What's the first thing I check for TM electrical issues?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Other than the battery(it's new), what are a few simple things I can check myself, If my tm wont keep a charge?

The unit works great for about two hours or so, after that the battery is dies and I need to hook up jumper cables to truck battery to finish.

Anything simple I can check, before it ends up going in?

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I have a PTO system,

But would think there is something wrong with whatever is supposed to charge your battery. Does a slide in have an alternator?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
These small engine have two basic parts to the charging system. A stator located behind the flywheel and a rectifier/regulator. It's not uncommon for the regulator to go bad. I have also had several stators go bad on my Kohlers. Obviously check all wires and connections. Your small engine guy can easily check the system. This is assuming you have a good battery to start with.

Reactions: jcooper

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
Check ALL electrical connections from the battery to the machine and make sure you have good clean connections. I have a Boxxer 427 and was having the same problem. It ended up being the charging solenoid and the regulator that went bad. Like Shane said, if you have a small engine repair shop locally you can have them check it out to see were the problem is.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
If its a briggs engine,or any smaller with a stator, more than likely the regulator. We replaced them every 2 years on average back when we had a few smaller machines in the fleet. You could also have a bad battery - take it to a parts store to test.

If it is the reg - 5 minute fix with a $40 part. Use the manufacturers part, not an aftermarket, latter is less reliable.

If it's a larger engine, take to a shop, have them run the same test they would on a car, battery and alternator. We have had a few alternator wire connectors go bad, most mechanics can put new connectors in them on the cheap.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
While it's running, disconnect the battery. If it dies when you do, you definitely have an electrical problem in the charging system- not the battery.

If it continues to run, but doesn't run as smoothly as it did with the battery connected, pull one spark plug wire (use insulated pliers) while it's running. When you do:

1.) If there's no difference, then there's a problem with the magneto on that side. (The magneto is the coil that the spark plug wire originates at. It generates the current to fire the plug and charge the battery.)

2.) If the engine dies, there's a problem with the magneto on the side still connected. (To verift, re-do the test with the other side disconnected and the one you just did, connected.)

It's not common for both magnetos to go out at once in my experience, but it does happen.

Becker

Name
Becker
Mine did that once, it was a ground wire on the frame under the engine.
Had fallen off.

Rewired it, as good as new.

So check all the grounding wires.

Back
Top Bottom