water damage trivia question

steve g

Name
steve garrett
today I was going out checking a water damage job, the gpp was 96. for those of you that don't know that is alot and way too much. outside there was a gpp of about 27, so we decided to burp off the moisture or in this case I call it a belch. by the time we left the home the GPP had been reduced to 58, so in an area that is 6000 cubic feet, can anyone tell me how much water in gallons we released into the air?? if I had to guess I would say its around 20 gallons.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
You removed 0.279 gallons of water vapor from the structure by venting the air from the affected area out of the structure.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
6000 cubic feet in the structure.

The measure of grains is per pound of air which is approximately 14 cu feet. So, divide 6000 by 14 and get 428 pounds of air (approx).

You dropped 38 grains for each pound of air. 428 pounds times 38 grains equals 16,264 grains.

7,000 grains equals one pound. So 16,264 grains is about 2 1/3 pounds.

A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds. So, you removed 2.33/8.34 pounds or about .279 gallons.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
thats not much water, LOL. the reason I said 20 gal is because normally in a situation like that it would take a dehu about 24 hours to draw down the moisture that much, but I failed to think about all the moisture being pulled out of the wet materials from the air movers as well during that 24 hours. just goes to show how much moisture air movement is kicking up into the air. burping off all that moisture and almost pushing reset seems to be a big help, BTW when I went back and checked the job yesterday grains had dropped to 47 gpp, that is with everything closed up.

that is something I feel is lacking in the dehu calculations, that initial surge of moisture. I think it would be helpful in a perfect world to start off a job on the first day with 2 dehus instead of one, that would help take care of all the moisture surge from carpets etc, then on the second day go to one dehu, for drying the more dense materials.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
that is something I feel is lacking in the dehu calculations, that initial surge of moisture. I think it would be helpful in a perfect world to start off a job on the first day with 2 dehus instead of one, that would help take care of all the moisture surge from carpets etc, then on the second day go to one dehu, for drying the more dense materials.[/quote]

When drying with conventional equipment, (dehumidifiers and air movers), I would use the standard LGR dehumidifier calculations. They provide for enough dehumidification in the first 24 hours to continue accelerated evaporation and prevent secondary damage.
After that surge of moisture, evaporative cooling will slow and the LGR's will add heat to the drying chamber. The dehumidifiers will also lower the (vapor pressure) gpp and dew point resulting in more "degrees of separation" between ambient air temperature and dew point greatly increasing your evaporation potential for drying your more dense material.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
kmdineen said:
that is something I feel is lacking in the dehu calculations, that initial surge of moisture. I think it would be helpful in a perfect world to start off a job on the first day with 2 dehus instead of one, that would help take care of all the moisture surge from carpets etc, then on the second day go to one dehu, for drying the more dense materials.

When drying with conventional equipment, (dehumidifiers and air movers), I would use the standard LGR dehumidifier calculations. They provide for enough dehumidification in the first 24 hours to continue accelerated evaporation and prevent secondary damage.
After that surge of moisture, evaporative cooling will slow and the LGR's will add heat to the drying chamber. The dehumidifiers will also lower the (vapor pressure) gpp and dew point resulting in more "degrees of separation" between ambient air temperature and dew point greatly increasing your evaporation potential for drying your more dense material.[/quote]

Have to agree with Kevin here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom