Which synthetic lubricants are right for my CDS?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Hi,
I have a 1999 CDS with a Universal RAI roots blower model 47 ARAI-JHYD
I want to start doing my own oilchanges.I think I want to go all synthetic.I have done a little research and the more calls i make the more confused I get.
Hydramaster recommends New Lube 100
LPM here in Spokane uses Aeon PD Blower 28G23, DA Burns in Seattle uses 150 synthetic gear oil.
I understand that the viscosity on the Aeon is 220.
So since it gets cold here in Idaho I wonder if that oil would not be too thick?
What should I be using when the temperatures range between 100 and 20 F?
For my waterpump which is a CatPump 3CP1120.3
Hydramaster recommends Catpump oil
DA Burns recommends
DTE 16M Hydraulic orISO VG 68
and LPM says that Mobil One 5/W 30 would be the best
I also heard that Cat Pump Oil has graphite in it. and I guess synthetic oil doesn't
What would be the best oil for that water pump?
Is there a good source for those types of lubricants?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
While I'm at it, there is another thing I forgot to ask.
It's a CDS with a driveshaft and several grease nipples that needs to be greased and and the blower has a couple also.
How many pumps should I give for each nipple.On some of them I see when the grease comes out on others i don't.
I don't want to overdo it especially on the driveshaft where it could make a real mess. I also was told that it is actually bad to lubricate a blower too much or too often. Is this true?

Becker

Name
Becker
I'll take a stab..

I'd imagine you'd be fine with Synthetic anywhere you want it, as long as you use the correct weight. Unless the manual sez otherwise.
As for greasing, and referring to the manual. I'd see what the manual suggest for greasing the shaft and blower. I grease my blower ever 100 hrs along with a full oil change.
I grease the blower until it comes out the other side as do I with the vans u-joints if equipped with zerks.
As for the manual, it is available on hydramasters website.

I'd say it is better to lube more often than wait to long. I broken u-joint on the shaft can cause a lot of damage.
A blower replacement is not cheap.

Grease is..

Reactions: Mikey P

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Surprised Bawb n Shawn ain't wizzin all over each other in here.

60wt Non Detergent Racing Oil : )

Only place I found it was an Amsoil Rep. at one of our Best Bike shops.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Roxy;

The Aeon PD Blower Oil is a good synthetic lube for your blower.

Cat Pump Oil is a specially formulated Crankcase oil for high pressure pumps. Contains anti-wear, rust inhibitor and deoxidizer additives. 30 wt. non-detergent.

These will work fine in your cold climate.

Larry

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Interesting, I had not thought of looking in that direction.
I found this:
http://www.superoilcentral.com/racing-high-performance-oil/sae-60-racing-oil.html
Is that the Oil you are talking about?
Is sounds good except If you read the product details it says this:
"AMSOIL Racing SAE 60 Oil is not recommended for use in cold-temperature environments."
Did I mention I live in Northern idaho?

Thats it.
I run a HX so my rig stays plenty warm, as long as it stays running. That and garage kept so...

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I'm still trying to decidewhich lubnicants to use, but I'll have to make a decision this week, it's time. There is a difference in the viscosity between Aeon ( 200) and New Lube (100).At least that's what I think they are. Does anybody here know why Hydramaster might recommend New Lube instead of Aeon? Is there an advantage of one vs the other? I can get aeon at my local supplyer but I would have to order New Lube.
As far as the Water pump goes I guess I'll go with Cat Pump oil even though it is not a synthetic oil.It doesn't look like there is a clear synthetic alternative that is better.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Good God!! I would recommend Aeon PD but its not a BFD. 30W non detergent is fine and Cat oil can be bought at Northern Tool for less than 10 bucks. Why overthink this. If you change the oil annually, it ain't gonna matter.:icon_rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom