Well...what now?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I used to get a little annoyed when I would hear about companies being booked out a few weeks. I thought they were telling some stories...

Every one's idea of being "booked up" is different. Are they working 8am to 8pm? Saturdays all day? Lot easier for a one man show wanting to be home by 4pm with minimal Saturdays.

I had a "carpet only" j0b go over $1100 on Friday. There were 3 other jobs that day.

Wait, you did a 1100$ job and three other jobs that day?:eekk: Holy poooop, how???

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A rug plant can be a real money maker but you have to look at your costs. Never mind how much the plant and equipment is going to set you back, if you don't have someone working for you doing the pick up and delivery and cleaning the rugs for you, it is going to take time away from your inhome and commercial cleaning. You have to look at what is more profitable. If you have a rug plant nearby, it might be better to see if they can make a deal for you that allows you to make a profit, without you having to do all the work. It sounds good at first when you charge $400 for a 9x12 rug but when you factor in the time and gas for picking up and delivering, cleaning in the shop, bagging in plastic or paper, you may find your hourly rate is less than your regular cleaning rates.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Here I thought I was moving slow, I'm still alone after 5 years.
Russ,

I did not realize you are still running solo, as Richard said, get full time help. You will be able to do several more jobs a day. While you are looking over the job, your associate can be hooking up water, running hoses and moving furniture for you to start cleaning. I personally will not work without a helper anymore, had some weird things happen, not interested some people's drama.

Reactions: Mikey P and Russ T.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Guys, if I could get even one of my elves back it would be so much easier. It really goes much more efficiently with a helper.

Russ, be very choosy. VERY choosy. I recommend you hire the heart and teach the skill, so you never have to worry about theft, laziness or carelessness. Have a chat with your accountant and don't exceed a set percentage of gross as you decide what wage to offer. Start lower and step it up as he or she masters phases of your trade like setting up the hoses, room prep, supervised spotting, so on. Think it theough and make them earn it, so it means more.

Then unlike me, try to have enough work to keep some slob from nabbing 'em away from you!

Able 1

Name
Keith
The first one is easy.. This is a huge step! You are going to love it!

You are going to get comments about how "fast" you are now though!! I get it all the time, but they still keep calling.. I tell them, "we aren't fast, we are efficient"!

Reactions: Mikey P and Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Thanks Keith!

He seems really excited to be coming aboard. He's 24 and married. He has a young daughter and another on the way. Really nice kid that was easy to talk to. I think I can work with that for now.

Seems the Kid might be in the market for a backup truckmount too! The Clean Machine is growing!!!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Does his wife work?
Will he be on salary or unemployment during the winter?
I told him that I thought I could give it a good run through the end of the year. I'll work with him a bit and see what will work better for everyone.

I like the salary idea though.

steve_64

I'm talking to a couple prospects too. Just to much work for Genny and i and her two employees.

Gotta ride this wave.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
IMG_0416.JPG

Just a little sneak peek at the gem that is soon to be mine!

I feel like a kid.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Going from owner op to having employees is the hardest thing I have ever done in business. I was such a control freak, everything had to be done 100% just as I did it. They had to move the wand exactly like me, move the hose exactly like me, heck I wanted them to look like me. It was years before I could step back enough and understand that a good tech can do things a little different and still blow peoples mind. The main thing you need in an employee is people skills. These guys need to be able to talk with anyone, pet the dog and butter Mrs. XXX up. That is more important than anything.

Before running out and buying another truck and starting a guy running full time you need to do some things.
1. Raise your prices. If you are booked that far out you may not be charging enough. Remember the custy is not as concerned about price as you think they are.
2. Having 2 months ( at least ) of expenses in cash is a must. Employees cost a ton of money. You can plan on it but it always costs more than you think. Taxes, insurance, state workmans comp insurance, another truck with all its costs etc.
3. A good employee will not work for cheap and will not stay around. I pay my guys waaaaay more money than anyone else in the area. They will do anything for me because I treat them better than they have ever been treated before. If I can buy a house they should be able too as well.
4. debt is a killer. Very little as possible. Cash is king, I dont care what people say.

This move will be stressful but can be done. Plan, plan, plan. Talk with your accountant, find out what the state and feds will screw you with, go to SFS.

You will have to learn to let go. I still fight that everyday.
Post of the Month!!

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We are selling protector, plenty of it.

I'm so happy to see this. I new it would take off for you guys once you got out of your own head!

I just ordered 9 more gallons of Maxim last week. I think I'm going through 10 gallons a month at this rate but am new to this so we will see. I'm seeing much bigger tickets, since adding the Maxim. I had a "carpet only" j0b go over $1100 on Friday. There were 3 other jobs that day. One was completed and 2 had to be pushed back.

This easy add on is what will give you the $$ you need to pay your new hire's wages! Keep up the great work!

Reactions: MR CLEAN

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I'm so happy to see this. I new it would take off for you guys once you got out of your own head!

This easy add on is what will give you the $$ you need to pay your new hire's wages! Keep up the great work!
We appreciate the encouragement! John and yourself are really good at listening to concerns and specifically addressing them. Mel and I believed in Maxim prior to St. Pete but we still didn't sell it...

I seriously think we did a lot of customers an injustice in the past. It's a great product if you're trying to prolong the life of your carpet....which is why we're there anyway.

You guys helped us to get over a few hang ups that were costing us a fortune!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Maxim is also the product that performed the best in Clearwater.

I think Jim Pemberton might attest to that?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom