What's your hourly rate?

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
One of my property management companies asked me today what my hourly rate is. When I work I like to be at about $100 per hour. It doesn't always work out, but that's the number I shoot for. I'm a little nervous to tell them because they probably have something really bad they're going to drop on me.

What would be a fair hourly rate to charge Property Management?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
One of my property management companies asked me today what my hourly rate is. When I work I like to be at about $100 per hour. It doesn't always work out, but that's the number I shoot for. I'm a little nervous to tell them because they probably have something really bad they're going to drop on me.

What would be a fair hourly rate to charge Property Management?
It depends what your service is?

Name
Kevin De Medeiros
I would never tell them what your hourly rate is. That's your business. If they are inquiring about your services I would simply say that you do not price by the hour , it's by square footage. You should ask him what his hourly pay is. I will bet you that he won't tell you.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Yeah it was a bit of an odd request. I'm wondering what they are going to drop on me.
They might want you to do something besides carpet cleaning/repair. If they have a water damage job, you might need to tear out some sheetrock and carpet or something like that. If that's the case, you can't charge $100hr

Reactions: Old Coastie

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
They might want you to do something besides carpet cleaning/repair. If they have a water damage job, you might need to tear out some sheetrock and carpet or something like that. If that's the case, you can't charge $100hr
Can't do that In California without a contractors license.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Can't do that In California without a contractors license.
It was just an example. Property managers are weird. They always want you to do more than you're advertising. Pick up a paint brush, repair a light fixture, fix a leaking pipe, etc. That was my point.

But if they're just asking what you charge per hour for carpet cleaning, then tell them you never charge by the hour, you charge by the sq. ft. or job. If they still get hissy, then start asking them questions. Why?

Reactions: Old Coastie

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Nothing good will come of this. :winky:

We target $160.00 but we don't always achieve it. Regularly over on commercial but usually on average for residential.

I'd play dumb.

"Why do you ask?"

"I can do some checking. Is there a reason you need it?"

"Its been some years since I last figured it but I think it was around $$$$ ? Why do you ask?"

This is what happens when you own sports cars and high dollar motor cycles! :razz:

:winky:

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Ask which hours should I count... then tell him to visualize an iceberg.... the tip of that mountain of time is the time you get to see but all that time you don't see is what makes it possible for me to drive over here...more time... and serve my favorite client! Big smile!
I know Damon can make this funny....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I like that Bob. Production time but factoring in the total cost to deliver the service brings it down to a more paletable number.

I still wouldn't drop that bomb unless pressed for it.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt
Name
Kevin De Medeiros
Sounds to me like this manager has something up his sleeve. Probably thinks you are expensive and he's probably doing the math that if he has someone in his employ that he can get to do your job and pay him $12 an hour and just rent a machine. These dudes are always trying to find ways to make there bonus bigger at the end of the year by trying to save money and the cleaners are always the easiest to cut from.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I agree with Richard. Play dumb and dig deeper as to why they want to know.

We target for more than Richard.

We've had clients tell us we make more per hour than they do as a doctor or lawyer (after we were done the job). Funny how they were fine with the price up front, were extremely happy with the results but then took issue when they figured out how much it was per hour.

But since we charge for the job,/results not how long it takes and they agreed to the job price and were happy with the result they really can't say much.

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
All kidding aside.

Nothing good will come from you answering that question.

And frankly, I'd be offended by it.
Yeah. I'll admit. I'm a little put off by the question. I work my ass off for them. Sometimes I spend 8 hours on a house for them. My pricing is usually sq ft and a cost per gallon of osr and stain removal.

Name
Kevin De Medeiros
Yeah. I'll admit. I'm a little put off by the question. I work my ass off for them. Sometimes I spend 8 hours on a house for them. My pricing is usually sq ft and a cost per gallon of osr and stain removal.
You should ask him why he's asking.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
That's because they don't have a clue what goes into running a reputable and professional carpet cleaning business. It's just cleaning right?
I'm now the only carpet cleaner this company uses. I got it because I do anything they ask. At times it can be a little rediculous. They use me because I do a great job. I would hate for them to forget that and start using hacks.

Reactions: Kevin De Medeiros

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom