what etches porcelain?

Mikey P

Administrator
Never seen this before..

20150127_143249.jpg

No, it was not the well formulated Cobbs stuff we were using..

Name
cameron demille
This was my post in the other thread.

That's not a rosin paper stain, that's rust. Rosin paper is a darker/reddish brown, this is orange. What most likely happened was the paper was put down before everything was cured, or there was some moisture present somewhere. The rosin paper could have slowed down evaporation and caused it to sit. There are ferrous minerals in this type of marble and they can start to oxidize with moisture, in turn leaving rust stains like this.

If it is from the surface and are just superficial, they can be removed. If it is from within the stone itself, the pieces will need to be replaced.

Buy a gallon of Klenztone #3 from Regent Stone Products. DO NOT DILUTE. Pour a small amount on the surface and let it sit for 10 seconds, then scrub with a soft brush. If the stains are from the top, they will disappear. If anything can get rid of the rust stains, Klenztone can. Do not buy #1, #2 or #4. Buy #3 and DO NOT DILUTE IT. If you dilute it, it turns into hydroflouric acid.

Klenztone #3 will etch granite, glass, metal, porcelain, glazed ceramic and just about everything else EXCEPT marble, limestone and travertine. If you use it straight from the bottle, it won't hurt the marble.

https://www.regentstoneproducts.com/item_detail2.aspx?ItemCode=KLENZTONE

Also, if the staining is nowhere else other than around the toiled area, have the toilet removed and the wax ring inspected or replaced.

Klenztone is Ammonium Biflouride, not an acid, but it is a derivitive of hydroflouric acid. ABF is also used in rust removers, carpet cleaners. etc. The one carpet cleaner I know has ABF is "Amazing" carpet rust remover.

Hydrochloric acid shouldn't hurt porcelain

F

FB7777

A high gloss acrylic floor finish can mask it temporarily , but over time will wear off

I etched glazed ceramic a few years back attempting to get out some rust spots from under a plant. Fortunately it was in the corner of the foyer and not very noticeable

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Man that's weird...this could be a shot in the dark but try some Stone Pro Etch Remover with a white nylon pad under a hand orbital sander? Maybe

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
You can polish porcelain with powders. Not a simple fix however. I have polished several porcelain floors with good results

Reactions: Mikey P
Back
Top Bottom