What do you see ?

Is each side of this seam the exact same color ?

• Total voters
Name
I'm Rick James
What the hell is all over the carpet? Looks like a dog rubbed its ass all over. Did I win, do I get a prize, whats next.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
The Chihuahua preferred the left side to the right side, but I don't know why. Eventually the whole carpet will be coated evenly and the question will be moot.

R

rotovacguy

harryhides said:
There is nothing fishy here no great mystery to solve, just an interesting phenomena.

I don't know...is there some sort of "image" we should see? Maybe a few more pics will bring out the obvious.

The only thing I see in there is a 25' Stanley tape measure that looks just like the one that went missing from my toolbox the other day! :p

harryhides

Name
Tony
OK, here is the reverse view ( facing the windows - primary light source ) of this same carpet with the seam still covered by a tape measure.
In this pic the shade change is more obvious, well at least in the foreground.
Later on I will post pictures of both veiwpoints without the tape covering the seam which hopefully will make the point of all this, more clear.

SMReverseV1_IMG.jpg

The first picture is shown again here:

Sidematch17_IMG.jpg

Interesting how evenly the votes came in on the original question. As carpet/upholstery cleaners and inspectors we need to look very carefully and be very observant before we start cleaning anything.

Scott

Looks like they used Seams 'R Us to install the carpet. Right smack dab in the middle of the traffic lane - oopsie.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Oh.... thank you for claifying that your tape is indeed on top of the seam.. I bet he didn't match the pattern and that can really show on a piece like this. May be the greatest seam mechanically speaking but an un matched pattern even if it runs only on one side for five feet will still out like a sore thumb.... unless you so cleverly cover up the seam. Or I've over anaylizing again and the seam is peaking from the stretch across and we can't see that until the tape is moved and that would give your shade issue if there is one. There hopefully I've covered most scenarios if the seam was put together well.

harryhides

Name
Tony
David, has hit on plenty of good points and clearly has the advantage of installation experience - no seam peaking here.
Agreed that it is a bad place for a seam.

More later.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Fon Johnson said:
harryhides said:
[quote="Fon Johnson":1xsl7e8s]I don't see any problem, other than it is installed backwards..

Nope, that was checked and nap is running the same way on each side.

But does the pattern run with the nap?[/quote:1xsl7e8s]

The pattern such as it is, repeats every 8 inches and yes it runs the same on each side but you are onto one factor is this situation, imo.
Although at first glance it appears to be a "random" pattern, I don't think that the installer took care to line up the pattern on each side.
There are just as many sloppy installers as there are sloppy cleaners as I'm sure Marc will agree. :)

Fon Johnson

So, is the pattern creating the illusion of color difference? (Please don't tell me it is a lighting issue... LOL)

Hey, Imbesi. Who is that in your avatar, and why are my sunglasses on his head?!

harryhides

Name
Tony
Nope John see below.

Here is the first picture without the tape covering the seam:

Sidematch16_IMG.jpg

Here is the original picture posted a couple of days ago.

Sidematch17_IMG.jpg

So now to get the prize ( a week at Curtis Penningtons double wide ) you need to explain to us all why the tape covering the seam makes such a huge difference in the appearnce of the exact same two pieces of carpet both from the same roll ?

The seam was very well made - no gap and each side butted up nice and close but not overlapped.
Plus with a low light I could see no evidence of seam peaking.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Good eyes Fon, that was from the shadow formed by the front door but then how do you explain this picture of the same carpet in the basement. Same carpet but different lighting?

SidematchBasement1_IMG.jpg

harryhides

Name
Tony
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
I can see the color variation as john mentions. It almost looks like its more flat, from melting ?

They had the kool glide set too hot ?

Or is there roll crush ?

I have the only Kool Glide in this town.
No roll crush or melting either.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Same roll, often side-match is caused by "color drift" ie
Slightly more dye on one edge than the other ( blocked jet ? ) and when the "lighter" side is seamed to the "darker" side you can see the slight differences.

What is a puzzle is why does the measuring tape appear to make such a huge difference ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom