What is needed

Abigail

Name
Stacy
I'm VERY new at this business. I have a 360i and a portable DHX. I also have the tile/grout brush for the 360.
I will be doing residential work.

To do other surfaces, hardwood, natural stones, vcts, vinyl, whatever! What would I need? I see machines for hardwood floors, and others are a 175 with heads???
If I go this route, I will be taking a class on these surfaces, but I'd like to know what kind of equipment I'll need to acquire to do those jobs. AND is it worth it? I like to be someone my customers can get all their flooring cleaned by.

And yes, I know I need a truckmount! :). That's also in the works:).

I am just trying to determine if I want to limit myself to carpet and tile, or do other flooring.
FYI, I'm a lady (e40s) doing this as a second career (but sole income).

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Start checking craigslist for a used 175. If you have questions about one that you see, ask here. Read the threads here about natural stone. Look into restoring showers too.
If I only did carpet, I'd not make as much as I do. I also do repairs and stretching. That service lands me big jobs because people want to call just one person for the job. I've taken carpet cleaning jobs from other people because I can stretch the carpet and clean it too.
Troll through the posts and you will find a wealth of info here. I'll find you a couple to start.

Sent from my motorola flip phone using Crapatalk 1.1

Abigail

Name
Stacy
Countertop restoration sounds fantastic. And easy! The tool he used is listed at only about $150. That's not bad.
I was also looking at the hardwood floors because they are so popular. The machine costs are much higher. Although it looks like a 175 could be used on that as well.
Please confirm all the 175s will just use different pads for different flooring?
In this case buying a 175 and going through the extra steps for hardwood may be worth it for the ability to use it for stone floors.
Stone flooring is popular out here.

The hydroforce for hardwood looks to cost 1k. And 175s vary.

175s weigh a lot too don't they?

Do you have to have weight or does the combination of pads and chemicals do the work?

Last edited:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I started doing countertops with a $40 variable speed buffer from Harbor Freight.
My 175 is extremely heavy. I got it on craigslist for $180.
I'll let others chime in on the pads used for different applications.
You can check interlink's website and see how they clean hardwood floors. I've used their process quite a few times and have made some good money doing it. The problem is that most floors are too beat up for this process. If you do find someone that is willing to pay to have it done and their floors are in good shape, you can get $1 per sq ft and maybe even more.

Sent from my motorola flip phone using Crapatalk 1.1

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I am just trying to determine if I want to limit myself to carpet and tile, or do other flooring.

Stacy, I'd worry/focus on carpet and upholstery for now. Build carpet clients as close to home as possible. If you are wanting to buy tools, I'd start with a couple of air movers to help w/the porty.

When you get a tm or larger client list - then start thinking about tile. Wood floors are super easy to clean. Wait til you sell a big one, then get some tools.

Abigail

Name
Stacy
This is my plan. I will work the carpet and tile - since I have the 360i - I'll take 50% of net and put it into my 'equipment' fund. So when that fund is at about double the level I need to purchase the equipment, I'll do it. I also want to have a fund as replacement for what I have, just in case.
I have no credit cards, personal or business, and never plan to. (I'm a follower of Dave Ramsey).

Anyway, I was just wondering, from you pros, what the best course of action should be- I did assume diversification is best. And I felt that dealing with all types of flooring - and by the extension of the materials, the showers and countertops- would be a proper and beneficial diversification for me.

Eta- I have 2 air movers, but they are actually the blowers for bounce houses! I guess I could use them; they are horribly noisy though!

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Gonna need some grout brushes with the RotoVac fur tile : )

Just do it, plan this plan that and you'll plan yourself to death. Choose a direction and go do it.

Every move you make should a step towards completion of a job. Time is Money don't waste it. Never stop improving!

Reactions: bob vawter
Back
Top Bottom