What are your go to green products?

Tom Forsythe

"Green" products are not anti-allergen in most cases. Most of the 40 or so "green"products we make will have some odor, fragrance, solvents that are volatile. Master Blend has an Anti-allergen line that I would recommend as they were designed for that exact purpose. Products with no volatiles could fit the bill. I would arrange for the SDS of the product that you want to use to be sent to their doctor. Let the doctor decide. We also need to remember that the carpet is a filter which collects contaminants some of which can become volatile as a result of the cleaning process. I would suggest that the allergic person not be present at the time of the cleaning and return the next day after the carpets are dry (make sure they will be dry) or to an area of the house not cleaned.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I used to recommend Procyon but since you can't use Procyon with CRB's we have been using Saiger's Free and Clear with no issues.
I use Procyon with my crb all the time. You have to wash it as the end of the day. Most presprays have some type of salt. You have to wash all your gear or it will rot. Just like fishing in saltwater. When you come in, you flush your outboard with fresh water and rinse your trailer off. My crb is still pristine.

Reactions: Living The Dream
Name
Swani
Name
Swani
"Green" products are not anti-allergen in most cases. Most of the 40 or so "green"products we make will have some odor, fragrance, solvents that are volatile. Master Blend has an Anti-allergen line that I would recommend as they were designed for that exact purpose. Products with no volatiles could fit the bill. I would arrange for the SDS of the product that you want to use to be sent to their doctor. Let the doctor decide. We also need to remember that the carpet is a filter which collects contaminants some of which can become volatile as a result of the cleaning process. I would suggest that the allergic person not be present at the time of the cleaning and return the next day after the carpets are dry (make sure they will be dry) or to an area of the house not cleaned.
Great info! Thanks for your input!

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Bio-Encap.jpg

Carries the EPA's DFE certification!

http://www.excellent-supply.com/Bio-Encap-GREEN-Encapsulation-Detergent--4-Gallon-Case_p_293.html

Attachments

• Bio-Encap.jpg
    Bio-Encap.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 124

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It depends on what you are looking for and what your customer is looking for.
When a manufacturer adds "Green" to the name of the product it means zilch, nada, ain't worth the ink it is printed on.
And reports from "independent" labs, are worth even less, unless you know who paid for their "independence". And then you find out what they're really worth.

This is not to get into the discussion about what is really green, is it really healthier?.... and all that jazz. We all have our opinions.
Unless it has a Green Seal or Safe Choice (DfE) label, you don't know what you're getting. May be great, but you don't know.

Last edited:

Tom Forsythe

I do support third party certifications, but I have observed a few suspicious instances of potential corruption worthy of our federal government. Not all of the third party certifications are worth the money paid and some of the reporting restrictions force you to essentially give away the formula. The EPA DfE does have a Safer Chemical ingredient list available to anybody on line which I use to determine our manufacturers certification of Green Balance. You can see our Green Balance standard by going on our interlink website and clicking the logo on the page of our of our 40 approved products. Start with our Encapuclean Green DS which is also EPA DfE approved.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Folks could - and have - go for days talking about what "green" really means. But I think the point to focus on here is that the customer wanted something to avoid an allergic reaction. If the true concern is actually an allergen, then the Master Blend line of Responsible Care Anti-Allergen products are the only ones I am aware of that are specifically for allergy sufferers. Here is a link - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?search_val=allergen

The Master Blend line deals with dust mites, pet dander, pollen and such that may be in the carpets.

If the client's real concern is what is safe for me and my family, that is an entirely different discussion.

Name
Swani
Folks could - and have - go for days talking about what "green" really means. But I think the point to focus on here is that the customer wanted something to avoid an allergic reaction. If the true concern is actually an allergen, then the Master Blend line of Responsible Care Anti-Allergen products are the only ones I am aware of that are specifically for allergy sufferers. Here is a link - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?search_val=allergen

The Master Blend line deals with dust mites, pet dander, pollen and such that may be in the carpets.

If the client's real concern is what is safe for me and my family, that is an entirely different discussion.
Scott, I often use encapuguard green after every job as a post spray treatment and then bonnet. Do you think this would be a bad choice after using after a hypoallergenic prespray for HWE?

Last edited:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Scott, I often use encapuguard green after every job as a post spray treatment and then bonnet. Do you think this would be a bad choice after using a hypoallergenic prespray for HWE?

You won't find a safer encapsulating post spray. So, if you decide that is the route to go, you have the right product. Often those who are highly allergic, vacuum and clean their carpet more often to reduce the soil load. This means wicking is less likely. You may not need the post spray.

Name
Swani
You won't find a safer encapsulating post spray. So, if you decide that is the route to go, you have the right product. Often those who are highly allergic, vacuum and clean their carpet more often to reduce the soil load. This means wicking is less likely. You may not need the post spray.
Great! Thanks for the feedback. My specific job I have coming is a berber. I always worry about browning and wick back. Do you think using End Zone for a extraction rinse will compromise anything if I'm using a hypoallergenic prespray?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I do support third party certifications, but I have observed a few suspicious instances of potential corruption worthy of our federal government. Not all of the third party certifications are worth the money paid and some of the reporting restrictions force you to essentially give away the formula. The EPA DfE does have a Safer Chemical ingredient list available to anybody on line which I use to determine our manufacturers certification of Green Balance. You can see our Green Balance standard by going on our interlink website and clicking the logo on the page of our of our 40 approved products. Start with our Encapuclean Green DS which is also EPA DfE approved.
Tom, do you support Green seal Certification? What does it really mean?

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
People have allergies to things that are natural, Cats, dogs, horses, trees, hay, bees, shrimp, peanuts etc. etc. etc all would be considered green but not anti-allergenic. Like Scott mentioned anti-allergen and green are two different animals.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Chemical sensitivity is what may need to be considered when using cleaners

Tom Forsythe

I support Green Seal, but it is quite expensive for the benefit in our industry. EPA DfE is a better program as it provides information for everyone without having to pay to see the information. https://www.epa.gov/saferchoice/safer-ingredients#scil
EPA DfE's certification program is more reasonable in costs long term. My issue is that their current ingredient disclosure rules force me to list all of my ingredients unless I spend alot of effort applying for a non-disclosure that is not guaranteed. Give me that type of information and once I have collected all of the raw materials, I will have a duplicate in a week.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Same problem that equipment manufacturers have. Someone develops an unique machine or tool and the vultures can't wait to copy it. It seems that those who invest in patents, trademarks or copywriters are wasting their money. First and biggest to the market and the little guys be damned seems to be the rule of the day.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Often?
Are we talking residential or commercial? Olefin or nylon?

Talking residential: If wicking happens often, you may want to check your technique. Been cleaning for 28 years and it rarely happens. And what browning are we talking about?
If cellulosic browning from jute, these carpets are a rarity now. And an encapsulation product is not exactly the solution. If browning from chemicals, use the right ones.

IMHO, this whole marketing hoopla about following with an encapsulation product is silly. You just brought the carpet to a clean condition (hopefully) why smear it with another chemical? If you want to follow with a bonnet (most of the time not necessary) do it without the smear.
It will pick some extra soil and will not load the carpet with another chemical.

Just my two cents. Feel free to ignore.

Name
Swani
Often?
Are we talking residential or commercial? Olefin or nylon?

Talking residential: If wicking happens often, you may want to check your technique. Been cleaning for 28 years and it rarely happens. And what browning are we talking about?
If cellulosic browning from jute, these carpets are a rarity now. And an encapsulation product is not exactly the solution. If browning from chemicals, use the right ones.

IMHO, this whole marketing hoopla about following with an encapsulation product is silly. You just brought the carpet to a clean condition (hopefully) why smear it with another chemical? If you want to follow with a bonnet (most of the time not necessary) do it without the smear.
It will pick some extra soil and will not load the carpet with another chemical.

Just my two cents. Feel free to ignore.
I've never had an issue with it. It's just a preventative step I take. I always post bonnet, so using a product like encapuguard green just made the most sense to me.

Tom Forsythe

Encapuguard Green is multi-functional. It is acidic so if necessary it will neutralize alkaline residues. It also limits wicking which is more useful when cleaning polyester, olefin and triexta. Proper cleaning techniques will also limit wicking. It is considered a "green" protector as it does not contain fluorochemicals. It provides soil resistance for all fibers and stain resistance for nylon and wool. There is no oil or water repellency. I would also say that it will be more useful on commercial carpet than residential carpet since soil resistance in most commercial settings is needed more than repellency and stain resistance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom