WHAT! You cleaned a wool area rug with an Orbot?

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by Nomad74, Nov 29, 2017.

By Nomad74 on Nov 29, 2017 at 12:32 AM
  1. Nomad74
    Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
    Damon
    I sure did. It was my only option.

I get to the job and the customer has a 150 sqft. area rug. She tells me it's silk and it needs to be cleaned. The rug was pretty dirty but I could tell it wasn't silk. I inspected the back for a tag and all I found was an ambiguous tag that was not very helpful. I did a burn test and the fiber ashed. I put a bit of water on the corner and after about 5 minutes it smelled like wet dog. Okay, so I was pretty sure it was wool.

I told the customer I would need to take the rug back to my "shop" to clean it properly. This rug had a lot of reds, blues, and greens. I explained to her that to be safe I would need to use dyloc and a wool safe cleaner. Areas of the rug would also need to be treated for urine (With U-Turn by Centrum Force). Then there was also all the fringe work.

When it was all said and done, my quote for this rug was about $450. I thought the lady was going to have a stroke. She replied, "The last guy cleaned it on the floor right there." Looking at her floor I told her that was a horrible idea. She had Pergo flooring and the joints were not the best. I then pulled back the rug and showed her that because the rug had been cleaned in place her Pergo had swollen. She said she didn't care because the landlord was going to rip out the floor anyway. "Yeah, sure he is" I thought to myself.

After going over all the reasons I couldn't clean her rug in place I finally agreed to encap it for her. Yes, I'm going to hell. While cleaning it I was thinking to myself, "I'm sure glad @T Monahan isn't around to see this."

Anyway, it came out pretty good. There was a noticeable difference in the brightness and odor of the rug. Once again the Orbot Vibe saved me.

Below are some pics, swollen floor included.

IMG_5564.JPG IMG_5565.JPG IMG_5566.JPG IMG_5567.JPG IMG_5568.JPG IMG_5569.JPG IMG_5571.JPG IMG_5573.JPG IMG_5574.JPG IMG_5575.JPG
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Bob Pruitt likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by Nomad74, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

PRINCE

Name:
      The Mighty
      There is Bawb's wolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Nomad74 likes this.
    2. Nate The Great
      Nate The Great

Name:
      Nate W.
      Dude, you gotta stop bartering with the crackheads... Them projects most likely are what piss your wife off... Do you ever finish one? :stir:
    3. Nomad74
      Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
      Damon
      Live a little. Variety is the spice of life.
    4. Cleanworks
      Cleanworks

Name:
      Ron Marriott
      That's right, 3 wives and counting.
      Nomad74 likes this.
    5. The Great Oz
      The Great Oz

Name:
      bryan
      It might be on the presentation thumb drive, which could be anywhere.

I do have the Scotchgard sign photo, if anyone questions whether wool carpet producers think their product needs a stain-resist treatment.
      IMG_3811.JPG
      T Monahan, scottw and Desk Jockey like this.
    6. Ron K
      Ron K

I don't understand what a picture of "Chlorine Rinse" has to do with this post? Tom are you inferring people should "Bleach rugs?
      Or you should Steam Clean all rugs since most Wool is dyed in water hotter then most TM'S? Or should rugs be hacked out in home?
      Maybe I'm not getting it. I got rugs to extract rugs after my AC, see y'all.
    7. Bob Pruitt
      Bob Pruitt

Name:
      Robert Pruitt
      I get a call regularly by Property Management Companies in Naples or Marco Island that have work for me. These homes will be occupied by someone the following day for lots of money if not Owner Occupied.

Typical job is all the upholstery, all the wall to wall carpet...the bedrooms, maybe, and all the rugs. Usually all protected. I doubt there is any place on the US that has more rugs. I have never seen a Rug Cleaning Plant here.
      So that's the job and the business I'm in as a On Location Cleaner.
      Nomad74 likes this.
    8. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

PRINCE

Name:
      The Mighty
      That's it Bob, I'm turning you into the Area Rug Cleaning POLICE. :winky:
      Bob Pruitt and Nomad74 like this.
    9. Jack Zipper Zerkie
      Jack Zipper Zerkie

Name:
      jack zerkie
      Hi Bob. Captain Steemer had a small on site her years past but not enough work so the packed it up and sold it. There is a guy in Bonita or Naples that cleans& repairs wool and high end carpets pickup and deliveries .
      Bob Pruitt likes this.
    10. Paul
      Paul

Name:
      Paul Notarstefano
      The result came up pretty good. You have done a great job.
      Nomad74 likes this.
    11. T Monahan
      T Monahan

Supportive Member

Name:
      Tom Monahan
      The point was merely wool rugs that are made go through a scouring process that usually includes what rug cleaners and their instructors in our industry consider caustic chemistry. When a rug washer has a piece in there possession to clean for a customer, they can be aware of that this was done. Even the best made machine rugs in America like Karastan.