Weaved wool

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Based on it's weave, I'm concerned about potential shrinkage due to the possibility of Jute or another natural fiber somewhere in it's foundation if over-wet, or even wet at all.

Anyone familiar with this type of weave, and the chances of it having a Jute (or similar) foundation prone to shrinkage problems??

Is it's weave the only clue in identifying the possible presence of Jute, or are there any other indicators that can be factored in??

Gotta play this safe.

What say you????

View attachment 3869
View attachment 3870
View attachment 3871
View attachment 3872
View attachment 3873

Ron K

Goomer how is it installed? Laying loose or tacked down? I would clean it, with appropriate wool solutions, don't over wet, extra drying strokes and speed dry with a snail and aipath fan.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Goomer how is it installed? Laying loose or tacked down? I would clean it, with appropriate wool solutions, don't over wet, extra drying strokes and speed dry with a snail and aipath fan.

Tacked down.......nice and tight.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I agree with Ron.
In addition, if you're very concerned:

• Clean with low PSI.
  • Wet pass on the pull only. Making sure that the end of the pass is dry only (avoiding wetter end of pass.)
  • And pay special attention to over lap areas as the wool will absorb extra and water will go deeper.

Last edited:

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Tacked down.......nice and tight.

Does that mean you tried to pull up a corner to see the back and you couldn't get it out? You do know as everyone should that the proper way to disengage a carpet is to use a knee kicker to pull it off the pins as you pull up with a carpet awl? It does look like some expensive stuff.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Does that mean you tried to pull up a corner to see the back and you couldn't get it out? You do know as everyone should that the proper way to disengage a carpet is to use a knee kicker to pull it off the pins as you pull up with a carpet awl? It does look like some expensive stuff.

The bottom landing had a small binded "mat" piece the was not secured.
The last pic has one end of it flipped over to show both sides.
The remaining stairs and hallway is secured directly to the floor somehow, I don't think tackless strip as it is not flush to the wall as the pics show, and it is somewhat thin and nothing can be felt through it.

Didn't want to fook with it much as I agree it appears very expensive, and wan to play this one very safe.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I ran across a sisal installation that looks very similar to that and they had glued it down.

The reason I was looking at it was we VERY, VERY lightly wet it when cleaning and it still shrank like crazy!!!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It doesn't appear very soiled, looks more like maintenance cleaning than corrective cleaning.

Why risk it, we would OP that just so there was minimal moisture used with less chance of an issue.

Prevacuum well, spray down encapsulation solution and pad off.

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
I think it's wool and Sisal - in the 2nd to last picture which is up close the beige in between the black/blue looks like sisal or cotton. See if they have a piece to take out and test or if not do a small test with an upholstery tool in the most hidden area.
I have a customer whose rug (180 sq ft) was made in Guatemala that we clean with an low moisture upholstery tool doing 2/3 sq ft at a time with air movers on immediately after cleaning each section.

Test test test and if not sure pass on it.

Last edited:

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
or do what doc says - lightly - you don' want fibers to become fuzzy.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Agreed, don't fuzz the fibers.

Just slightly (hand) wring out your pads. That should give you some lubrication combined with what you've sprayed on the carpet. Shouldn't be a problem!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You won't have a concern with wool and this type of construction. I have to guess, but from the picture it appears that the carpet is the type that has a coating of hot glue sprayed on the back, which gives it some body and will reduce the chance of shrinkage. If the backing feels hard and spiky or hard and slick it has a coating.

The gray yarn looks like wool, but may not be, so you're going to have to test it. The black yarn is more likely to be jute, which will be a concern for bleeding, so you're going to have to test it too. As long as the carpet is over 50% wool face (with no bleeding) you can do a light extraction and not worry much about shrinkage.

If the face fiber is all jute your concern is dye movement or dye loss, since I think the carpet construction and installation will keep eliminate shrinkage concerns. The hall carpet might be stuck down with a "Rug Lock" type of sticky pad, but more likely it's stapled to the floor. If you can't pull up a corner it's stapled. The stairway carpet looks to be stapled over pad and well installed.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I've cleaned something similar it was wool and jute some of this stuff is really expensive ..why, i don't know? It wasn't very dirty
so I turned the PSI down to 100 ran air movers and extra dry passes cleaned up fine we didn't prespray.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
If in doubt, clean it with a HWE low moisture upholstery tool. Something like a Drimaster should be safe. Put some air movers on it afterward.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I appreciate all the input, but I must say I am still undecided on this one.

I am going to try to obtain the installers contact info.

Despite me being a member of "The League of Extraordinary Porty Hacks", I think its best to know exactly what I am dealing with on this one, as opposed to ASSuming anything and fooking it up.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
It is a wool flatweave. Wool and acrylic. The wefts are made of jute . Sometimes the backing is jute sometimes action back. In your case it is a woven product.

Last edited:

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Contact the manufacturer and put it on them. We did an artificial sisal in a restaurant a few years ago that turned out to be real sisal. It was never meant to be seamed or even laid as wall to wall. It was shrinking before we cleaned it and we got info faxed to us from the manufacturer. To bad they sent the wrong specs the first time saying it was ok to hwe. After it shrunk to 1 inch gaps they came back with different paperwork that said it was not to be laid in this manner or wet cleaned. Apparently the designer( owner of the property) insisted on it being used as her and her mother (who I also clean for) only have natural fibers in their homes. You should have seen the look on her face when I told her the hallway was nylon. The installer that I got to talk to later said they wouldn't listen to him and they brought crowds of rich friends through the joint while he was laying the carpet and the hardwood that was also a mess.

Back
Top Bottom