Who holds the best classes on Rug Cleaning

Name
Scott
We have been passing up area rug cleaning except for the non bleeders for a while and would like to jump into this market now that we have really established ourselves, got a bigger shop, more vans, and a good staff we dont have to babysit anymore. Which class would you recommend taking, preferably on the west coast?

RonH

Name
Ron H
I was born in the morning but not this morning

I took Lisa Wagner's course and she is the best. I looked at that $6000 for 5 day course in Texas. No way, I was born in the morning but not this morning. Besides that Lisa is cute.
Ron H.

Mikey P

Administrator
welcome to MB Ron

tell us about your rug cleaning service, do you have a plant? a dedicated area at home? do what you can in the home and farm out the rest?

and how did you find us here?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
If you are just starting rug cleaning and want an IICRC class, Aaron from Masterblend would be my first choice. Jeff Bishop and Ruth Travis do good classes as well. You will spend a lot of time in the pit washing rugs.

Lisa Wagner's class is a very good value. Lots of practical info, not much textbook learning and not much on rug ID. I do think the rug ID is important not in how you clean but in how you discuss rugs with your clients and potential clients.

Barry O'Connell does Rug Lover's tours 3 or 4 times a year. Cover's some cleaning and some marketing with a lot about the history, construction and ID of rugs. My friendly competitor, Paul Lucas sells a lot of chemicals to this group, but it is a great chance to learn about rugs and talk with other ruggies.

The week long course in Texas with Ellen and Aaron is for more advanced rug cleaners who already have some income from rug cleaning and see a market for it to grow a lot. Intense and expensive.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Best clas and what I'd recommend for you are different questions. I'd suggest you start with an IICRC class. They're the simplest, easiest and most likely to be held somewhere near you. Consider them very much entry-level courses. If you're serious, take all the classes you can. The cost of the course and travel is tiny compared to the school of learn-by-ruin.

Remember two things: 1- Anyone that is selling a system along with cleaning is teaching based on selling their system. You'll have to filter some things. 2 - Anyone that teaches that their way is the only right way doesn't really know all that much. You can learn something from both camps, but there are many ways to do a good job of cleaning rugs.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I agree with Oz, on both accounts.

There where a few guys at the Denver ARCS tour where some of the really good info didn't click for these guys
due to the lack of familiarity and experience

RonH

Name
Ron H
I am not a big time rug washer like a lot of you. I am happy when I get 30 – 50 rugs a week. With what Lisa taught me and the help I get from my local Interlink guys I stay out of trouble. I keep hearing about that Michigan guys chemicals but I have great success with the new stuff from BridgePoint. I was a MasterBlend guy but I love WoolMedic and I met their chemist Tom at Connections and that guy is the Real Deal Rug Guy. He knows his stuff. Scott is right about the Rug Tour, I learned a lot. As for Jeff and Ruthie I thought they no longer taught together. Sorry if I am mistaken. One word about the IICrC rug course: Carpet Cleaning cert is a prerequisite. What about us guys that do not do Carpet? For me it is the 3 Ls and two Bs: Lisa, Lisa, and Lisa, plus Bridgepoint and my Badger. BTW I did not take Lisa's class because she is cute, it was just a fringe benefit. (bad pun intended, get it "Fringe" HaHa) Mikey what training for rugs have you taken? How did you like it?
I do most of my own rugs, I job the paper rugs to Barry O'Connell he is the king of paper and I send my silk and the tapestries and needlepoints to Wade Shehady. Wade is also doing my more complex repairs. Barry helped me find and train a local woman to do the simple stuff. Repairs are a real nice profit area for me now and I used to let them get away.
Ron H

Last edited:

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
I agree with Oz, on both accounts.

There where a few guys at the Denver ARCS tour where some of the really good info didn't click for these guys
due to the lack of familiarity and experience

I have taken Ruth and Jeff's course of former years, Lisa Wagner's at Jon-Don's, and others.

For an advance course, I recommend Master Rug Cleaner: http://masterrugcleaner.net/index.php

Ellen and Aaron produce a nice course that I have enjoyed. I sent one of my guys too!

20121215_134916_zpsa5a0fdf7.jpg

When it comes to rug education the cost of the program should be compared to the potential liability - rugs can be expensive. I can understand not everyone has $6,000 for training so IICRC is good place start. However, it is interesting to note all of the instructors mentioned above - plus others - received their training and certification (CRS/MRC) with Ellen Amirkhan. Take a look at her company web site www.dallasrugcleaner.com. She is called the Rugczarina for a reason.

Reactions: GCCLee

Mikey P

Administrator
No formal education for me Ron

I got out of my Rug Plant partnership long before I had any real desire to actually know what I was doing.

RonH

Name
Ron H
Thanks Aaron, That clears the air and if you endorse Ellen it must be impartial. I guess I got some misinformation. I have heard that you and Ellen teach cleaning but neither of you have ever built a cleaning business. Someone and I do not want to mention his name is claiming that Ellen inherited a going business and you are only a soap salesman. Can you give the straight skinny on where your rug cleaning business was and something like rugs per week or number of employees? I would love to nail that guy with the facts.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Thanks Aaron, That clears the air and if you endorse Ellen it must be impartial. I guess I got some misinformation. I have heard that you and Ellen teach cleaning but neither of you have ever built a cleaning business. Someone and I do not want to mention his name is claiming that Ellen inherited a going business and you are only a soap salesman. Can you give the straight skinny on where your rug cleaning business was and something like rugs per week or number of employees? I would love to nail that guy with the facts.

Ellen A. Amirkhan, ISA-CAPP , Oriental and Area Rugs

Ellen Amirkhan is President of Dallas based Oriental Rug Cleaning Co., Inc., a business started by her grandfather in 1911 that specializes in cleaning, repairing, appraising, and selling oriental rugs. Ms. Amirkhan also holds the designation of Certified Appraiser of Personal Property (CAPP), with a specialty in Oriental Rugs and is a Certified Oriental Rug Appraiser (CRA) through The Oriental Rug Retailers of America (ORRA). She is an accredited member of the North Texas Chapter of the International Society of Appraisers (NTISA), and is certified in the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP).

Ms. Amirkhan authored the webinar, “Identifying and Appraising Oriental Rugs”, and is a 20+ year industry instructor of classes and seminars covering all aspects of the rug business throughout the U.S., Australia and the U.K. She is a co-author of A Comprehensive Guide to Oriental and Specialty Rug Cleaning, an in-depth cleaning and rug identification guide that serves as a reference manual to professional cleaners and appraisers.

Ellen is a leader in service to her industry. She is Past President of the National Institute of Rug Cleaning, the Restoration Industry Association (RIA) and the North Texas Chapter of the International Society of Appraisers.

Ellen Amirkhan earned a BS from Texas Woman’s University and an MLA from Southern Methodist University.

I have personally be on the rug wash floor with Ellen many times. Look at my posts here and you will undoubtedly see that her name, picture, or videos will be associated with a sterling reputation in the rug industry. Aaron has associated with the best in the rug industry through his business affairs over the decades. His library of pictures and videos help augment his teaching alongside Ellen in the Master Rug Cleaner course. (Aaron's RCT course gives him a leg-up due to his background)

If I understood your earlier remarks correctly, then I would conclude your source is giving you bad information. Interview with Ellen and Aaron and don't have someone tell what you should believe.

RonH

Name
Ron H
Thanks Mister Monahan! That is what I need to show that guy he is wrong. So which one of them built a rug washing business? Also just where was Aaron’s rug washing plant? Thanks!!!
Ron H.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
This is what I know:

It is clear that Ellen's family started the business in 1911. She grew up in it and now runs the business. She still personally washes rugs and determines the direction of her business. This experience and other elements of her hands-on approach to matters in the rug business makes her an effective instructor.

It is also clear that Aaron operates MasterBlend (http://masterblend.net ) His company sells equipment and chemicals. Aaron has been IICRC Instructor for years. He has washed many rugs during these hands-on introductory courses in rug cleaning. (I am not aware that he has personally owed a rug shop)

Aaron and Ellen co-authored a book on oriental rugs and teach the Master Rug Cleaner course together. Their book is described on their website as follows:

Over 900 photographs, maps and drawings illustrate how to inspect and clean rugs most commonly encountered in a rug cleaning business. Drawing upon their years of cleaning, teaching, appraising, and visiting the most respected and successful companies in the country, the authors combined research with firsthand knowledge in developing the most comprehensive guide in the rug cleaning industry.

I am comfortable recommending them.

RonH

Name
Ron H
Thanks for trying Mister Monahan. The problem is that confirms everything that I was told. I was hoping to catch them in a lie. They just emphasize things different.

Ron I do sell soap (or rather shampoo) like Paul Lucas who is the Chair of the IICRC Rug Cleaning Technician committee where we both serve. My cleaning business was in the LA area many years ago. That was sold when I went to work for Chemspec and then on to start my own manufacturing company MasterBlend.

Stop by The Cleaner's Solution next time I am teaching a class for Don I look forward to meeting you. I am in Maryland several times a year.

RonH

Name
Ron H
Thanks Mister Groseclose, That is exactly what I needed. So if I tell them you had a rug cleaning plant in LA I would be right? I mean you were a in-plant cleaner and not some carpet cleaner cleaning them in the custy’s home?
I do not really know Paul Lucas, are you recommending him? I am more of a Bridgepoint guy. I used to use your stuff but I fell in love with Maxim for wool and Wool Medic. Man oh man can that stuff get pet problems out of a hand-woven rug. I used to buy your stuff at Cleaners Solution but since I took a partner and we moved the business to NVA it is easier to go to Interlink (formerly Cleaners Closet) on Backlick Road in Lorton, VA. Do you ever teach there?
Thank you for the clarification
Ron

Reactions: J Scott W

RonH

Name
Ron H
I never heard Dusty say a bad word about Tom Monahan Aaron Grosenclose or Ellen Amirkhan. There are a couple guys who bought blue who are now recommending red but Dusty just focuses on his equipment. The whole pitch of comparing features and ask the guys who bought blue is making sales go crazy. I am going to get a hold of Don and let him know Aaron had a Rug Plant in LA and that he is off-base. Thanks guys. By the way just so I can tell Don what was Aaron's Rug Washing Plant called? Was it a Moore Plant?
Ron H.

Last edited:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Ron~ you seem to have an agenda to discredit Aaron & Ellen here, popping in here out of nowhere to make snide remarks and innuendo like a junior high student. Can you show enough class to post info on yourself and your company? You claim to be a small tie rug cleaner, though say you clean 1500-2500 per year (not small time at all imo). Some questions for you.

What is your company name and web address?
Please tell us about your rug cleaning facility and equipment.
What is your USP?

Thanks,
Ken

Mikey P

Administrator
I forgot, Spongo does Dusty's whispering for him...

ask Aaron about the time that goof showed up on his personal Facebook page to talk smack in front of his family and (real) friends about the blue vs red drama.

low/no class.

RonH

Name
Ron H
Sorry Mister Snow if II offended you. 2 partners doing our volume in the Northern Va region is small time but we are growing. 1 year ago we were doing well to gross 200K. By adding repairs and tiered pricing and more services we are doing better. Our advantage is that my partner is mostly retail sales and we are using the lower part of his store to wash.
Asking if Mister Groseclose was a rug washer does not seem out of line since he is selling a service. He says he had a rug cleaning business so why is asking about it a put down? I guess it would easier if we all inherited big companies but some of us are trying to build our own. Before spending $6,000 plus all the expenses to attend air, hotel, rental car, meals etc… it seems fair to ask a few questions. 8,000 plus for 5 days is a big chunk for a small business. I also was told that I need to have a Carpet Cleaning cert before I can take the IICRC/RCT course. Not everybody is a Carpet Cleaner or wants to be. Sorry about repeating the other reference about the other person. I promise no more posting after Christmas parties. Makers Mark seems to affect my judgement ;-)
As for equipment we started with a 175 and a MB Rug Roller. We rigged our own drying room but I would like a drying tower with wheels to help us use the sun to dry when we can. Drying is a problem when we get busy and I am thinking about a centrifuge if we keep growing or a MOR press if I can get a good price on a used one. I recently looked at a press that is on the market. It was not MOR but it was too rusted on the base to make it worth the price and the riggers moving costs were obscene. I see what they charge and I wonder if we are in the wrong business. We added a Rug Badger and that really helped us improve quality. I was introduced us to a cleaner who makes chemicals for non-soluble stains and that is creating a nice wholesale niche. I still won’t try those on paper rugs so we send those out. A few retailers in this market are selling paper rugs and they drive me crazy. Labor is one area where we make out. I have two Guatemalan men who work their tails off. I guess the big concerns with them is paper work issues if you know what I mean. So we are small time in this market but we are making money and growing. So before I take $8,000 out for training I have to wonder if I use the other training and put the balance towards drying equipment. If you were in our shoes what would you do?
Ron

Mikey P

Administrator
Same here.

btw, I'll be stopping by Ellen's shop, studio, plant or what ever you call it, next week and with her permission I'll shoot some video and photos.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I did not feel offended at all, sorry if my post implied that. Trying to figure ur endgame. Most coaches and teachers in most industries and colleges do not do, they teach others how to do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Sorry, i didn't see ur company name and web address in ur reply. Can u give us that?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

David VB

Name
David Van Briggle
In this industry, most teachers are in the education business. A few only sell training, most also sell equipment and/or chemicals. As a result, everything they say and do has to be scrutinized. A few take any opportunity to discredit a competitive supplier or teacher. Its only logical to want to know their background so you can filter what they are saying. I try to stay away from those who try to succeed by smearing others.

There is a lot to be learned from someone who has a rug cleaning business. There is also a lot to be learned from others. For example, a formulator who deals daily with many different professional cleaners not only knows more about chemistry but can also share what he learns from many cleaners he works with.

I have Ellen and Aarons book and it has been well worth the cost to me. I took Aaron's IICRC course and liked it. I heard a presentation by Ellen and Aaron at Connections a couple years ago. Ellen did most of the presentation and it was clear she has a lot to offer. I went to the event Barry O'Connell, Dusty, Paul Lucas and Nathan Koets put on and found it very worthwhile. I look forward to any opportunity to continue to learn from good people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom