What is the best way to clean Fringes?

RugWorx

Name
Joe Couch
We are just getting into rug cleaning (and have a long way to go on the training) but for the couple of wool rugs we have cleaned so far we seem to not be able to get the cotton fringes as clean and bright as I would like. I know everybody has their own method but if someone could share their procedure on how to get the fringes clean and bright I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhyde

Name
rhyde
If the fringes are very dirty we treat them first. Wet the fringes out with a cleaning solution
and work them over with a spotter brush then wash the rug ,sometimes we use a pressure washer on fringe but not always.

Fringes are an area where more time spent on the front end can save much more you more post wash.

RugWorx

Name
Joe Couch
I will check it out, thanks. I think the fringe is what everybody notices first after a rug is cleaned and no matter how nice the rest of the rug looks if the fringe still looks dirty it negates the rest of the cleaning.

Nathan544

Name
Nathan Koets
I agree with RH; a little TLC up front goes a long way. Instead of O2 bleaches or reducers, we prefer just a real quick pretreatment with ChemMax's Cotton Rug Shampoo, then wash as normal.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You have to be careful with bleaching, some of the fringes are not supposed to be white. They are more beige, tan and light brown. I agree use a mild neutral cleaner avoid bleaching unless stained or bled on to.

Reactions: J Scott W

rhyde

Name
rhyde
You have to be careful with bleaching, some of the fringes are not supposed to be white. They are more beige, tan and light brown. I agree use a mild neutral cleaner avoid bleaching unless stained or bled on to.

Thats true. and sometimes its just dirty. paki and afghan rugs are often dirty when new making one question if it was the intended look or not?
Thank god the tea washed look has died out for the most part fringes particularly indo stuff is horrible to deal with the "tea" sit's on the surface
when washed to tips bloom open and look like crap.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I simply prespray them well with the rug cleaner, usually Natural Fibre Prespray or JudsonO2, use the Sebo to scrub the fringe. With the Sebo off the rug, I pull it back so the back brush scrubs the fringe, pulls it out nice and straight. Let it dwell then rinse. Usually come out perfectly clean.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Just like the rest of the rug, start with dry soil removal. That is often the cause of poor appearance.
As Richard pointed out, they are not meant to be all white, usually some version of off-white is normal.
When rugs are hung to dry, hang them at an angle and clamp a white cotton towel on the lowest corner for soil to wick / drip into.
Now the commercial - Use OxyBuff Cotton Shampoo (Bridgepoint) on those fringes. Mix with warm water, whip it into some foam, work in to the fringe with a horsehair brush and allow some dwell time. Extract.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
An extractor with a wand. You lay them flat, clean each individually if possible. At the end, we put a urine stain remover on them to brighten them back to white.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Shouldn't they be thankful for the free haircut?

Preaching to the choir!

So the fringe went from 1" to 1/32 big deal! Frankly, I would charge an extra 30.00 a foot ( 29.99 with senior discount from Val pac) for the "repair"
and using the various Jedi mind tricks being sloshed around the industry they would thank, ask , practically beg me to take their cash. :bullshit:

Gman48

Name
Glen
Remember to Pre inspect, inspect, inspect. Inform customer to the condition before you clean .. Some fringes are made of cotton and should be treated with some care. expect some wicking and or permanent staining . sometimes the glues used will come out into the fringe especially if its one of the older ones. after washing , get a blower on it and get it to dry in a dry area , best if it can be a warm room. And make notes on the invice and have the customer sign off before work to start.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom