What is the most dependable truckmount for an owner/operator?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I think the regulator in the alternator is not regulating enough, so the battery overcharges, and when voltage hits 15VDC the van's computer refuses throttle input from outside sources (machine's throttle controller)

What year and make is your machine?
I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense. So if you're driving down the highway on cruise control, out of nowhere, your vehicle would lose power. Must be something in the computer system somewhere. Maybe even a loose wire or bad connection.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense. So if you're driving down the highway on cruise control, out of nowhere, your vehicle would lose power. Must be something in the computer system somewhere. Maybe even a loose wire or bad connection.

It's not that it would lose power, it just kicks off the aftermarket speed control and reverts to full GM computer, which sitting there in park is 500 rpm.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
What would happen if you wedged the gas pedal the way we used to when the vac advance failed?

Probably nothing good.

Especially since all it takes to crank them back up is turning off the van, restarting, and re-engaging the machine.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Actually I guess that would be the tm manufacturers, it's an add on unit that plugs into the obd port

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Probably nothing good.

Especially since all it takes to crank them back up is turning off the van, restarting, and re-engaging the machine.

Do you have a GPS unit in the van?

We actually will experience that every now and then with our Butlers and I have a GPS system in the vans that seem to knock it out down to idle.

Always seems to happen when on the 3rd floor of an apartment I swear....

Last year while cleaning a school, and down in a bit of a valley next to the school...it kicked out 3 times....we just move the van a bit more into the open and fixed.

has happened on all three of my last GM's with my Butlers....(2008, 2011, 2015)

Mikey P

Administrator
To the Op, I would consider a Cobbs unit if reliability is number one on your list

If they weren't so damn wide I would have gotten one

Last edited:

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek

No GPS here. @hogjowl has this happened with your Cleanco? Interesting to hear that it happens across Butler, SS, and Hydramaster.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The most important factor in me switching from butler to the hydramaster cds was local support. Every time I needed something from butler no matter how small the part it cost at least $85 to ship, plus it took at least 4 days. My business is growing and I wanted parts supply to be on the west coast, and tech support available after 1pm my time.

I definitely notice how much less volume of air my cds flows on an open hose, but lift capability is higher. I am getting the same dry times, or slightly better.

Support has been really great, but both my machines have had a lot more trouble than I expected out of brand new machines. The transfer pumps in both hydracradles failed, both machines randomly lose speed control and idle down to 500 rpm, and one of the pump outs has already worn out an impeller( that was my fault).
This is not the first time, we are of hearing about transfer pumps failing. Do your pumps recirculate or is there a pressure switch?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Too the Op, I would consider a Cobbs unit if reliability is number one on your list

If they weren't so damn wide I would have gotten one
I think I'm the OP, whatever that means...but I'm sure cobbs is a good unit. But if the dealer is more than 2-3 hours away, it's not for me

My original concern was reliability. And when something goes wrong...I'll need a dealer i can depend on to work on it. I can't depend on someone that far away, even if it's a well made machine

Name
Scott Turknett
Th
Is the pump actually burning out, or the switch? I have used many types of shur-flo or flo-jet pumps and most can even run dry for extended times. It should be almost like a rv

As they are under warranty I have been sending them back whole to be tested. I haven't heard back what happened to them

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Sir James

Name
Jim Cross
I have a new Butler. About two months old. I like it a lot. But no less than two times in the middle of a job it has idled down to 500 rpm for no apparent reason. Of course, I have no idea why. My thinking was that I had not pushed the parking brake down enough. But that was just a guess. I do have Onstar for a few more months. Never use it.

Last edited:

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
I have a new Butler. About two months old. I like it a lot. But no less than two times in the middle of a job it has idled down to 500 rpm for no apparent reason. Of course, I have no idea why. My thinking was that I had not pushed the parking brake down enough. But that was just a guess. I do have Onstar for a few more months. Never use it.
How much you pay a month for that butler and for how long? A lot of people on this board have butlers, no one talks about how much they pay...

Better question: Do you think having newer reliable machinery at a "monthly cost" (like forever) is better than having something "free and clear"?

Todd Millar

Name
Carpet Solutions
This has happened to me on my 2013 Butler, I just figured it was because GM can't build a van worth squat :biggrin:

hogjowl

Idiot™
So what's Butler telling you to do?

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
My Cleanco idles down to a crawl on really rare occasions. I turn it off and back on and it runs fine.

So that is confirmation on all 4 major manufacturer late model direct drives having this issue. Interesting.

Theories I've heard include bad grounds, some other electrical, gps, and finicky waste tank float.

Seeing it's across all manufacturers I'm guessing it's some glitch with the GM interface.

If anyone figures it out, please let me know.

Sir James

Name
Jim Cross
Some
How much you pay a month for that butler and for how long? A lot of people on this board have butlers, no one talks about how much they pay...

Better question: Do you think having newer reliable machinery at a "monthly cost" (like forever) is better than having something "free and clear"?
a bit over $1200 a month. Nothing down(by choice). 2015 Chevy loaded. Max blower and heat. 110 gal wasteFresh tanks, pump out, shelves, seal-a-door,titanium wand. Etc. oh yeah it's a 5 year complete buy.

For me having newer is better compared to my 17 year old electric unit which was labor intensive. I believe having new will increase my business if only because I'm motivated

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom