What ever happened to the results from the carpet protector challenge at The Experience?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Coming soon. I'm making sure all parties involved are fairly treated and represented in what's shared.

No clear winner indeed. But everyone has something to be proud of, in my opinion.

Reactions: J Scott W

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Oh, lets just add one more chemical to an already chemically loaded home environment.
Why is it that Lumber liquidators' name comes to mind?

Sorry, just proceed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donwand

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I was kind of afraid of that....where there is no winner...

First, I think we'll start a new thread about this, but as a "teaser"

Just as there is no truck mount right for everyone, or prespray right for everyone, these tests show that there are trade offs depending on what you want.

Without giving anything away (yet), you can ask yourself:

How important is dry soil resistance versus spill resistance?

How important is it for the product to bead up?

How important is acid dye resistance?

How important is it to be water based versus solvent based?

There is no one product that does all of that equally. I would be comfortable applying any of them with the understanding of the strengths of each.

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
How important is. Not staining and cleaning up easier when I clean next time. all the rest is fluff.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have always hated that the client wants to see it bead up. However the products that do that, don't have the acid dye blockers. So you sell acid dye blockers (best insurance against stains) but get questions and complaints that it doesn't bead up. :dejection:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
In the first portion of the presentation, I covered the various expectations of a good protector as well as the different types of products sold as protectors.

Compiled from various sources and surveys

What do carpet cleaners think is most important function of a carpet protector?
Dry soil resistance. they understand that dry soils abrades carpet fibers, damages the appearance and thus shortens the useful life of the carpet.

What do potential purchasers of protector think about when protectors are offered?

Children spilling colored beverages such as Kool Aid and will the protector prevent that from staining. Secondly animal urine.

What did carpet owners report as their major concerns about carpet?
#1 Traffic lanes #2 Tracked in soil #3 Stains How do protectors effect each of these issues?

What do carpet cleaners say is most helpful marketing tool when selling protector?

Demonstration of beading

All of these factors might influence what protector you choose for a given situation. Also might be considering cost, coverage, health and safety issues, the type of fiber or fabric the protector is being applied to. In one case, we saw that what worked well on upholstery was not suitable for carpet.

Reactions: jcooper

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I want to know how it works on old carpet that has some residual soil, like a real carpet would be after a normal cleaning. Not brand new samples.

IMHO it's not very effective on older carpet.

What say the experts?

Take care,
Lisa

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I want to know how it works on old carpet that has some residual soil, like a real carpet would be after a normal cleaning. Not brand new samples.

IMHO it's not very effective on older carpet.

What say the experts?

Take care,
Lisa

That wasn't tested Lisa, because the variables in soil and wear are too difficult to duplicate when you are trying to compare three types of products. I will tell you from other tests I've done that residual detergent is worse than residual soil and wear, but all three are a factor.

This is where each person has to test the product that they settle upon in more "real world" environments. I have a few rental properties with the typical people who rent such places.

These are ideal testing places for me.

Bottom line: The older and more beat the carpet (and more residue of "stuff" in it) the less effective protectors are, which of course is what Lisa just said.

These tests done for comparison sake will not be helpful for that testing criteria though.

Reactions: dgardner

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Let me add this:

Dave Gill protected upholstery fabric with two solvent based protectors, Cobb's Ultraseal and Bridgepoint Maxim Fine Fabric. He then subjected them to a variety of food type spills at a level that could only be called vandalism if it weren't for scientific purposes. These included, but were not limited to: Ketchup, mustard, and barbecue sauce. I don't know what the others were, I could only go by the smell.

Six weeks later we tested the fabrics at MFE.

The participants/observers should chime in here, but the bottom line is that the protected sides of the fabrics cleaned nearly like new (a little mustard stain remained). Those that didn't get treated had residual pigment and oil stains that didn't come out with repeated applications of an alkaline upholstery preconditioner and heated acidic rinse detergent.

The final appearance was, to use the cliche, "night and day".

I wasn't able to detect a clear difference between the two in the environment with which we worked, but I would say both worked beyond my expectations.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Let me add this:

Dave Gill protected upholstery fabric with two solvent based protectors, Cobb's Ultraseal and Bridgepoint Maxim Fine Fabric. He then subjected them to a variety of food type spills at a level that could only be called vandalism if it weren't for scientific purposes. These included, but were not limited to: Ketchup, mustard, and barbecue sauce. I don't know what the others were, I could only go by the smell.

Six weeks later we tested the fabrics at MFE.

The participants/observers should chime in here, but the bottom line is that the protected sides of the fabrics cleaned nearly like new (a little mustard stain remained). Those that didn't get treated had residual pigment and oil stains that didn't come out with repeated applications of an alkaline upholstery preconditioner and heated acidic rinse detergent.

The final appearance was, to use the cliche, "night and day".

I wasn't able to detect a clear difference between the two in the environment with which we worked, but I would say both worked beyond my expectations.

So in other words, protector for upholstery does have some benefit, as I thought it would, whereas protector for carpet in the real world is only beneficial as a profit maker for the cleaner and the protector industry (just as I suspected).

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ofer wants to know if 55's of solvent base protector can be shipped to San Bansisco? ;)
Yea.
I forgot. Which one of the manufacturers proudly uses this solvent carrier?

th?id=JN.TP2an6a%2bgWDf3ewJnuHjgA&pid=15.1&P=0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey and EDS

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
So in other words, protector for upholstery does have some benefit, as I thought it would, whereas protector for carpet in the real world is only beneficial as a profit maker for the cleaner and the protector industry (just as I suspected).

Not at all Art. I was giving a fair answer to Lisa based on my experience regarding very old and abused carpet. Protector works to some extent on everything, but its best results can be seen on well maintained carpet that's lifetime can be measured in a few years, not decades.

I don't want to get ahead of the test results, but since my comment seemed to lead you to think that this was my conclusion, I had to reply.

If you aren't interested in applying protector, I'm good with that. I don't feel any personal need to convert people to change any business model that they have. If you are curious, there are tests you can do that will help you make sense of it.

In my own case, I protect the carpets at my home, for my friends, and my rental properties. I do it as a favor for friends (no charge work is all I do, lol), and to protect my investment in the carpet in my home and the homes I own that I rent out.

I wouldn't go to the time and expense if it wasn't worth it.

That's my point of view, and is not related to what will be shared on the protector results, which will start with another post this weekend or early next week.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
For those that want to test for themselves, I have swatches of white unprotected nylon carpet. They have been protected with equal amounts of Scotchgard or Maxim Advanced protector. Also some unprotected swatches that you can use as a control sample or to treat with your personal favorite protector. I will also include some ideas on how to do the testing.

If you want a packet of carpet swatches, send an email request to stores.csr@bridgewatercorp.net
No charge

Reactions: Old Coastie

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Protection for both carpet and fabric clearly works . . .

If the carpet or fabric is CLEAN and HAS NO RESIDUE . . .

If you do a proper rinse on your TM cleaning process . . .

then you will get very effective protection for your customers .

Many customers absolutely need protection against spills.

Reactions: J Scott W

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
It shouldn't be this controversial as to the effectiveness of carpet protectors. I was at the meeting at my contractors office that I subbed for in 1976 when the 3M salesman first introduced Scotchgard Protector. He wore a plaid suit with bell bottoms (that must of been the company colors) and he looked splendiferous (as we all did in the 70s LOL). Anyhow, the product was applied to the commercial carpet in the office and it seemed to work for a few weeks until it was tracted off. I've been applying SG for the last 39 years as customers have requested it to carpet and have never seen its usefulness.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

Thank's for the useful info, Jim.:rockon:

If it(solvent protectors) can help prevent water/stain rings on micro fiber or similar type upholstery, I'm sold! I sell VERY little protector, I might actually think about possibly offering/selling it if I think it will help them(clients).

What type of fabrics were the tests done on? Please say micro fiber!:biggrin:

Other than one has solvents and one uses water what's the difference in how they work? Solvents just evaporate faster?

If protecting upholstery with solvent protector should it be dry?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom