Water Otter

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
west_pak_20-0640.jpg

I dont see how you can siphon detergent through this pump .. has anyone changed the unloader to have the ability to siphon detergent?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I can't see how it would work. If you put a dema valve, it will reduce your pressure and flow. I use a similar set up for hard surfaces but I set my pump on top of an old Ninja portable, dropping my suction and bypass hose into my solution tank which lets me clean with whatever chemical I like.

Reactions: Spurlington

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Do you already own the Otter? Are you needing it for pressure washing? How often will you need it?

At the cost of an Otter and if I used it infrequently, I'd rent it from the rental store.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I used to think the same way until I learned to work on them myself. Main thing is always keep the unloader greased and learn what size cam works for you. Probably the lowest amperage pump for the flow and pressure. I get 400-500 psi at 1.5 GPM at 2.75 amps, tested with clamp meter

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
This is my set up. General pump with 3/4 HP motor. Gives me 1200 psi at 1.5 GPM. Feeds directly out of the solution tank. One cord for pump, one cord for vacuum.
IMG_20170314_113134.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170314_113204.jpg
    IMG_20170314_113204.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 276
Reactions: Jimmy L

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Do you already own the Otter? Are you needing it for pressure washing? How often will you need it?

At the cost of an Otter and if I used it infrequently, I'd rent it from the rental store.

No I do not own an otter .. I have a commercial account that has tile n grout that will be cleaned 4 times a year .. alot of it and cannot use a TM .. must be porty only !! My porties max out at 500psi.

Then I was considering getting a Goliath porty - quad 2 stage vacs that says it has 250 plus cfms and 170 in lift .. which they also say I can run 200 feet of 2in hose with it. So Water Otter and Goliath seemed to be a good match which will allow me to auto feed along with auto pump.

Id like to have detergent for the cleaning although a good preconditioning and watewr rinse might be good enough.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
What pump should I get if Im looking to do tile n grout with a 50ft solution line and possibly carpet with 150ft solution line .. gotta be electric.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
What pump should I get if Im looking to do tile n grout with a 50ft solution line and possibly carpet with 150ft solution line .. gotta be electric.
You can go with any type of pump rigged like you have in the picture. One thing to keep in mind is unless you put a bypass back to the solution tank, your pump will overheat in a couple of minutes if you aren't on the trigger. If you look at my picture of my pump, you will see a green hose. That is the suction hose. Then the clear hose is the bypass hose. When you are off the trigger, the solution is continuously circulating. The red hose is a prime hose controlled by a shut off valve. When you first start the pump, because it is not a gravity feed, you have to open the priming valve until all the air is exhausted, when you close the valve, the pressure gauge will register the set psi. If it jumps around, it's not fully primed yet and open the valve a little longer.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I have the otter and I added chemical injection to it to include a Dwyer meter. It has worked flawlessly for 10 years.

I will post the particulars later if you are interested.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
OK, here it is.

IMG_0854.JPG

This is a J. E. Adams #7650 injector, 3/8" ports, installed just before the incoming water port on the 356 Pumptec.

IMG_0955.JPG

On the other side of the injector is a 6' long piece of 3/8" hose that acts as a primer for the pump so it can operate gravity fed from fresh water tank, or will operate connected to a faucet under pressure. There is a brass one way check valve at the end of the 6' piece of incoming water hose, so the pump keeps it's prime even when disconnected from a water supply. This pump alone will not prime itself, but with the leader hose and check valve, it will.

The clear tube comes out of the injector and goes to the Dwyer meter. The 7650 has to be adjusted to either gravity fed, or pressure fed from a faucet, so it accurately injects chemical into the incoming water stream. The 7650 adjuster is a knurled knob on the injector with a locking nut so vibration will not affect the setting.

The second pic shows the modified front of the Otter in order to install the Dwyer on the front of the pump.

With this setup you have a very powerful pump as it puts out 3.5 GPM.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I gather you are saying that the chemical injector works when connected to a faucet. I have never been successful in doing that as the incoming water flow is greater than the outgoing discharge. Does that injector pinch down the flow somehow?

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I gather you are saying that the chemical injector works when connected to a faucet. I have never been successful in doing that as the incoming water flow is greater than the outgoing discharge. Does that injector pinch down the flow somehow?

When using this setup it does not sacrifice ANY flow going to your wand, that's why the Dwyer is added. You have also converted this pump to always being primed, so you can even draw incoming water from a 5 gallon bucket, fresh water tank, or a faucet, all features that the pump itself does not possess.

The pump also runs dual wands. We have done this with a 2" wand at 8 flow, and another wand at 6 flow, for a 14 flow total, with no noticeable drop in flow/pressure when cleaning.

A simple tweak of the knob for faucet or fresh is all it takes to set the incoming flow of chemical.

This setup works just as well as the Cat pump in another dual wand TM we use. The Cat pump will pull prime by itself.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
When using this setup it does not sacrifice ANY flow going to your wand, that's why the Dwyer is added. You have also converted this pump to always being primed, so you can even draw incoming water from a 5 gallon bucket, fresh water tank, or a faucet, all features that the pump itself does not possess.

The pump also runs dual wands. We have done this with a 2" wand at 8 flow, and another wand at 6 flow, for a 14 flow total, with no noticeable drop in flow/pressure when cleaning.

A simple tweak of the knob for faucet or fresh is all it takes to set the incoming flow of chemical.

This setup works just as well as the Cat pump in another dual wand TM we use. The Cat pump will pull prime by itself.
Very nice

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
OK, here it is.

View attachment 70772

This is a J. E. Adams #7650 injector, 3/8" ports, installed just before the incoming water port on the 356 Pumptec.

View attachment 70774

On the other side of the injector is a 6' long piece of 3/8" hose that acts as a primer for the pump so it can operate gravity fed from fresh water tank, or will operate connected to a faucet under pressure. There is a brass one way check valve at the end of the 6' piece of incoming water hose, so the pump keeps it's prime even when disconnected from a water supply. This pump alone will not prime itself, but with the leader hose and check valve, it will.

The clear tube comes out of the injector and goes to the Dwyer meter. The 7650 has to be adjusted to either gravity fed, or pressure fed from a faucet, so it accurately injects chemical into the incoming water stream. The 7650 adjuster is a knurled knob on the injector with a locking nut so vibration will not affect the setting.

The second pic shows the modified front of the Otter in order to install the Dwyer on the front of the pump.

With this setup you have a very powerful pump as it puts out 3.5 GPM.

So youre running detergent thru the pump .. do you rinse it out after using? I went onto J.E Adams website and looks like you can put the injector on after the pump. Did you have the plate holding the Dwyer meter made or can I get it somewhere? Thanks alot for the pics n description !!

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I made it. It's a piece of aluminum painted black to match the pump.

Yes, thru the pump with the detergent. I have NEVER rinsed it out.

I also run detergent thru my Cat pumps, and one of them is 32 years old. I have rebuilt them when they needed it, but saw no signs of any other internal problem inside the pumps running detergent thru them.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I also run detergent through all my pumps whether truck mount or portable. I do flush with vinegar once in a while to remove detergent residue. Most extraction detergents have anti corrosion elements built in.

Reactions: Bob Savage

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I also run detergent through all my pumps whether truck mount or portable. I do flush with vinegar once in a while to remove detergent residue. Most extraction detergents have anti corrosion elements built in.
Actually I do the same thing with the vinegar on occasion in both truckmounts.

If you don't, the calcium build-up inside all components within the water system of the truckmount or portable (high and low pressure) can reduce the diameter of the pipe/hose and effect the flow rate.

Reactions: Cleanworks
Back
Top Bottom