What would YOU have said?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Very good examples, Lee! Going to have the office hottie(wife, lol!) check this post out.

My first question is "when would you like it done?" If they are baffled by that question it tells me they are fishing.

Great first question. They want work done tomorrow and I can't make it, no reason to go through the whole song and dance. Move on... I'd also imagine people that don't have a date or some type of time frame are like Lee said just fishing. Have no idea on price, not a repeat client.

Second question is "have you had it cleaned before?" That is one way to find their concerns or previous disappointments.

Only thing I would add very early in the conversation is location. Ohh, you are over an hour away Ms Smith? Were booked.

Third question, after telling them MY name, is "may I get your name?" to file with this quote. I try to keep the conversation helpful to find out their MAIN concerns, which aren't usually price.
Finally, if they are still hung on price only, I would tell them we alway give a written satisfaction guarantee and are known for top quality. This will be under 390. (Leave out words "dollars" or "hundred")....just sounds softer.

Actual examples are soooo helpful! Thanks Lee!

SamIam

Name
sam miller
PEEE-ESSS

regarding pre "in home" inspections....

to a savvy consumer that's been around the block, I tell you what that suggests...

someone is coming into my home to try sell me the moon and stars package
I'll be forced to look at glossy fold-outs and glowing testimonials I don't care about .
and have $30K whoopty-doo windows and doors shoved at me when my needs and budget only allows $15K

and if you bring out an eye dropper and stupid saturated paper scotch guard sample demo, I might puke on your Florsheims ....

no clue whether or not Swabby's prospect was looking for "cheap" or just needed/wanted a ballpark to budget.
Could of been either .
My spidy senses didn't tingle over his resistance for an in-home pre inspection when no kind of price range would be given.
Matter of fact, my "consumer shoes " spidy senses would of tingled thinking "this guy's sky-hi" or he wouldn't be coming over here in the evening to give a "well formulated" JoePo sales pitch

I'm sure Swabby just wants to make sure all contingencies/needs/wants are clear and addressed
BUTT
.....the consumer doesn't know him from Adam, and saying "we're competitive" doesn't flip the $witch enough when 94.778% of other outfits will give me a ballpark

naw'mean??

..L.T.A.

This is so true!

My wife got a estimate to paint our house just trim the rest is mostly stucco!

The guy on yelp with a lot of reviews and a good reputation came out and spent a hour on why he was the only one with workman’s comp insurance and his paint job was guaranteed longer and and and!

An hour then he writes $4500 and says give us a call!

My wife said it was like a car salesman if they take up alot of your time, your obligated!

So she called one other guy great reviews too!

Came and looked spent 15 minutes and quoted $2200 was nice friendly! No I’m the only game in town pitch!

He got the job and ended up hitting some of the stucco in areas too because he said it looked dull and wanted the job to reflect his work!

He got a couple good reviews!

Two days later my CRB knocked some paint off a wall I’m a spaz!

Real picky lady afraid I leave water marks on her porcelain!

I called my painter to have him fix it!

He said I live around the corner from that house I’ll take care thanks for the reviews!

Never got a bill, never heard back from picky lady!

Both business are reputable and definetly know the work the higher price guys do is quality!

But less jamming the competition and more about you and your job!

Last edited:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
PEEE-ESSS
regarding pre "in home" inspections....
to a savvy consumer that's been around the block, I tell you what that suggests...

I agree, even in my own house I feel everyone is out to get me! Especially my well pump guy! And the furnace fooker, I swear all he does is take a 15 minute nap with his head in my furnace and charges me 120 and I have to move to fooking water softener just to get at it.

At the same time, some people just have no idea how big their rooms are and ain't going to measure or even guess for us.

Reactions: SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Ps that why I hate the zerorez, chemdry approach!

Talk about your process fine!

Make your statement fine!

But to say you’ve never really had your carpets cleaned before, everything, everyone leaves a residue and rapid resoil isn’t true and bash the industry they want to be part of!

Not saying there aren’t a lot residues left behind by some it just not everyone else except them!

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Keep it coming. Bear in mind that this was not a phone conversation.

I like Meg’s “Based on the information YOU have provided,..”

Generally, customers here are very surprised and pleased that I’ll come give them an actual measured quote, or spend any time with them. This fellow is an exception.

On the phone, it is much easier to ask some important questions or explain what they’ll get for the money. And yes, I bend over backwards to give satisfaction and yes, to return if needed on any issues.

But on my terms, the first of which is an inspection. It is a much greater investment of my time and material than it is of his, as I may have to drive a long way.
And no, it isn’t so I can jack the price, it is so I can do better work, get to know them and let them get comfortable with me.
There are at least three guys in my area charging .60/foot for the same work I do at .36-.40. There are dozens doing rinse jobs for much less.

I get it that he may feel suspicious; it is likely he is from NewYorkistan.

steve_64

I approach 90 percent of my residential the same way. I don't need to see it first but I leave room for adjusting price when I get there. It's usually a waste of my time to go look at first but there have been exceptions.

The key for me is to get them talking and when they pause I try and book it.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
And no, it isn’t so I can jack the price

I was sure of that, Swabby
I have you pegged as a "good egg"

it is so I can do better work, get to know them and let them get comfortable with me

before you show up with buckets and a porty .....to get a hunnert bukz a room
sorry, couldn't resist

upload_2018-5-6_20-39-57.jpeg

..L.T.A.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Different ways to respond and a lot of good comments how to handle this person.

I rarely take an email inquiring seriously. If they don’t want to speak on the phone it is hard for me to take them seriously as a prospective customer. (That may not be true for other carpet cleaning companies.)

If someone calls who is not a repeat or referral I ask if the are looking for a high quality clean or are in the market for a cheap cleaning, which is most likely the case since the first and only question is how much $.

If I determine price is most important I won’t even try to determine how much square footage they actually have to clean or to explain what our service includes. I just tell them .45 per sq. ft. and $4 per step. In this case I would just say 2500 feet would cost $1,125. I can’t help but get a kick out of their reaction. :). Sometimes I tell them I haven’t had a raise in 13 years, just for fun. Afterall, they will never be my customer.

I may tell them the cleaners that charge half as much actually make more money than we do. Everyone charges what they are worth.

When they tell the cheap price by the room cleaner they eventually hire to clean their carpet about our price, it probably messes with them as well.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Different ways to respond and a lot of good comments how to handle this person.

I rarely take an email inquiring seriously. If they don’t want to speak on the phone it is hard for me to take them seriously as a prospective customer. (That may not be true for other carpet cleaning companies.)

If someone calls who is not a repeat or referral I ask if the are looking for a high quality clean or are in the market for a cheap cleaning, which is most likely the case since the first and only question is how much $.

If I determine price is most important I won’t even try to determine how much square footage they actually have to clean or to explain what our service includes. I just tell them .45 per sq. ft. and $4 per step. In this case I would just say 2500 feet would cost $1,125. I can’t help but get a kick out of their reaction. :). Sometimes I tell them I haven’t had a raise in 13 years, just for fun. Afterall, they will never be my customer.

I may tell them the cleaners that charge half as much actually make more money than we do. Everyone charges what they are worth.

When they tell the cheap price by the room cleaner they eventually hire to clean their carpet about our price, it probably messes with them as well.

I would not think that e-mail inquiries aren't serious.... Heck, they could be more serious and better paying than some dummy calling you on the phone.
E-mailer guy could be trying to take care of his carpet cleaning issue -while at work- in the high end attorneys' office where talking to carpet cleaners on the phone is not cool.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Perhaps I should have considered commercial business may be different.

I only deal in residential.

And admittedly I don’t use the internet much as a way to get new business.

Again, being higher priced may have something to do with my experience.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The world has changed. Emails and texts are the only communication some people use today. I am a little like Loren, I don't always view email as legitimate communication but I have had to slap myself upside the head and get with the program. I just did a new website with a contact page that is directed to my email. I have had 3 people contact me so far that way. I have done one job and one more tomorrow. The third buggered off because of the price. I also get some yelp inquiries. If you just give them price, they will go somewhere cheaper. You have to give them a reason to buy. I have done some jobs where the client arranged everything by text and only met them when doing the job. Not taking emails and text seriously, means you're losing business.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We 8-12 a week. Most are estimates but some clients want to book a specific date.

Our "info at" goes to three people just to ensure the ball doesn't get dropped. Since I open up for the day, I read and forward to the appropriate person. I'll check with them later to be sure they made contact.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom