What kind of job are these guys doing?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Its funny this post came up now. About a year ago we opened up a new market/location. We have done well with rentals/real estate but not residential. we have a TON of cheapo wet-n-jets in the area. we land 1 out of 3 on the phones. the other 2 hear prices and say omg that's too high and hang up?! ok I know they weren't worth having and all that, but you cant pay bills with high standards. So, whats the answer. Do you get down in the gutter with them and at least get a piece of the pie. DO you hold out and know that SOME DAY you will get the quality customers??? Not gonna lie I struggle with this every day. WE have $99 minimum, we get calls everday for 1 room. We tell them $99 and they hang up!? What can you do?????
The problem is the first thing out of their mouth is, "how much is it" This implies that they think that all carpet cleaners are the same and if you are charging more, then you must be ripping them off. You have to change their mind set. When they ask how much it is it is now your turn to speak. You need to ask them some questions, such as, "what kind of carpet is it", "what color is it" "when was it last cleaned", "are there any pet stains or any other concerns", Let them know that you are a professional with serious skills that other carpet cleaners may not have. You will always have price shoppers and they will never be your best customers. They will go with the next lowest price they can get next time. Focus on the market you want to be in. My minimum charge is $120 and that is for a one room job. The customer has to understand what it costs to send a man and a truck with expensive equipment and chemicals and training and insurance, etc. to do a job. If you don't explain it to them, they will never know.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The problem is the first thing out of their mouth is, "how much is it" This implies that they think that all carpet cleaners are the same and if you are charging more, then you must be ripping them off. You have to change their mind set. When they ask how much it is it is now your turn to speak. You need to ask them some questions, such as, "what kind of carpet is it", "what color is it" "when was it last cleaned", "are there any pet stains or any other concerns", Let them know that you are a professional with serious skills that other carpet cleaners may not have. You will always have price shoppers and they will never be your best customers. They will go with the next lowest price they can get next time. Focus on the market you want to be in. My minimum charge is $120 and that is for a one room job. The customer has to understand what it costs to send a man and a truck with expensive equipment and chemicals and training and insurance, etc. to do a job. If you don't explain it to them, they will never know.
I agree and disagree.

There are distinct market levels and you can't up sell a customer from their price comfort. Explain why you charge what you do helps when a person is unsure of using you.

But you can talk till you're blue in the face if the potential customer uses budget cleaners and you are a premium cleaner.

F

FB7777

Where the hell is Island Bore when you need him?

He would have inserted 6 or 7 links to answer these " How to solve the why are you so expensive?" Questions

Reactions: hogjowl

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I get doing empty apartments cheap...don't necessarily have to be there at a particular time of day so can be worked into a schedule.
I get doing a LOT of square footage at a lower price...One set up and just keep the wand moving.

But- Residential is a different business IMO. I have a high minimum because it filters out some people, I don't charge by the room, higher square footage price for same reason...I don't want everyone. I have noticed that 95% of the many Carpet Cleaning Companies are all focused on the same Customers. About 5% are focused on the high end customer...less competition there and much easier jobs and for more money. It's where I am most comfortable...very nice people for the most part.

When I had my business in Florida I didn't do any work in the area where I live...very little...I drove 30 minutes from home- to Naples and/or Sanibel, because that's where the people lived who could afford me. The House Cleaning Companies who had the keys to all the seasonal houses were my marketing focus to start. Once you are in, to stay there, smile, be friendly, complement their dog, do good work, don't have a dented van, keep a clean professional presence and thank them.
I let them know that my very friendly Ann will be checking on them in 3 months. Most seasonal homes in Naples were cleaned twice a year. Fresher up before the Owners came to town and cleaned after they left. We had lots of quarterly residential work cleaning carpets that weren't dirty. Same price.

Usually within a 30 minute drive is a place where people that want quality work live...

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Bob it says you live on earth. Something not quite right about that. I'll be keeping an eye on you just so you know.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
I get doing empty apartments cheap...don't necessarily have to be there at a particular time of day so can be worked into a schedule.
I get doing a LOT of square footage at a lower price...One set up and just keep the wand moving.

But- Residential is a different business IMO. I have a high minimum because it filters out some people, I don't charge by the room, higher square footage price for same reason...I don't want everyone. I have noticed that 95% of the many Carpet Cleaning Companies are all focused on the same Customers. About 5% are focused on the high end customer...less competition there and much easier jobs and for more money. It's where I am most comfortable...very nice people for the most part.

When I had my business in Florida I didn't do any work in the area where I live...very little...I drove 30 minutes from home- to Naples and/or Sanibel, because that's where the people lived who could afford me. The House Cleaning Companies who had the keys to all the seasonal houses were my marketing focus to start. Once you are in, to stay there, smile, be friendly, complement their dog, do good work, don't have a dented van, keep a clean professional presence and thank them.
I let them know that my very friendly Ann will be checking on them in 3 months. Most seasonal homes in Naples were cleaned twice a year. Fresher up before the Owners came to town and cleaned after they left. We had lots of quarterly residential work cleaning carpets that weren't dirty. Same price.

Usually within a 30 minute drive is a place where people that want quality work live...

1000 % on spot
when it comes to target customer. ..
Apts, and residential.
Not in the same ball park.
Completely different product. , and need different marketing strategies.

Reactions: KevinL and Mikey P

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Some of these companies are getting tricky. Using 2 or 3 differrent names for one company and advertising $15 $25 and $50 prices per room. You can see it in their Yelp and FB reviews in what they are doing. Companies that I deemed legit competitors (ones that charged decently, did a full deep clean) are now going this way of $20 a room. I won't compete with that, but its pissing me off.

Focus on your customers and not your competitors and all will be fine right? :)

Reactions: Cleanworks

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
You run a multi-truck operation...feast or famine...When your out for your own, you are it!

I will say these first 2 weeks of January have been rough for me as well...However, the phone starting ringing again today...Ask Mark Saiger how he does it? He's great information! I never went to any trade show, be if he comes to Vegas, I'll go just to meet him...He's my idol!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom