What do I need to get into Vinyl floor cleaning?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I clean carpets and upholstery and I just did my first small vinyl job, a little over 100 sqft, I charged 120.- but I was there for 3 1/2 hrs. Most of it of course was to wait for the coats to dry.
I learned a few things.

#1 Thanks to some of you who gave me advice I learned the basics of how to do it.
#2 I learned that I like it enough to maybe offer it as an additional service.
#3 I learned that I probably didn't charge enough.( But on that job I basically got paid to learn and that's OK too)

Reading some of the threads on this board I'm getting the impression that vinyl cleaning is most profitable with large areas(2000sqft and up) and big machines.Some of you show up with a crew for these jobs.

So if I wanted to do it right, how would I start? What kind of equipment would I need?
What's the best way to learn how to do hard floors? Are there classes for that?
What tools would I need to be able to take on a good sized job?
What do you typically charge per sqft? Do you have a minimum?
Are helpers essential or could I do most commercial jobs on my own?
I have a 5X6 Trailer that I could dedicate for this work because I guess I don't have enough room in my carpet cleaning truck for everything I might need to bring.
It seems like it would be too much stuff to cram into my carpet van so separate vehicles might be more practical anyway.
Do you guys have any advice for me?

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I started doing it 7 yeares ago with a 175, shop vac and mop buckets. Moved up to a power flite vac next. Then I found a 1500 rpm on craigs list for $120 and later found a small minuteman 170 scrubber for $300 that needed batteries and some cleaning. I have 2 accounts now that bring me$520 a month for about 6 hours of work. Once a year I strip and wax them and make about another $1500. I just did a office for $1500 a few months ago. It was a long day. Not as easy as cc but it's money.

It's hard work but you can make money at it raine or shine. Floorguy is the guy to talk to he knows how to make money at this.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
If you have some time around the 2nd week of Dec....you can drive down here...i have a few jobs, that I am doing scrub and recoats on....kinda like a strip...but not as intense...it will show you the basics, and then you can decide...ohhh and maybe a strip as well...let me know and i can schedule accordingly....

give me a call and we can talk about it... Or if that doesnt work....i can give you some pointers to...

801-898-6210

Reactions: gimmeagig

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I aint no floorguy but I have done a bunch of hard floors. I know you can learn a lot on youtube. You can see all the equipment you need/want. And any one that thinks there's no money in VCT is a little off the mark. Another good source is a local supplier. Go in and ask him/them what you need. What it will cost and start making a budget.

I would pick up a good 175 first. Then a good wet/dry with floor squeegee. Then a finish applicator. It sounds like you already have the basics i.e. mops, buckets, doodlebug etc. You're on your way to a lucrative (if you don't take the low bid approach) new venture. Stick with it and you'll get better and faster.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I started out carpet only , now vinyl is about 30% of my business. I started out with a 175 and an old portable I used for a wet vac. Then just like carpet cleaning you can purchase equipment like auto scrubbers and propane gear if you want to get it to the bigger jobs. I like doing vct work . I like that once you get a reputation for stripping and waxing you will have some nice ones come your way. You can really see some nice cash when you get into larger strip and wax and larger new construction. Plus if you can strip floors it will get you more carpet jobs and vice versa easy to upsell to current customers. Plus if you can get into maintaining it that can also bring some nice monthly cash

Reactions: GCCLee

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
about what to charge?
we have a 250 min for any vct floor no matter what the size
figure u are goin to blow a half a day any way ya look at it
or figure what your half a day rate is and stick to it.
we get it and a lot of people are really glad for someone to do it
if ya have a big acct of course u are goin to have to eat it sometimes but
while ya are there buff some of there floors for them while ya are waitin for the wax to dry on a small area
then that justifies your price
40 cents a foot ya really need to get to make any money up to 4000 ft or so then price accordingly over 4000 ft
use good wax and always do an outstanding job
something i found out this week exatimate 71 cents a ft for strip and wax that will make ya smile slingin some wax
when ya hear of these guys doin it for 20 cents they have lots of equipment and can do alot of work in a nite
and yeas there are people doin this for cheap just like carpet cleaning prices are all over the place
build a reputation and your customers will follow
know your costs and what ya need to be happy happy happy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom