Water Softener

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
around 50 is pretty standard...give or take a hour or 2.........

very simple unit........

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
Jeremy I agree. The size of grained unit will dictate how often you have to regenerate. I went with a 32,ooo grain because I didn't want to regenerate every week like I would have with an 8,000 grain. You'll figure out pretty quickly on whatever size you get by simply testing the water's hardness in increments. For me, I started at 30 hours and then retested in increments of 10 hours. You'll find your sweet spot for where you live.

Reactions: Jeremy N

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
After 50 hrs machine time you regenerate. Better than nothing but still not very accurate. I want less to think about not one more thing.

Gene

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
50 hours is always a good mark to grease and look things over...do a little maintenance and what ever needs to be done...during this time it takes no effort to toss a hose a regenerate the softener.........

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I'm sure the urge to do maintenance will come back with a new machine. currently i change the oil every 100 and fix whats broke. i check levels but thats it. i change blower oil every 5k with synthetic. can't remember the last time i changed the pump fluid. the timer hasn't worked for a while and is stuck. it moves occasionally and adds a few more ticks. i can't use that to keep track of time anymore. I'm to tired during the week plus its dark when we are done and i don't want to see my stuff on the weekends. i know myself and it won't get done. the kinetico does it for itself and i have the room.

gene

Mikey P

Administrator
Water-Softener-sml.jpg

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
that black one looks like the abc equipment water softner not a kinetico. and i think the manual says not to store salt in it over night. adding salt everyday semms like a pain.

here is a website with lot of info......http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/water_softeners.htm

id rather have one with a salt tank. there are lots on ebay just search for fleck.

hes said it was Kenetico black...not a kenetico softener..

you add your salt and recharge approx..every 50 hours....

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
You only add salt when you need to clean the resin from the build up of minerals. Then flush it out and go again. How often depends on your water hardness and volumne used.

Gene

tubad sosad

Name
joe mama
ok my mistake. pretty good deal then. how long does it take to reach the 50 hour mark?

i bet some dum ass is going to say 50 hours. probably a month or three weeks?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
ok my mistake. pretty good deal then. how long does it take to reach the 50 hour mark?

we all run our trucks different...some run them harder then others..some only work them part time..so everyone is different....and as Gene says..all areas are different water hardness....on my first softener I tested the water until I got about how long I needed to re charge..for me 50 hours was pretty good....so that is what I stick with....I really don't know how long it takes me to get it to that point..I pay more attention the the hour meter...not how long it took me to get it there............

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner

Technically speaking the softener can absorb so many grains of hardness - so if your softener is 32,000 grains and your water hardness is 32 grains you can process 1,000 gallons between recharges, or 2,000 gallons if the water is 16 grains, etc. You can keep track of gallons used, or test the hardness of the output, or do like Jim and pick an easy-to-remember interval. As long as your chosen interval stays under the maximum grains you're golden.

Keep in mind that your local water hardness may be way different than Jim's though. You should figure out what your local average hardness is and your typical gallons used - you might be able to go many more hours than Jim (or maybe have to recharge more often!) depending on your situation.

Jerry

Supportive Member
Anyone have a DI unit in their truck? Or the "water stick"?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
where is a pic with opening up the top???

thats the 1 bitch i have with mine, is getting the salt in through the funnel.....kind of a pita....other then that swapping hoses around is no biggy

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
where is a pic with opening up the top???

thats the 1 bitch i have with mine, is getting the salt in through the funnel.....kind of a pita....other then that swapping hoses around is no biggy

Here is how I do it:

Get a 5 gallon bucket and ad about 1/4 full of rock salt. Let sit for several hours before using.
Put transfer pump on top and put supply of transfer pump to the water softener inlet and feed the discharge side back into the bucket..... Cycle, cycle, cycle

Get rid of salt water and cycle a bucket or two of clean water, discharge this water and do not run back in..

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
My normal water is around 9 grains and after I cycle my softener I'm at 0-1/2.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom