What intervals are you changing your fluids?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm every 50-75 hrs with 5w30synthetic on my liquid cooled engine

Blower oil? I forget. Whatever my manual tells me to use

Water pump is 15w40 oil every 500hrs with blower

Reactions: Living The Dream

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm every 50-75 hrs with 5w30synthetic on my liquid cooled engine

Blower oil? I forget. Whatever my manual tells me to use

Water pump is 15w40 oil every 500hrs with blower
There was a friendly debate on Facebook, just recently on the water pump oil. I was arguing with myself on my water pump's oil, because a few other guys said to use 30wND (ISO100) oil in the water pump , yet my manual says to use 15w40. I looked it up in General Pump's manual and it says that 15w40 is compatible with ISO100. How can that be? Is 15w40 a non detergent oil??? And isn't detergent bad for our water pumps?

Reactions: Nomad74

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Do you think that's the reason kohler engines start leaking oil so soon?

I can't speak for that, other than that, it's about the Zinc.

Potentially very-high-temp air cooled engines require an oil with anti-wear components that add additional protection at higher temps.

Zinc provides high heat protection that surpasses even the anti-wear properties of the best synthetic base stocks by forming a glass-like film at higher temps.

Without this added layer of protection from Zinc, even full synthetics can burn at higher heats.

How hot does your car/van engine get compared to what your slide-in engine can get?

Years ago, most quality AUTOMOTIVE oils had adequate Zinc levels, so you could get away with using them in hotter air-cooled engines, and is the reason old-timers will state they used XXX brand for years without problems, which was true.

The Gubberment now regulates Zinc content in auto-spec'd oils because it contributes to catalytic converter failure, which the auto industry does not want.

Adequate Zinc levels can now only be found in air-cooled specific oils, like small engine Mfr blends, bike oils, racing oils, and top shelf premiums and such, so it pays to seek them out and pay a little more.

Most any bike shops will stock some of the good sh!t.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Swani
I can't speak for that, other than that, it's about the Zinc.

Potentially very-high-temp air cooled engines require an oil with anti-wear components that add additional protection at higher temps.

Zinc provides high heat protection that surpasses even the anti-wear properties of the best synthetic base stocks by forming a glass-like film at higher temps.

Without this added layer of protection from Zinc, even full synthetics can burn at higher heats.

How hot does your car/van engine get compared to what your slide-in engine can get?

Years ago, most quality AUTOMOTIVE oils had adequate Zinc levels, so you could get away with using them in hotter air-cooled engines, and is the reason old-timers will state they used XXX brand for years without problems, which was true.

The Gubberment now regulates Zinc content in auto-spec'd oils because it contributes to catalytic converter failure, which the auto industry does not want.

Adequate Zinc levels can now only be found in air-cooled specific oils, like small engine Mfr blends, bike oils, racing oils, and top shelf premiums and such, so it pays to seek them out and pay a little more.

Most any bike shops will stock some of the good sh!t.
So what is your go to oil?

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Blower and water pump=500 hours, Engine =100 hours. I could probably get away with going much longer on the blower oil, but it's cheap insurance.

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
Every month on the kubota, every 200 on the pump, every 1k on the blower, monthly bimba shaft anti seize, a quick squirt of wd daily.

Reactions: Mikey P

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
So what is your go to oil?

I don't really have a brand preference, but my criteria is it being a FULL synthetic specifically spec'd for racing/bike/air-cooled applications that references an additional anti-wear package on the label.

Believe it or not, I think I have something from Valvoline in my pressure washer right now.

Valvoline's premium juices are usually the easiest ones to find at Autobone and P'boys.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
He uses a portable... Aside from which outlet to use, I'd take it with a grain of salt....:stir:

Fooker.......

Ok...that was kind of funny.

But seriously, I'm more than just a porty God and I'm more than just a Master Pizzaiolo for almost 20 years.

Despite spending most of my life in NYC, I spent almost five years in Pennsylvania with 15 acres of land to manage, so I know my way around a gas engine.

Restored 4 different year Gravely walk behind front-PTO tractors and attachments, if anyone knows what they are, and a bunch of other machines.

Rednecks sure know their way around small engines.

You can learn a lot from them, and most are more than wiling to help out providing your willing to donate a 12 pack of Yuengling and a fat sack of shwag to the endeavor.

Many-a-long night in the garage.

Self-medication, Classic Rock, grease, oil, gas, power-tools, hand-tools, torches, widgets, dirty fingernails, bloody knuckles.....all till the Sun came up.........

Good fooking times.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Goomer is correct. Zinc additives have been reduced in automotive oils.

We use Kohler 20-50W in our engines, and it is a major brand racing oil with full zinc package.

Diesel oils also have the full zinc package.

As any engine accumulates hours, the oil should be a heavier weight.

Blowers should always use full synthetics. Initially this was Aeon "PD" type.

Now, blower manufacturers have changed to the thicker Aeon XD spec.

We buy in bulk & have it at a reasonable cost: $20.99/qt.

We recommend change at 1200 hours.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=5291

Back
Top Bottom