What sort of vacuum relief valve do you use?

What sort of vacuum relief valve do you use?

• Total voters
R

R W

I replaced my factory Genesis valve (spring loaded, on top of the waste tank), to a nicer spring loaded valve that is used on older Powermatics. I have it screwed into a PVC coupling, which raises it up out of the tank, away from the "guck" flow that makes it past the filter. It works well.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
I recommend Bayco's over the Kunkles because of the needing more maintenance.

If my service guy would get on board with them I'd have more customers with them.

He's too old school.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i dun need no stinkin relief, i have an old enough system it has leaks....so that would be my relief....

G

Mine has a football and a Mayonnaise jar lid with holes punched in it. Like Bob, sometimes I'll cover up the other holes with tape.

:?

Jay D

Name
Jay D
47 blower ma- chine free flow set at 15 hg, 33 blower ma- chine NO vac relief cuz hg don't go no higher then 13 anyhow. Works on my hackmounts. 8)

Greenie

To quote a very wise man...free flow is a good way to turn a 300cfm blower into a 200 cfm blower, a continued and constant leak is a leak.

Cover that leak, and give it a pop off point, and allow it to climb to that pop off point and reset, this resetting is called a cycle and keeps vacuum safe and optimized, no matter if it's an uph. tool or a 24" drag wand, or even a waterclaw.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
IMG_4024.jpg

Name
Shawn Forsythe
MicahR said:

I also like the Bayco's weight difference (much lighter), that offers more flexibility in mount locations.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Are'nt most kunkle/bayco type valves equipped with a pvc cap with holes in it to keep it from dropping completely to a completely open hole, thereby losing too much hg? Were is the difference? Bayco type vavles open at 15, and the cap keeps them from dropping below what 12 or so? I guess it burps the system as mine is set at 15 all the time. I guess if i wanted to try dual wanding all the time it would be more of a concern. 33,36,45 require less air loss to get a set hg. Different way of doing it. I do have a mechanical air adjustment on mine for less air loss if i want to adjust it. Never had a bayco as mine works fine the way it is. :roll:

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Jay DeLaughter said:
Are'nt most kunkle/bayco type valves equipped with a pvc cap with holes in it ....

Yes, and no. The valve manufacturer does equip them. The end unit TM parts supplier provides those, and to various specifications. The purpose is to slow the ingress of air, when the valve is activated at its set point. The slowing of the ingress permits the valve to recover to a set position before too much vacuum is lost by the large CFM capacity an open Bayco/Kunkle valve has. The net result is a dampening of the effect of cycling if the wand/carpet interface is not allowing enough airflow to maintain a vacuum level below the set point.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
stock spring relief that comes on Powermatics.

best I've ever seen.
(not all spring relief valves are created equal)

I know it's not trendy with the "in" crowd, but I don't think much of the Bayco valve.
You loose a couple HG every time it cycles.

Maybe the guys that like them had junk relief valves to start with

the "free flow" set up, for those that don't know, is nothing more than a permanent air leak.
Never tried one myself.
'bout the closest I've come to a "free flow" set up was when my waste tank gasket was shot....

..L.T.A.

JFRASER

Meat I agree, I think that powermatics have a great vacuum relief valve. I dont know about the others but this one works.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Kunkle cuz I got them wholesale. They are mounted on the SS tank lid making them even heavier to lift off. If I ever had to replace I'd probably go with Bayco for that reason. What maintence is required? I've never noticed any malfunction.

G

Shawn Forsythe said:
MicahR said:

I also like the Bayco's weight difference (much lighter), that offers more flexibility in mount locations.

Then you would really like the weight difference in the SOVC :lol:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We've tried a few Kunkle valves over the years and experienced some issues with cycling.

These can be solved with some careful tuning, but why is that required with a very expensive valve ?

We have chosen a high quality brass valve with a bearing for the sliding shaft.
relvalve.jpg

We have an assortment of SS springs to tune it for the vac relief settings we utilize (normally @17").

We feel that it is the most cost effective relief valve on the market...

I would rather use design dollars on less restrictive silencers for the blower...
or the new 4MR Sutorbilt blower.

Larry

When Judson first introduced the kunkle valve to the carpet cleaning industry in 1968, it was part of the industry's first patented gasoline powered carpet cleaner. This unit was also a PTO unit. The truckmount had a 4 foot wide wand. It was used to clean football fields. The main reason a kunkle was used in this application was the high volume of the #8 blower. What the kunkle did was allowed the blower to pump all 1200 CFM out of the recovery tank so the massive four foot wand could get as much CFM as possible.

5447766.jpg

astro-tm2PNG.jpg

Once we went into production in 1972 on slide-in truckmounts you will see a vacuum relief valve in the photo below. This valve can be purchased from Home Depot. It's actually part of a home well water system called a foot valve. We take this valve and increase the spring tension with a stiffer spring. We adjust this valve by adding or taking away washers to get it to relieve at 15 inches of mercury.

RRRRRR.jpg

Through the years we've done testing on conventional slide-in units with kunkle-type valves. We feel the use of a kunkle valve on a conventional slide-in unit is not noticable until you are using more than 300 feet of hose. As the hose length is increased the resistance of trying to pull the air is increased. The kunkle will allow the system to run at a few inches higher lift than normal. This in turn gives the vacuum more power to pull more CFM through longer hoses. One interesting thing we did with a kunkle-type valve on a TNT is that we ran 950 feet of hose with a 14 inch wand. All the hose was 2 inch. We were cleaning commercial low loop carpet. There was not a tremendous amount of vacuum left, but it was enough to get the job done with the use of a dry stroke.

Brian L

Name
Brian L
I chose a Kunkle because that was the only valve I had heard of at the time. Rick Freitas had just installed one on his WM and he told me where he purchased his (somewhere back east). This was before Greenie started selling them.

Back
Top Bottom