What's the best way to take out vinyl from van?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
If you are talking about a VIYNL flooring to protect the bed ..............

It is probally glued to a wood substrate :?: if so,it is much less work to
just remove the entire floor...... You can look under the van to get an aproximation
of the screws..then cut the surface of the vinyl & back the screws out.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I used a heat gun.
Similar to hair blow drier but get much MUCH hotter.
You can buy an inexpensive one at harbor Freight..'bout $12-$15 bukz i think
(be careful though, cause they get hot enough to blister paint if let in one spot too long)

Think i used a citrus solv to remove the glue residue.

It was sho-nuff a big PITA

..L.T.A.

ascrubabove

Heat gun is the best way, once you get the leters off you can get the glue off with brake parts cleaner and some rags, just dont let the bpc stay on the paint too long or it will take it off to!

Name
Nate W.
Heat gun first. You will get the feel for it, not leaving it in one spot too long. Then use Goo-Gone for the glue. Time consuming but well worth it.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I just did a whole van. That was a lot of work.
Tried hairdryer, did not work.
Did not know about those plastic blades.

What I ended up doing was an iron and a wet towel- took a long time. Heat then pull. Then delimonene to remove the glue.
Wear gloves or say goodbye to your skin.

Good luck.
I'm glad I don't have to do it again.

Name
I'm Rick James
kolfer1 said:
I just did a whole van. That was a lot of work.
Tried hairdryer, did not work.
Did not know about those plastic blades.

What I ended up doing was an iron and a wet towel- took a long time. Heat then pull. Then delimonene to remove the glue.
Wear gloves or say goodbye to your skin.

Good luck.
I'm glad I don't have to do it again.

Go what with meathead is saying, that is the best and easiest way to go about it.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
SINGLE EDGE RAZOR.............

Take new blade...hone it on the windsheild...lay at a 45 degree angle & rub it
back & forth on the glass...this will dull it enough that it won't cut into the paint..

After you have removed all the vinyl lettering......then go to a local Paint & Body shop
and ask them for some "PREP-SOLVE"..... the glue will wipe right off...most of the
glue-removers suggested above will damage the paints finish or just smear the glue...

I owned 2 P&B shops....this was the best procedure we found...NOT HEAT GUNS.....
our detail-shop removed dealer stickers on ROLLS ROYCE's with this procedure...

ps if the weather is cold where you are......you can use a hair dryer on the inside panel
of the van....HEAT GUNS ARE TOO HOT & can cause the paint to seperate from the clear coat.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like a pita but I gotta do it. Stickers have only been there a few years so maybe they will behave.

Does that mean your an independent now?

Wednesday

Albert

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
:lol:

I have to wipe the dust off of it and box it to them. Then I have an appointment next week with some dude that will de-hipnotize me. I hear it's a device like they used in Men in Black.

Albert

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Albert,

Great to here you have stepped into the light....I know several guys who have
left the DARK SIDE and been very sucessful....The one thing that has helped in
their sucess as a O/O is a since of business structure that they learned from C/D.

It is wise to set-up a Franchise fee for your OWN business!!!! Stick that % in the BANK...
Now-a-Days, more than ever "cash is king".......I wish only the BEST for you in "YOUR"
new endevor....If I can help in any way, just give me a call!

Regards,
Joe Harper

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
the last one I had I took it to a body shop and they got the vinyl warm then scrapped it off with some eraser tool then they cleaned it off with a buffer and I think rubbing compound

took them about an hour for $125

I would ask who ever unstalled it if they know some one who does it

Mikey P

Administrator
Been there done that Albert, the vinyl actually comes off pretty easily, it's the adhesive that separates the men from the boys and the fact you don't want to damage the paint especially the gloss, cause it's reall friggen obvious when it's all done.

Take this advice: After you have removed all the vinyl lettering......then go to a local Paint & Body shop
and ask them for some "PREP-SOLVE"..... the glue will wipe right off...most of the
glue-removers suggested above will damage the paints finish or just smear the glue.

You can also get a good Prep from a carwash/auto detail supplier, www.washwayUSA.net I think is where I bought my gallon; but just google washway and carwash to find it, good price too, pick up some of their yellow sponges with the fishnet cover while you are at it, you'll need them with the prep remover.

So...a plastic scraper, some prep, a stack of rags, and believe it or not some black plastic (trashbag) is very usefull for sweating off the bulk of it, I wet down the vinyl in 3' areas and slapped a trash bag over it and let it soak for 20 mins. this helped a lot when I started to scrape, then followed with the prep scrub, and followed again with the prep final wipedown.

your paint, your lungs and your hands will thank you buying the right product.

GREENIE on Mike's puter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom