What is the most dependable truckmount for an owner/operator?

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
At this point in my career I need dependability and reliability as far as a truckmount...Any suggestions...I have an el diablo with less than 600 hours with regular service intervals and still have had several problems...I hate working on them, and furthermore looking for ease of use/close to problem free...Are prochem, hydramaster, butler, SS, the way to go? I like heat for tile, but after having it for several years, it ain't the biggest deal...(especially oil burner issues)...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Russ nailed it. Good idea to see who is around you who sells these makes and can give you service as well. I've owned Hydramasters and used Cleanco's. Temps were about 190 degreesf, not the hottest but lot's of volume. You won't run out of heat, even with a large flow tool like the Zipper. Newer units have an extra heat option, brings you up to 235 f. Worth checking out.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Direct Drives can be less problematic but parts wear and no matter what the brand, direct drive or slide in you are going to have some maintenance and repair.

Look at proven track records. Talk to other cleaners.

I ran the El Diablo in Atlanta and it flat out cooked with heat and had great vacuum. However like any machine it can have problems. Are your problems component or design issues?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Just as with cars, a truckmount with the highest performance is not likely to be the most dependable. That high performance puts more stress on every aspect of the equipment.

If I was looking for dependable, I would look first at Butler. I think it stands alone in dependablility and ease of service when that is required. The one drawback is lack of a national distributor network to support service.

Next would be any of the natioanlly supported direct drives such as the Hydramaster CDS.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I've gone direct drive and don't think I will ever go back. When people say they are more expensive to run and more wear and tear on your expensive van they are absolutely right. The efficiency, performance, and reliability more than make up for it, in my opinion.

The bad thing is, when they do go down, they can go down big. Like forget about finishing the job because you need to call for a tow. Over-maintain your van and you can hedge against that.

In my situation it's nice that I can have my trusted GM dealer that is 5 minutes away do most of the maintenance, versus my truckmount supplier that is 3 hours away.

Reactions: Art Kelley

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Trusted GM dealer.

That's funny

Sorry if you don't have one. I like to think about it like this:
Would a warranty engine be a major expense for your manufacturer, or would it be a drop in an immense bucket? There are some advantages that come with working with massive companies.

Just curious, did you buy your new GM van from a dealer or go through Cleanco/TCS?

The first step in establishing a beneficial relationship is doing business with those you should be doing business with.

Mrice

Name
Mat
Following. Is it that hard to build an extremely reliable slide-in?

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Cleanworks nailed by saying Russ nailed it, you're looking for a PTO machine. Just sayin cause you don't like working on or fussing with a slide-in and that's ok; really ok. But give some serious thought to the purchase AND service. Butler?, well maybe so let's get back to that one.

The most pragmatic choice would be the Hydramaster and Cleanco (hopefully you have a local and strong distributor for either )mentioned above and not necessarily in that order. It's just fair to mention that Cleanco being the pioneer PTO, is still ranked nationally and up in Canada (duh) right up at the top with reliability (with Hydra & Butler) is just fair to mention. But the most pragmatic element is where are you gonna spend yer money and just who is going to support you when sh.. hits the fan and/or the machine ages? You don't like tinkering with slide-ins so a PTO is knocking at your checkbook.

Butler?, well I used to think ya that's a cool well built machine. Arrives via a train or truck/transport system and you drive it away, cool. Then it breaks or has quirks, hum. I'm supposed to take it to any qualified mechanic for warranty and general maintenance? Or better yet to my local distributor who has absolutely no incentive to put their heart into the repairs/maintenance? hum

Donwand

Supportive Member
Name
Brian
Go with a Butler. Very easy to maintain, mostly quick connects, everything is color coded and numbered and the best costomer service. Not to mention a 10 year warrantee.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Most PTO's do not have many problems the first 5 years anyhow. Unless you drive them very very hard.
It is usually after the 5 years that the problems start.
Which is why people sell them :winky:

Robert Webb

Name
Robert Webb
The reason I sell every 5 years is because I lease it and the 5 year mark is the sweet spot for making money. I have put over 10k in my pocket every time I sell one at 5 years, which is after the lease is paid off of course. Thats why Butler is now advertising a new butler every 3 years, because they know they will easily make money on the vehicle. Of course they are taking the money out of your pocket. BTW every one of them have sold in less then 5 days.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
My 405 have been realiable, I had issues at first with my 570 but it now has 1400 hours and hasn't had a problem in over a year!

If I were to get another unit I'm leaning towards a 650 hp same heat as a el Diablo, has a 10 year track record water cooled engine. E idle for fuel savings. If the Van takes a crap You can move it to a new van in a couple days be back up and running. What's Butler have a 6 week wait right now??? The newer vans like @Mikey P said get great gas mileage. All that gas savings will help with a little higher payment.

Besides everyone knows direct drives are known for ease of use for emplyees, one guy got a direct drive here and has had his coupler break 3 times.

If I were to get a DD it would be a Butler because SAIGER's video's alone would help fix any problem I might have.

Saiger what's you avg. MPG in those baby's. I get 11.8 with a 570 in a 6 liter engine and 12.4 with a 405 in a 4.7 liter engine both Chevy 2500.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom