Who Started with a Porty

Lonewolf68

Here's a question for all those out there who have a few years in. Who started their business with a porty and and how long did you go until you made the upgrade to a TM?
And those who still use a Porty, any plans to go to a TM or is the Porty working for you?
This is not an attempt to start a porty vs tm bash, just curious about how the "successful" CC'ers may have made the transition.

Thanks,
Steve

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I bought a ten gallon EDIC box extractor with 2-2stage vacs and 100 psi pump for $1200 when I started.

Was going to "upgrade" to a MonSTeR Castex with 2- 3 stage vacs and 15 gallons till my uncle in the business said buy a used TM.

My wife took all of our savings and put it on a machine for my birthday.
I about puked when she told me!

But it was a case of her pushing me off the cliff to sink or swim.

I knew nothing about carpet cleaning when I first started.
I sought out the local supplier and began reading cleanfax.

I developed a passion for what I do.

Never worked for a carpet cleaner so I made my own bad habits!

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
My last year with a porty/OP combo only was over four years ago. I did around $112,000 that year and busted my arse. Four years later with my TM and some experience I work much less hard and gross fifty percent more. I am not bashing on anybody's portable, just encouraging you to work towards that TM. Your life will be easier and more profitable.

On a similar note, I would not wait until I had cash to buy everything outright. In every case I've seen a persons productivity gains far outweigh financing costs. I'm not encouraging you to be irresponsible, just think about the cost of capital versus the lost productivity. I wish I had not waited so long to get my TM. (even though Jimmy makes fun of my WM pos!)

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
5 years and we have 6 porty machines.

Purchased 1 TM this year and going to add another

The porty's are still used everyday.

M

Mr. P

I have two porty's and use them all the time. I have accounts where i can't get a tm close enough. so i guess there is a use for both.
Nick

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Madsen don't make fun of your POS WM , I make fun of you!

Mike Draper

had a porty for 2 months, then kicked the damn thing down the stairs and bought a TM. Wish I would have never wasted my money on a porty. My back will prolly hurt the rest of my life for buyin that POS!! That's how I feel about porty's.

Mr.V

I started with a TM ...........lost everything...........now I'm starting again with a Porty

Not totally sure how long it'll take me to buy a TM (I would love to pay cash for it)

yes it's more work setting up and tearing down but it works great and my customers don't seem to have any issues with what I'm cleaning their carpet with

I think it's more of an operator's ego thing

once I quit my day job and go back at er full force I can't see it taking more than a year to get a TM

but for the time being I'm content with the little bit of extra labor and lower operating costs.

Warren Wallace

Supportive Member
I have been cleaning for 6 years with portables they have a heater w/3 two stage vacums
however I am looking into tm so I can grow and get into hard surfaces.

SuperFly

10gal 2x2 Timbucktoo.. :oops: Then a used 405.. :D Then a US Products predator 2x2 with heat.. :oops: Then a NSS with 1 huge 3 Stage with heat.. :oops: Next was a used Chemtex Panther 20hp..LOL! :) Then a Recoil 2HP.. Then new TM.. :D :D :D :D

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I started with a dept store company using a Ninja. After 1 1/2 yrs, bought a cheyenne and went out on my own.
Worked with that for 2 1/2yrs and found I couldn't clean any more in a day, so I found a used tm and away I went.
Wish the boards would have been around then!

Raedan

9 years with a porty doing commercial. Bought my first TM this year. Power Clean Freedom XT. Breaking into residential now.

Joe

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Started with a 175 and a coke set up
Went to using a Crappy ass Velda (Chem-Dry)...you would not believe how worthless that thing was.
I would follow that with a bonnet clean as well.

Finally saw a little light and started using a Ninja.

If it wasn't for the supply store where I bought my supplies...I might have never gotten a TM.

I just saw some and practiced on a few at the CAD events and finally bought a steam genie...used as hell...used a little giant propane to heat.

Traded up for a WM
The rest is history

Wish I would have known sooner.

Name
George Valliant
6 years with porty and 175. After my 1st tm never looked back.........................................................................................................................

Greenie

Brian Robison said:
Started with a 175 and a coke set up
Went to using a Crappy ass Velda (Chem-Dry)...you would not believe how worthless that thing was.
I would follow that with a bonnet clean as well.

...Wish I would have known sooner.

I had a Chem-Dry Velda too...It was only really good for Uph, had one vac, and two pumps and two heaters if memory serves for the two sol. tanks....honestly If I were a franchisee and was MADE to buy that, I would have sued...but ya can't cause the contract is brutal..you are a nobody.

Now to get back on track, there are portys and then there are PORTYS, we have to be fair here.

Name
I'm Rick James
I had a carpet jenny porty. Bought a used HM at McDowells that Tim said was a great machine. :roll: After a new engine, heater, coupler and other repairs it is a great TM now. I hate portables. TM for life...

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Greenie,
Yea the contract is a big reason for getting out.
That velda had two tanks that were supposed to empty equally but never did.
Stupid ass setup if you ask me.

I wonder if the TMs they use now still do something like that.

They had to have two tanks with different solutions that when combined had a "violent" reaction...because of the carbonation.

Re-f'ndiculous.
Not worth it's weight in Feces.

scotty747

dont you know you can use a porty for spraying moss killer, firtilizer, and i even used mine to spray ceder roof stain.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Started out in 1976 with a Advance portable and 1970 Ford station wagon. In 1978 bought our first Hydramaster TM, the next year we bought our second TM. Have run 2 or 3 TM ever since.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i first started in 1983
certified pile brush
then a 175
then used a century to extract
what a job
then a fellow named bud oaxley call me with cleaning technolies i believe
wanted to demo a truck mount a believe in 1986
went to some trashed section 8 apts told him clean this and you sold ya a truck mount.he did and also sold a truckmount.kept 3 years great machine
and moved on to another endever
Thats my story Rd

Name
Jesse
Our first carpet cleaning experience was with a Windsor Cadet self contained, a 175 and some bonnets. We cleaned offices and buildings were we provided janitorial. We always failed to get a good appearance with the extraction. When we used Spartan bonnet cleaner and some green striped bonnets we got a great appearance but not if we extracted.

One day a 30 truck company leased an office and warehouse at a building we cleaned. They cleaned the carpet for free and used a red pad to scrub before tm extraction. That was the first time I realized there was options and the machine we were using was a joke.

I drank the coolaid and bought a new Cobra 500 from my local supplier. They convinced me it was a solid machine and a smarter buy than a truckmount. I cleaned for a short while maybe 50 jobs before I threw in the towel and bought a Tm. When we switched to the Cobra it did clean much better than the Admiral I was using before. For me the cleaning took to long and the dry times were only ok if the carpet wasn't severely soiled.

I couldn't see a way to make it profitable and provide good service with technicians using such a labor intensive system. After buying the truck I became obsessed with carpet cleaning performance, saving labor, and getting the best results we can.

Jim1

Does any one remember the old Dominator Portables with the Bubble on Top..

That and a 175, Choppin high cotton back then

Jim McDannel

Lonny

Supportive Member
Ooohh me me! Yeah way back when, er still. I like it, but am getting a TM hopefully by next summer. Custom EDIC Galaxy pro with an extra 3 stage thrown on it.

Started with a TM and Porty (for hi rises)..I coudnt imagine doing residential with a porty...Thats worse than bringing a rag and floor machine in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom