"We" or "I"

Bob Foster

Your a one-man-band with a super sophisticated melt in your mouf mega ultra professional website And your expounding to Mrs. Wana Kleen about why your the bestest for her there is.

Do you talk in the first person or not?

Do you say we or do you say I when it comes to your services?

Why? Proznconz of both?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
On a website I think it should be "We" unless you really plan to stay a one man show.

"We" can mean anything from employee's to spouses or just things you outsource like accountants and advertisers.

In an email or letters it's better to us "I" unless it's a marketing email.

Just my 2 cents....it probably wasn't worth that. lol

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I prefer We.

But, it won't really matter if you just end every other sentence in "eh".

Eh!!

Becker

Name
Becker
OH the words a sole operator use.

We ( me myself and I)

Shop ( a shelf in the garage if that )

Office ( a spot on the dining room table )

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I've always said " we " not for any reason other than it was what came natural. I never noticed until my wife mentioned it one day. Just feels right.
gene

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Becker said:
OH the words a sole operator use.

We ( me myself and I)

Shop ( a shelf in the garage if that )

Office ( a spot on the dining room table )

Yeah, WTF does it matter?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'd recommend talking in the first person, unless your target audience is hip enough to go all the way to third person.

Pros to saying I: You'll be honest. You'll come across as honest. You won't have to remember to use your "office staffer" voice on the phone or wear a stick-on mustache when you're the "technician."

Cons to saying I: None.

Pros to saying WE: You can pretend you're something you're not.

Cons to saying WE: You have to remember your story for why the boss is always the one cleaning their carpet. You'll be embarrassed when you're caught.

If it's just you it isn't we.

PS: While your at it, make sure you take website pictures of your van in front of a row of vans at the car dealership, and call your company "Whatever & Associates."

Bob Foster

The Great Oz said:
PS: While your at it, make sure you take website pictures of your van in front of a row of vans at the car dealership, and call your company "Whatever & Associates."

Overthetop.jpg

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The Great Oz said:
I'd recommend talking in the first person, unless your target audience is hip enough to go all the way to third person.

Pros to saying I: You'll be honest. You'll come across as honest. You won't have to remember to use your "office staffer" voice on the phone or wear a stick-on mustache when you're the "technician."

Cons to saying I: None. How about the customer who doesn't want a serial killer in the house? :mrgreen:

Pros to saying WE: You can pretend you're something you're not.

Cons to saying WE: You have to remember your story for why the boss is always the one cleaning their carpet. You'll be embarrassed when you're caught.

If it's just you it isn't we.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
The PRO of using "I" is that the custy knows who they are talking to, they know that there isn't going to be some "kid" or some big dude show up at the door *(refer back to the scared woman post a few days ago)
You can tell them you are the owner, and you'll be looking after the work personally.

I often fell into the habit of saying "we", but need to catch myself and say "I".

If it isn't that way on my site, it will be when I switch it over to an HTML site and rewrite the copy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom