What would you do? Old WDR

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
A guy calls last week for a WDR estimate. Appliance store delivered a new washer and it malfunctioned and flooded from a top floor down through ceiling and on to hardwood.

Bad loss 5-6K but the homeowner didn't want it done until he was sure the installers (third party) insurance would pay. A week has gone by now and he calls wanting to start something.

We go take a look and its pretty much a gut and dry job. Homeowner is shocked that we can't save anything now. He wants to wait until the adjuster calls us.

Would you do it with so many parties involved? Cut it all?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
When it comes time to get in and start job, have john go down there document everything and get all paperwork signed letting the homeowner know that he is ultimately responsible for payment and If he signs off go to town, demo all that needs to come out and dry the rest down.

Unless you don't like money.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
We try NOT to work for free. However, our standard policy is to "Spike" the job. Couple of Dehu's and an air scrubber. "Free for the first 3 days if loss isn't covered" until adjuster shows and makes determination.
If no approval or contact from adjuster, we pull the equipment. Customer signs a discontinuation of service document and we only $30-$50 in fuel and a couple of hours setup and take down.
Small price to pay to potentially LOCKDOWN the job. Likewise we have gotten a ton of SELFPAYS as a result....

Last edited:

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Also, what you are describing is a covered loss under his homeowners insurance. Have him file a claim on his insurance and explain what happneed. They will cover it and then go after the appliance stores insurance to settle it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That might have helped some, but we would have probably still lost the hardwood and drywall.

As of Tuesday when he called a full week had past. We could have saved that hardwood had we got on it.

We dried a much larger hardwood floor last week, but we were on it the same day.

This guy should have filed a claim with his insurance company and then they would subrogate the installer insurance. He didn't want to, to him it was a matter of principal and he had just moved into a new home and didn't want to file a claim that he didn't cause.

Now someone is going to have to gut all affected areas including removal of the hardwood. My guess is nothing has still been done, he's waiting for the installers adjuster to come out and see the damage. :oldrolleyes:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I had a loss similar to this last year, the homeowner didn't want to file a claim under her insurance and wanted to check w/ the HVAC company, the HVAC company contacted their "water guy", than their insurance, yadda yadda yadda.

I told the client that I will not play that game, either she signed with me and paid for the mitigation herself or file the claim under her insurance and pay us the deductible. We did just the mitigation on that one, but she wanted me to follow w/ the other 5 different companies for the rebuild and I told them that was not in our scope.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
That might have helped some, but we would have probably still lost the hardwood and drywall.

As of Tuesday when he called a full week had past. We could have saved that hardwood had we got on it.

We dried a much larger hardwood floor last week, but we were on it the same day.

This guy should have filed a claim with his insurance company and then they would subrogate the installer insurance. He didn't want to, to him it was a matter of principal and he had just moved into a new home and didn't want to file a claim that he didn't cause.

Now someone is going to have to gut all affected areas including removal of the hardwood. My guess is nothing has still been done, he's waiting for the installers adjuster to come out and see the damage. :oldrolleyes:

We also do recon- so we actually make a ton more if the floors have to go. Either way, you still get the equipment rental once covered...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We only do mitigation, if its recon we're out.

We told him it was a demo job now and that's when he choked on the news. We would be glad to do the demo and dry down but we would need to setup critical barriers and run air scrubbers during and after the demo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom