Well that's a bummer...

ButlerFrank

Name
Frank Ellerker
Someone sure needs to buy a Harley. Their sales are hurting big time. Heard they were closing down a plant.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Someone sure needs to buy a Harley. Their sales are hurting big time. Heard they were closing down a plant.
Our mechanic retired to open a Harley repair shop. He hasn't talked to me since I mentioned the average age of a new Harley buyer is 60.

The smaller Sportster is still selling well, and they recently began selling even smaller "Street" bikes that they hope will appeal to younger buyers. They look good at least, but 500 to 750 cc may not be everyone's idea of small.

Reactions: ButlerFrank
Name
Steve Lawrence
Retail has gone to shit in the USA, even Toys R Us filed for bankruptcy. But the news says retail is awesome. WTF?!?!?!

Josh

Supportive Member
Name
Josh
I heard Harley is coming out with an electric bike, to be released next year.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I heard Harley is coming out with an electric bike, to be released next year.

Harley-Davidson Confirms First Production Electric Motorcycle

You just need to wait 18 months.

Feb 2, 2018
gettyimages-451105150-1517608648.jpg

GETTY IMAGESANDREW BURTON
Amid slumping sales, Harley-Davidson will attempt to attract younger riders by offering its first production electric motorcycle. The new bike, which has yet to be named, is expected to be available within 18 months. The Milwaukee motorcycle maker first dipped its toes in the EV world by touring the country a few years back with a concept electric motorcycle, theLiveWire, for riders and members of the media to take on test rides. Now they seem poised to go all-in on an EV.

Harley-Davidson will continue to hang their hat on the Softail and Touring motorcycles that its aging customers adore. But the company's foray into electric bikes is aimed squarely at a younger crowd that values Teslas over hot rods.

Performance should not be an issue, as the LiveWire could ton-up at 100 mph and do 0-60 in less than four seconds. The prototype's main drawback was a limited range of roughly 55 miles. However, battery and motor technology have improved dramatically since the LiveWire was introduced, and with other electric motorcycles topping 200 miles in range, Harley's new bike should be able to carry you a good bit farther than the LiveWire.

If you can't wait a year and a half for an electric Harley, check out Zero motorcycles, which has been producing electric motorcycles since 2010.

Source: New Atlas

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom