What Would You Do?

Rug_Girl

Name
Alyssa Tillett
We are cleaning a cotton sofa that has what looks like mildew. What would you do to try and get this up?
IMG_2794.jpg

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Did it look like this when it was dry? Or did the black not show until cleaning was attempted?

If its truly mold, its not worth trying to fix; you would need an oxidizer so strong that it would permanently weaken the fabric.

If the dark marks just showed up during cleaning, that will be another matter.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Rug_Girl

Name
Alyssa Tillett
Did it look like this when it was dry? Or did the black not show until cleaning was attempted?

If its truly mold, its not worth trying to fix; you would need an oxidizer so strong that it would permanently weaken the fabric.

If the dark marks just showed up during cleaning, that will be another matter.

This is what it looks like dry. It's a sofa from 1980's and the customer says it's just dirt, but it doesn't look like dirt to me.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The area around the dark stains is darker with an even line above and below, which is what I thought someone began to clean it.

If you hadn't suggested mold, I would look at that and think its dye that bled up from a fabric that was underneath, as sometimes upholsterer's put new fabric over old.

If that's not the case, it could be mold. If it is, the damage hasn't a remedy that I think is worth trying.

Mold weakens natural fiber fabrics considerably, and its likely anything you attempt could cause the fabric to fall apart. Also, if that much mold is visible, the hyphae has spread throughout the fabric, and I don't believe it would be a good thing to leave something so contaminated in anyone's living space.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Rug_Girl

Name
Alyssa Tillett
The area around the dark stains is darker with an even line above and below, which is what I thought someone began to clean it.

If you hadn't suggested mold, I would look at that and think its dye that bled up from a fabric that was underneath, as sometimes upholsterer's put new fabric over old.

If that's not the case, it could be mold. If it is, the damage hasn't a remedy that I think is worth trying.

Mold weakens natural fiber fabrics considerably, and its likely anything you attempt could cause the fabric to fall apart. Also, if that much mold is visible, the hyphae has spread throughout the fabric, and I don't believe it would be a good thing to leave something so contaminated in anyone's living space.

Thanks for the input. This particular sofa was in storage for many years, that's what the customer told us. The customer wanted us to "Steam Clean" it, but we informed him that doing so would ruin the cotton fabric (especially since it was already pulling apart in some areas). I guess it could be a spill of some sort instead of mold but it looked like mold/mildew to me.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The cloudy appearance of the dark stains look the way something that wicks from the inside (like migrated dye) would appear, or mold itself.

The darker area, however that happened, is the only place the black marks appear, so perhaps there was an event that allowed that area to become wet, and thus the mold.

In any event, you've made a wise decision.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Mist peroxide rinsei would hit it with a little citrus and rinse with natural fiber cleaner,

Maybe upholstery pre spray first with a splash of peroxide!

And steam it!

This fabric looks like a cotton and probably sat against a lower wall and the soiled area were exposed!

I would also open my vac relief in the tool and keep a eye on the fabric!

But they ususally clean up good!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Mist peroxide rinsei would hit it with a little citrus and rinse with natural fiber cleaner,

Maybe upholstery pre spray first with a splash of peroxide!

And steam it!

This fabric looks like a cotton and probably sat against a lower wall and the soiled area were exposed!

I would also open my vac relief in the tool and keep a eye on the fabric!

But they ususally clean up good!
And open your wallet because you might be buying that piece.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Some of you are pretty brave. Personally, I wouldn't touch that piece with a 10 foot pole and I certainly would not want any of my Techs to attempt it. There is so much contrast between the like-new and the damaged fabric that I don't think any result would be acceptable. Especially since it is cotton.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Brian H

Name
Brian H
It almost looks like it was in a garage or somewhere with only the top exposed and those are exhaust fumes on it. You would think that if it was mold that the delineation line would not be as crisp looking as it is.

I would try cleaning it only after the customer signed off saying that the we are not responsible for ANY damage or discoloration that occurs as a result of our attempt to restore the fabric. If it doesn't look like our cleaning efforts are not going to make enough of an improvement, or if it's falling apart, we can just say we gave it our best effort and then walk... no charge.

As I have told our crews many times over the years when presented with heavily soiled/stained furniture, the customer won't take our word for the fact that it is not cleanable and they WILL call someone else. Several times customers have called someone else and embarrassed us because the other company tried it and it came out clean!! Better to at least give it a try... after having them sign off of course.

On closer examination, it looks like the exposed part is already rotting. If that is the case, all bets are off... put your finger through the fabric and explain to the customer that's the reason you can't clean it. In a round about way, that's what I did once.... :redface:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
It almost looks like it was in a garage or somewhere with only the top exposed and those are exhaust fumes on it. You would think that if it was mold that the delineation line would not be as crisp looking as it is.

I would try cleaning it only after the customer signed off saying that the we are not responsible for ANY damage or discoloration that occurs as a result of our attempt to restore the fabric. If it doesn't look like our cleaning efforts are not going to make enough of an improvement, or if it's falling apart, we can just say we gave it our best effort and then walk... no charge.

As I have told our crews many times over the years when presented with heavily soiled/stained furniture, the customer won't take our word for the fact that it is not cleanable and they WILL call someone else. Several times customers have called someone else and embarrassed us because the other company tried it and it came out clean!! Better to at least give it a try... after having them sign off of course.

On closer examination, it looks like the exposed part is already rotting. If that is the case, all bets are off... put your finger through the fabric and explain to the customer that's the reason you can't clean it. In a round about way, that's what I did once.... :redface:

Exactly customer signs off on it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom