What to expect?

Discussion in 'Lets talk Business!' started by claybalz, Aug 21, 2017.

By claybalz on Aug 21, 2017 at 4:57 PM
  1. claybalz
    claybalz

Name:
    Clayton
    Hey guys! New to the business so thank you ahead of time for answering all my entry level questions! I plan to start out slow and test the water but if I get quick steady results would spend on marketing/advertising and the equipment to run the business! But for now I'm plan to start out with a portable and do it in my spare time. (3 days a week+evenings) so currently I'm having door hangers made and fixing to purchase a machine. My question is what to expect?
    •Is the return on investment as fast as one would think?
    •are most costumers loyal or mainly a one time cleaning?
    •what would you expect to make 3 days a week? 150 1000?
    •at what point should I establish an LLC?
    •is insurance a must right off the start? If so what's the average cost?
    I know it's important to protect yourself but when?
    •what is the most common type of community that purchase carpet service? Rich/middle class?

I have many more but that should get us started! Lol I really have done a lot of research on line.. google/forums but it is mostly contradicting so I figured I would just ask the guys that do it everyday.. thanks for your help!

Comments

Discussion in 'Lets talk Business!' started by claybalz, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Old Coastie
      Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
      Stephen
      By the way, when someone asks "How much is it?" try to avoid the temptation to retort "How much ya got?"
      claybalz and Radar Foster like this.
    2. Matt Wood
      Matt Wood

Name:
      matt wood
      When he mentioned that he has a truck, that told me that his budget is tight. That's why I mentioned it. Get back on Radar
    3. claybalz
      claybalz

Name:
      Clayton
      again thanks guys all something to think about! I don't know how you all did it before the forums! I may start with room to room just to get out there. That's what I put on my door hangers I have coming! But could Likely switch down the road knowing that! And thanks Hogg Jowl for not calling us all idiots this time! lol
      And yes budget is very small! I want to get out there as cheep as I can to professionally do the job for many reasons. Mainly because I need to learn! And i would like to build a debt free business and let it grow at its own speed. I currently have another income so I wouldn't really have to spend any of the profits the company made could put it right back in! At least that's the idea.. don't get me wrong if it needed quick growth I would barrow the cash and build the fire under it!
      Matt Wood likes this.
    4. Old Coastie
      Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
      Stephen
      You can run a Groupon, but only once and for a limited time. You don't want to train your customers to wait for a sale.
    5. sOOper hero
      sOOper hero

Number 5

Name:
      Larry Capitoni
      don't cheap out on chems
      Use the BEST pre-sprays and spotters money can buy

solicit apt managers .
      The overwhelming majority won't pay what it's worth, (you being brand new might think it's decent money though)
      but if you want to learn how to clean, experience is the best teacher
      you'll learn more in a year part time cleaning rat holes than you will in ten years cleaning residential only

you absolutely need a basic general liability ins policy...it's foolish not to
      You being pt time, it should be cheap..like $200 a year for $300K

custy retention/repeats and referrals are more about them liking/trusting you than anything.
      If they don't like/trust you, it doesn't matter how good you are

I'll leave the biz stuff to the business men...I stink as a bizman
      but do al'ite at all the other stuff

.L.T.A.
      Able 1, Mikey P and Matt Wood like this.
    6. Mikey P
      Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
      Mike Pay-oh-tay
      Larry is correct, if you sense that you have a potential long term on the line, spend extra time there being the best human you can be.
      sOOper hero and Mark Saiger like this.
    7. Bob Pruitt
      Bob Pruitt

Name:
      Robert Pruitt
      Welcome to the Board Clayton...I'm a start up too... sort of... lots of good advice already but here is my 2 cents.
      Before you buy a portable or anything else, decide what kind of work you want to do.
      The most profitable cleaning work here in Florida is tile cleaning so if you are going to use a portable and want to tap into tile cleaning you need a portable that is capable of producing high pressure. You will want a portable that has auto fill and auto dump or you will need a Helper and a Chiropractor.
      The more things you can do...well, the better when starting out.
      Whatever you do, while you are doing it, don't think about the money...think about how you can make that carpet cleaner than anyone else. Get a vacuum with an edge tool. Marty likes his Shark Lift Away. Then use it on every job.
    8. hogjowl
      hogjowl

@

Name:
      Marty Sutley
      And don't vacuum like a maid
      Mikey P likes this.
    9. Mikey P
      Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
      Mike Pay-oh-tay
      I vacuum about twice as fast as Werner, which is still a form of tardation and yesterday pulled this out of a two year old poly with four humans and a short hair dog, never been cleaned. IMG_20170822_121844.jpg

After pre spraying I then pulled this out with the CRB... IMG_20170823_152048.jpg

1200 feet or so, 100 or so gallons of water used.

Either they don't vacuum or it's broken.

My point?

Most carpet cleaners don't vacuum.

If you want to succeed don't be like most carpet cleaners.
      scottw and hogjowl like this.
      Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    10. TomKing
      TomKing

Supportive Member

Name:
      Tom
      Clay
      Come ride with us for 2 days before you spend any money or try to take the advice of 20 different people. I respect a lot of the guys on this board but everyone does it different. Being new and trying figure it out. You need to find one system you can begin to copy and then years from now as you develop you can begin to tweak things.

You should go apply for a a job in St Louis with Woodards my friend Tom Blandford would be a great guy to learn under. They have over 150 employees. I know they are always looking for good techs. If you spent 3-5 years in that company you would be way ahead when you moved back home.
    11. Ivan Turner
      Ivan Turner

Supportive Member

Name:
      Ivan Turner
      Chavez from the Plain state of Kansa was correct about one thing. The area in which you live in is one of the best areas for cleaning and disaster restoration. In fact, aside from the coastal areas, the Springfield area is the highest per capita for earnings in the Disaster recovery arena from what I have been told. Weather patterns always seem to hit the area hard. I spent the a full day there this past Friday doing research for adding a satellite office there.

I'm not in the carpet cleaning field, but if I were, I would focus a start up cleaning service in Ozark just to the south of Springfield. Best wishes and Be In It To Win It!
      Mikey P and Desk Jockey like this.
    12. Wayne Thompson
      Wayne Thompson

Name:
      Wayne Thompson
      Carpet Cleaning is work but worth it. It is not a fast easy way to make money. You can make it work. I would work for free for a couple of cleaners in the town over from you and see what it is really like.
    13. Acp
      Acp

Name:
      Bjorn Marshall
      grow $low

take your time do it right (SOS band)

make conversation with your clients, it gives them something to remember you by and greatly increases loyalty.

If you just do the job get paid and leave its not as personal and they are less likely to call you back. Try to relate to them, which can be hard in a 15 million $ home but there is always something.

avoid groupon like the plague, its tempting getting paid for selling 1,000 jobs @ 60 bucks or whatever it is (groupon takes half that)... but youll be doing cheap deals until you drop dead.

those customers dont give a **** about you, your business or anything... and they have no money to spend, thats why they are on groupon.

you want customers who wont blink an eye at a $700+ bill for 3-4hrs of work
      PrimaDonna and Matt Wood like this.
    14. claybalz
      claybalz

Name:
      Clayton
      IMG_0447.PNG IMG_0441.PNG IMG_0442.PNG IMG_0443.PNG IMG_0445.PNG IMG_0444.PNG Hey guys it's been a while sense I have posted but I still read the bored about everyday. I decided to wait a few weeks to get equipment due to having more free time with my current job. Well the time has come completely set on the mytee ltd5.. and then this pops up a truck mount and its cheep! 5000 dollars it is a boxer 421 all the hoses and rotovac head. Oh yea and it is in a van already! The guy was very nice said he has been in the business for 30 years just minor problems with a few leaking fitting no big deal.. he went through a divorce (could be the reason for not fixing) so just looking for a little guidance would you go with the new portable and know it works ready to go or take the chance? What can really be wrong with these things? How expensive can a repair get? I'm pretty handy with a wrench just know nothing about carpet extractors.

Attached Files:

15. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

Rico

Name:
      I am MIGHTY!
      I hate portables but this just could be a dog with fleas.

Worn out van, possible problematic TM. While it appears like a better deal, it's likely a money pit. I think you should pass. If nothing else pay a mechanic to check out the van and a distributor check out the TM.
      Old Coastie likes this.
    16. Acp
      Acp

Name:
      Bjorn Marshall
      Personally I would pass on that. 250k on a chevy that thing is about toast.

Boxer looks abused and rusted, could be a nightmare. Old model 360 only worth 250 bucks or so.

I say this because you can get a brand new TM from relia built, for under 10k... we paid about 8000 for our 2nd truck machine but we already had an extra little giant so opted for no heat exchanger. It's a workhorse and never ever breaks down or needs any repairs.

I'd rather save the 5k and get something in better condition. Trying to operate business with constant equipment or vehicle repairs is a pain
    17. claybalz
      claybalz

Name:
      Clayton
      Ok that's thw feeling I got as well.. ltd5 from steam brite it is!
      Mikey P likes this.