Whats the easiest way to hone/flatten a polished Marble counter and floor?

Mikey P

Administrator
once high polished floor and counter in a super tight tiny bathroom is all messed up and she wants to to "make it all dull"..

Should I bring some Muriatic and a paint brush?...lol

tell me the easy and jiffy way to go about this WITH OUT a 175 or other tools.

Mikey P

Administrator
I've tried Cobbs acid for this before and it got real splotchy. Great for soil and soap scum but no it's intended purpose.

What's with the Deodorizer?

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
Sodium percarbonate ... Knocks the shine down without serious etching... I suppose it all depends on the extend of the "damage" already done...if it has "burns" then acid is next.
BUT you did ask "without tools", and you would still need to rinse (neutralize) these ideas...

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
I didn't say "etch" I said it will knock down the shine... Dull it... there may still be some shine left...

I don't know if there is going to be an "easy way" for you on this job... I will ask Kemp what dilution of Viper Renew he used on his sisters travertine to take it to Honed, Etched.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I saw a travertine floor that had salsa dropped on it, it looked etched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rob Fairfield

Supportive Member
Name
Rob Fairfield
Lance is right chemically is the easiest way to do it. splotchy was not Renew related. Splotchy comes from not being honed evenly. We use our acidic tile and grout cleaner all the time diluted 15 to 20:1. If you want to do it mechanically under a hand machine your 400 grit DIP will work perfectly but you may have some window paining issues.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Use 5" 400 grit Spinergy pad and tool you would use to do counter tops. That should fit in any bathroom and knock things down to a dull hone.

Name
cameron demille
it can be done chemically, but I wouldn't recommend that as your first choice. It can turn out splotchy or get "hot spots" or chemically damaged crystallized spots.

You can use honing powder. We have Soft Cut honing powder that will hone marble, travertine and limestone. Use a white pad under floor or hand machine and you shouldn't get any picture framing. It's inert, no chemicals.

http://www.easystonecare.com/Soft-Cut-Honing-Powder-p/p-hone2.htm

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
My bad, I should have mentioned hand machine. Unless it's the size of an outhouse, you can get the big areas with the 17 then edges and around the toilet with a Makita/DeWalt/Milwaukee etc using a 200 or 400g powder. I always use a 35lb drive plate when honing as well...BTW Cam's powder is aluminum oxide, works great and is well priced unlike a certain very large corporation that sells the same exact stuff, just sayin" :)

Last edited by a moderator:

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I've seen vinegar take the shine off marble. One of the HO's friends told her to use it to clean the grout. I also overheard a salesperson tell the customer to use the same to take out shine from marble. Evenly apply with a microfiber mop for a while and see if that does it. I'd still have my makita with green pad, 400 grit pad or honing powder in case it's blotchy.

If you use honing powder don't let it dry, it will be a pita to remove specially with dark grout.

Mikey P

Administrator
Finally got to this job...

With Magic Al's Glass and Metal Magic along with a Stone Pro Ultra Hog Hair pad and just by hand I was able to remove etching and soil off the honed marble slab counter.

On the floor we used Stone Scrub and a white pad/175 to deep clean the marble tiles that had a satin polish originally. Over the years they took on a false shine, much like Travertine does, fooling me to believe they were a high polish at one time. While some scratches remained there was a huge improvement in consistency cleanliness and appearance.

Along with a good dose of Cobbs it was a very easy 4fiddy.

20130703_100920_zps73cef9c3.jpg

20130703_102513_zps696a7e21.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom