Waves in carpet

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
Question A, anyway to tell before you clean if the carpet will get waves in it?

and B: anyway to prevent it from happing?

steve_64

To prevent, pay attention as you are wanding. If you are locking down and using heat you can stretch the carpet. Just make sure you wand evenly and stretch all the carpet the same. Otherwise you cause waves and lumps. Usually where you stop the wet stroke. You have to pick it back up and pull it to the edge of the carpet with the next pass.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
FYI on this job the carpet got the waves within 5 minutes of a very light prespray.

Hum.. was this a rug or carpet? If rug Maybe it was made by Stark and is a bordered rug.. if that's the case then you fk up.
If its carpet You can test before hand by pulling on the carpet. If it was installed incorrectly it will pull up easily and thus prone to wave

Reactions: Shorty
Name
Brad Gouveia
Not sure if you can tell before hand. I found the best way to put the customer at ease is to reference your fingers tips and how they become wavy. Once they dry everything is back to normal. It is the the top expanding from the moisture while the bottom is not.

Name
Jeff T
My experience on CGD, it usually only gets waves if the the installer uses the 'edge glue technique,(lazy and cheap way to install)', you WILL get waves. I did a job last year, the waves were almost big enough to surf!!!!!.... And the client ALWAYS blames us!

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I did an apartment building once that had 1 year old carpet installed. Not only did it wave but shrunk at the seams. The strata contacted the installer who said, "we perimeter glued it". Which means they glued the edges only. Not an approved installation technique. The installer refused to correct the problem and the strata had to eat the cost. It is never the fault of the cleaner unless you got it too wet and it took several days to dry.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If it's rippling due to installation (installer did not power stretch) it is already there, yet less visible. You just got to pay attention (look for it). And note on work order (which they sign) as pre-exting condition.

Some time you can tell by seeing areas (ridges) that are wearing unevenly (darker and more worn out) differently than the carpet. The ridges wear faster as they stick out a little. Sometime you kind of kick the carpet gently (stomp forward?) and it will bunch, buckle, showing loss of stretch or bad installation.

If you wet clean, you can't prevent it but you sure can tell the client ahead of time that it's gonna happen. Sure changes the whole experience if you do. And it will settle. 99.9% of the time :winky:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleanworks

SamIam

Name
sam miller
It's moisture related, I've seen swamp coolers create swelling in residential setting.

No way of knowing when or why.

But then more water introduced to the backing the more waves.

When I know I have a carpet I'll lightly pre spray.

And release the trigger on the back stroke and continue vacuuming and not allow any puddling of water.

Dry stroke and use fans.

Helps reduce swelling and duration of swelling.

knapster

Name
Ray
You can check the stretch on a carpet by going to the middle of the room and pulling up on an open area.
If you can pull up and down on it with not much force and it causes ripples (remember the parachute game in elementary gym class?) then the carpet will need a restretch regardless of what you do.
If you believe that pulling dirt out will help prolong the life of the carpet, the other side of that is maintaining a good even stretch. Wrinkles and poor seams will wear out 10x faster than anything else.
If you are finding wrinkles on a CGD it is either installer error (wrong trowel, wrong glue, wrong technique, didn't care etc...) or, an old hard set glue that has run its course and the rug should probably be taken up.
Has anyone knowingly cleaned a double stick glue down and if so how did it turn out?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You can check the stretch on a carpet by going to the middle of the room and pulling up on an open area.
If you can pull up and down on it with not much force and it causes ripples (remember the parachute game in elementary gym class?) then the carpet will need a restretch regardless of what you do.
If you believe that pulling dirt out will help prolong the life of the carpet, the other side of that is maintaining a good even stretch. Wrinkles and poor seams will wear out 10x faster than anything else.
If you are finding wrinkles on a CGD it is either installer error (wrong trowel, wrong glue, wrong technique, didn't care etc...) or, an old hard set glue that has run its course and the rug should probably be taken up.
Has anyone knowingly cleaned a double stick glue down and if so how did it turn out?
I have a condo building with double stick glue down. The first five or six years it cleaned up beautifully. The last 2 times, several hallways are buckling. The second floor, which is a crossover floor and has more foot traffic is the worst. I have advised them that the installation is failing and they need to take some action.

knapster

Name
Ray
I have a condo building with double stick glue down. The first five or six years it cleaned up beautifully. The last 2 times, several hallways are buckling. The second floor, which is a crossover floor and has more foot traffic is the worst. I have advised them that the installation is failing and they need to take some action.
...nothing but trouble. Asking a glue bonded surface to perform any longer than that atop a flexible piece of pad defies logic, especially in high traffic areas where some overzealous steamcleaner is going to eventually pull the thing apart like a grilled cheese sando

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
Nate W.
I have cleaned double stick wool in a hotel corridor and we also installed some as well.. As long as it's installed properly you shouldn't have problems..

You have bonus points going for yourself as you can spot installation problems given your background.. My pops requires our installers to power stretch per the standards as it'd be very embarrassing to have a job come back with him being a flooring inspector.. Too many installers are in such a hurry they don't think about saving they're knees till it's too late..

Edited because of spelling

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom