White Dust under Wool Rug

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
I've got an account at Funeral home I clean daily and they have a wool rug, haven't looked at tag at all but is about 10 years old and feels ratty and thinned out to me but every week or so when I lift up the rug it is all white dust underneath and anytime you beat the rug at all it comes out white dust.

I picked up a wool rug of a great, wealthy customer of mine and dropped it on ground rolled up today and out of the back came white dust.

What do we have going on? I KNOW neither of them would use the white glade/carpet fresh powder at all.

It's a Dash and Albert Company. Handhooked. 100% Wool top. 100% Cotton Back

Anybody got an idea what it is??

John Watson

I believe its called Capture!! Unless it a rug with a backing then its called laytex. Please note this is a site unseen dionogist elaberation.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Dash and Albert is just a rug store that sells a lot of different types of rugs.

Chances are it's latex filler released as the cheap latex dries out. Lower price-point hand tufted rugs are famous for backcoatings that last three to five years and start to break down.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
hand hooked means latexed back.. like oz and other said.. glue is crystalizing and breaking down.. will continue to do this, unless you can remove the fake back, remove all excess glue and relatex with a better non cyrstalizing latex but often these rugs aren't worth the cost to get it done.

Jamesh921

Name
James
From his description, it sounds like the latex is falling off the back of the carpet, not from the face. Could you just add good quality latex over the existing "bad" latex, locking it in place?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
the latex fillers are whats crystallizing.. and falling through, they are very fine and thats why they are on the floor afterward foot traffic. each foot bring and vacuuming acts like a vibrater and drops the crystals through.. if you turned it over they would sift through that way. I've spend 10 hours badgering and compressed air and vacuuming and I still had latex filler falling out of a rug that was shot. when I pulled back the secondary backing, there was still plenty of crystallized latex in the backing that had to be vacuumed out and then dusted again before we could re latex. So it doesn't matter if you seal the back it will come through the front just as easily.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom