what makes high ph alone cause rapid re-soil??--or does it?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I hear many say high ph causes rapid re-soil.

why is that?

is it really the ph, or some ingredient(s) in a high ph chem that actually causes rapid re-soil?

..L.T.A.

Name
Bruce
I have a high PH liquid prespray that is real thick and hard to rins out, not sure if it's because of the HIGH PH or the thickness of the prespray. But it is very hard to rinse out.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Re: what makes high ph alone cause rapid re-soil??--or does

meAt said:
I hear many say high ph causes rapid re-soil.

why is that?

is it really the ph, or some ingredient(s) in a high ph chem that actually causes rapid re-soil?

..L.T.A.

Because "they" confuse pH, with surfactant residue. Sure, really high pH can saponify fats, thus making for a minuscule surfactant residue. but that is so minimal as to be insignificant compared to the actual surfactants in the cleaning agent(s).

Some high pH components are more likely to cause stiffness, rather than soil attracting residue. it is the other components that are actually causing the stickiness.

Good rinse products deal with both residues, the alkali AND the sticky surfactants.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Because almost all of the early carpet cleaning products were high pH, knowing the pH after rinsing was a way to know if those products had been thoroughly rinsed out.

As Shawn explained, the real culprit in resoiling is surfactant residues. Surfactants can be high pH, low pH or anything in between. However, most presprays are alkaline. So pH may still indicate something about how thorough the rinsing was.

Scott Warrington

DevilDog

The ph is not really the issue, the issue is these harder than hell to rinse surfactants.

Ph can affect protectors, but I think they have little to do with rinsing or not rinsing well.

DevilDog

RichardnTn

And all this time I thought carpet soil had a negative charge and was attracted to a higher ph. Rinsing properly as stated is the more correct reason....I use Chemeister's Master Rinse or Action Extraction....Even if I use POWDER, I meter at 1-2....Very, very seldom ever have a problem.. RR

diamond brian

Speaking of surfactants, mixing an anionic surfactant with a cationic deodorizer will create a residue that is difficult to remove and will therefore result in rapid re-soiling.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I would say the major cause of rapid resoil in carpet just cleaned is a couple of primary things, and not necessarily a high pH chemical -

NOT addressing and neutralizing any existing residues you encounter when cleaning, and...

making sure you dry pass until you are not recovering any noticeable moisture back from your just cleaned carpet strokes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom