What's the going rate for VCT?

Able 1

Name
Keith
Just curious, did my first one today at $1.36SF,but felt it was low(30 min re-coat, and all).. It was nice not running my TM! What's the average price?

Reactions: Willy P

Able 1

Name
Keith
That bad hey? I was thinking of pushing some this winter..

Willy P

Name
Willy P
$1 a sf is what I charge, .50 for clean and recoat. There's guys here that do it as low as 30 cents. You get what you pay for.

Reactions: Able 1

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Not a great idea to base your business on numbers pulled out of thin air. For vct its time/materials basically.
Have to learn what jobs are production killers.

Putting furniture back is a killer, so is putting 5-6 layers of floor finish. You can just buy a timesaver finish and put 2 down.
The best jobs are new installs, the worst are exam rooms in medical.

The benefit is you can sell combo packages carpet/tile and elbow out most competitors easily. Most carpet guys wont do it and most floor care dont have truckmounts.
Retail is a completely different racket, I'm talking about offices. Most of the jobs are 1000 sqr ft or less.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
The rate will/should be based on your production rate.

So your charge will have to change as the size of the areas change normally for 5000 SQft and lower without moving furniture is .50

Areas larger than 10000 SQft is .35 with the moving of all furniture but we are structured to make a killing at this rate and it is usually our most profitable VCT bracket.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I'm talking strip and wax 4 coats.. Sitting around watch it dry is a time killer! I had two areas, so I could jump back and forth..

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Lee a dehu won't do anything to speed up drying on a VCT job trust me I have tested it multiple times and the time needed to start drying the air in the area is just not there because of the size of the coils and the small amount of air processed thru the coils.

In fact the first dehus and air movers I bought, I purchased in order to test any effectiveness of a dehus for the purpose of drying the finish faster.

Now turning on the a/c and having a 5 ton a/c Unit running will cut time by maybe half.

We still wait at least 45 minutes between coats for best optical brightness and initial shine on the floor.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
You can become very wealthy doing 1000plus sqft jobs at 1 dollar a square foot.

Very wealthy.
or very poor waiting for those jobs to come.....

as everyone said....its what you can get and how fast you are...

I had a commercial acct that avg .10 a ft......yet I still grossed about $125 an hr, and that was with waiting...

on the flip side i have done some at $2 a ft and came out at $50 an hr and 3x as tired as the .10.....

Name
Lee Stockwell
Where does the water come from?

Yes I crank the hvac if I can, because our humidity runs so close to saturation. Careful with fans though.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I am not saying it won't pull water, what i am saying is that the difference the dehu makes is neglible and not worth a quarter of the effort or time it takes loading it in the truck and setting up,pulling down, and loading back in the truck, and taking off truck back at the shop.

Not worth it, experiemented with it on jobs that we did regularly and it didn't improve drying time by even five minutes.

Take the time and clean your equipment between coats, organize the truck, wash and wax you truck, plenty of things to do instead of just waiting.

If you are tired just rest between coats. Just don't get in a hurry and milk up the floor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom