Water Damage Restorers?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Do you find that you are in compliance with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Lead: Renovation, Repair and Painting rule?

Do you have your EPA certification yet, required by April of this year?

Are there exemptions or changes in restoration practices that can be used to obviate application of the rule to your business? I.E., subcontracting all drywall work on applicable structures.

For those not familiar, here's the EPA page that outlines the rule requirements. http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'll need to review the material. Thanks Shawn.

Several years ago we had someone come in from the state that put on a small seminar on lead for us.

I saw in the paper a couple months ago where the remodelers were complaining about compliance. PPE, fit testing and record keeping all the things that we restorers have been doing for years.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Now I understand that emergency projects are exempt from the warning sign, containment, waste handling, training, and certification requirements to the extent necessary to respond to the emergency.

However, does that mean the project can also be completed over a period of days, and still be exempt from start to finish? What about mold remediation jobs? Do they constitute the same emergency classification? Apparently a "Certified Rennovator" is still required to make a visual "clearance" inspection before the job can be finished. That would be a simple task for a Mold Remediator, but a Water Damage company will probably have to have their own Certified Renovator to be cost effective. Hence the need for EPA certification by April of this year.

I am having water damage restoration firms asking me these questions.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We are getting everyone in the family trained as soon as we can. I have some of the info taped to my desk right now. The rule is going to have a significant effect on a lot of businesses. My info says that only one certified renovator per company is required, however that person must be present on all jobs that involve renovation and repair. The fine for non compliance is $32,500. for each violation of the rule for each day of violation. It is also for any dwelling pre 1978 and anyone disturbing the surface of a wall. Could open up a big can of worms. What if you even wash the wall and someone in the enforcement says "you disturbed that wall". Could get to be an interpretation issue also.

Mark Saiger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom