Who's tried an Electric truckmount?

John Watson

Tried my first one in 84.....

Welcome to the real world, BaneClene and WorkMaster been around since the 70's with their Electric TM units Judson had their Hybrid (Elec and/or Gas) Butler even has an electric model for inplant use.

Nordic 1 is a new commer to field, cept his idears are a bit more refined and seem to work a little more better in the real world than the others, Don't know noone but him thats got one..

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
so..what do you guys do when you get to a empty home and all the water and electric is shut off .........?

John Watson

I just crank ups my JEM and use my on board 120 gal water supply.

BTW, I get about 1 per year with no water or electric, Most of the time the water source is a pain so we have gotten in the habbit of "If their hose or hook up is handy, fill the flippen tank"

G

Some of us are even using Porties like Recoil XPS as electric truck mounts. I use electric everything except in restaurants; then I switch to a propane heater. One day it maybe possible for me get a Nordic1; man that thing looks awesome.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I had a workmaster 300xe, 2L blower/hugh 3stage vac in parralell, 3ht propane heater, 2 10 guage cords(100ft & 75ft). Worked fine up to 150ft with my 12" Aw29 wand W/no whip hose. BAD for apt complexes, good for owner occupied houses. ran the machine out the back doors, coiled the cords up like a snake with one on each side of the machine. They peeled off reel good and coiled up easily. The vacuum was equal to a 33 blower and had great heat. My first truckmount and it was cool at the time. I have not seen odins but I believe his would work just fine. :)

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
The electric truckmount of yesteryear has been replaced by more efficient designs and smaller footprints.

Our BEAST electric truckmount has proven itself over the past 7 years, to be extremely reliable and powerful. With the extreme LP heat, and now our wand popping 600 PSI pressure pump, it operates on a single 15 amp power cord. Or, choose the 1200 PSI pump, but I've found you don't need 1200 PSI to clean carpet, or upholstery, or even tile and grout.

With super high heat and grount line agitation, the 600 PSI works great for tile and grout, as the increased heat expands on the hot pressure side of the system, producing a lot more pressure at the wand than the pump is actually producing.

Greenie

Bobarooni, is that 600 before keying the wand or after...what i might call dynamic pressure?

Are you using the 1/2hp motor to power that pumphead?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
We had a Workmaster in those days. I liked it; my only complaint was the inadequacy of the vacuum.

If I had one of Terje Brevik's vacuum boosters, I'd have liked the unit a great deal more I'm sure.

Even with the recent fall of gas prices, I see a growing need for these types of units in the near future.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Greenie,

It uses a 3 amp motor. It is 600 before keying, but with the superheaterd water going on, the wand trigger snaps quite well when cleaning.

Hope you are having a good Holiday!

Bob Savage said:
Greenie,

It uses a 3 amp motor. It is 600 before keying, but with the superheaterd water going on, the wand trigger snaps quite well when cleaning.

Hope you are having a good Holiday!

So does it pop to 200 when keying?...That what ours do...Thank goodnes there coming ou with better ones..I been told..

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
It goes to 475 PSI when the wand is keyed, which is a little more than we usually clean carpet when using our 1200 PSI setup.

We are using a wand with a total of a #6 jet (2 -9503's).

But with the super-heat, we get that snap at the wand.

I've found that cleaning carpet with over 500 PSI can furrow the carpet while cleaning (not Berbers of course).

G

I really like the idea of the electric truckmount and I have some questions.

1. What kind of routine maintenance is needed every X hours?
2. From current customer experience, what is the expected lifespan of this mount with regular service?
3. My typical average jobs run about 150ft of hose or less, would I need a vac booster? With this same average distance, does the temperature maintain at 230?
4. Any chance we can see this in action at the Mytee Fest? Or any local customers live near San Diego who wants to show their equipment off at the Fest?

Thank you,
Eric

Bob Savage said:
It goes to 475 PSI when the wand is keyed, which is a little more than we usually clean carpet when using our 1200 PSI setup.

We are using a wand with a total of a #6 jet (2 -9503's).

But with the super-heat, we get that snap at the wand.

I've found that cleaning carpet with over 500 PSI can furrow the carpet while cleaning (not Berbers of course).

so Im furrrowing carpet at 650?...havent heard that one or experinced it just much better cleaning.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
C Pennington said:

so Im furrrowing carpet at 650?...havent heard that one or experinced it just much better cleaning.

Curtis - On cut pile cleaning, you haven't noticed the fibers parting when the wand is keyed at 650 PSI? I sure have, but only when you first pull the wand trigger. Maybe they use tougher carpet in Florida???

I'll bet your wand is a very high flow wand, maybe a 5 jet. If so, that explains the huge pressure drop (increased flow) you are experiencing, and also explains "not furrowing". The impact of multi-jetted wands is spread out over a larger distance. Also, if you're heat isn't over 220Âş, you won't get that high pressure expansion on the hot side of your system.

ErictheRed said:

1. What kind of routine maintenance is needed every X hours?
2. From current customer experience, what is the expected lifespan of this mount with regular service?
3. My typical average jobs run about 150ft of hose or less, would I need a vac booster? With this same average distance, does the temperature maintain at 230?
4. Any chance we can see this in action at the Mytee Fest? Or any local customers live near San Diego who wants to show their equipment off at the Fest?

1. The maintenance on our electric truckmounts is about nill - including no grease jobs, no oil changes/checking, engine maintenence/replacement, no battery, and no expensive proprietary parts. In fact, the parts are available to all at cost - no markups! You can even go several weeks without having to clean out the recovery tank. That includes not having to touch the APO filter inside the tank either during these several weeks. Of course, I recommend cleaning the tank out more often, but during testing we pushed this envelope to see how well the vacuum tank and APO would perform. The intake to the vacuum blower uses dual 2" filters so it won't require much attention either, but if you notice the vacuum is down a bit, it is almost always the filters need cleaning (vacuum ports and internal piping is available in 2" or 2.5" hose configurations).

2. It's like that old Timex watch commercial - Out electric truckmount takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The vacuum motor(s) will easily last 600-800 hours, with a cost just over $150 for a replacement. The APO should last forever, with impeller replacement ($35) maybe every 2 years (a 10 minute job only requiring a screwdriver).

3. We have different vacuum configurations that we use. The single large vacuum motor will operate fine at 120' or less with very good vacuum. Over that distance, we use the booster at the van for up to 250'. Over that, the vacuum tank sits in a base, and lifts out in seconds (tank is 10" X 12" X 36" and weighs 41 lbs., and is easily moved forward to any point with the remaing equipment staying in the van). The truckmount is also very quiet when running. The heat is NEVER an issue at any cleaning distance, with our custom designed 220,000 BTU -LP electronic heater with no pilot light to mess with (it's automatic). Our heater is extremely reliable. Our own personal heater for our CC biz has over 3000 hours on it, and has never had any of the electronics replacecd in that time, nor has it needed to have the jets cleaned out in 7 years of operation (still as hot as when it was new, and never has been turned up all the way, even in Ohio winters). It will easily supply 240Âş to 2 wands if necessary, and can supply 280Âş to a single wand (we have a dual wand setup that uses this heater so we tested the dual wand heat capability too).

The BEST news is this truckmount now only requires a single 15 amp circuit to operate. No tangled extension cords to fuss with, or separate circuits to locate!!!

I have several electric truckmounts in Cali., and those owners have attended the MikeFest in the past.

G

Bob Savage said:
C Pennington said:

Curtis - On cut pile cleaning, you haven't noticed the fibers parting when the wand is keyed at 650 PSI? I sure have, but only when you first pull the wand trigger. Maybe they use tougher carpet in Florida???

I'll bet your wand is a very high flow wand, maybe a 5 jet. If so, that explains the huge pressure drop (increased flow) you are experiencing, and also explains "not furrowing". The impact of multi-jetted wands is spread out over a larger distance. Also, if you're heat isn't over 220Âş, you won't get that high pressure expansion on the hot side of your system.

ErictheRed said:

[quote:27997dbc]1. What kind of routine maintenance is needed every X hours?

1. The maintenance on our electric truckmounts is about nill - including no grease jobs, no oil changes/checking, engine maintenence/replacement, no battery, and no expensive proprietary parts. In fact, the parts are available to all at cost - no markups! You can even go several weeks without having to clean out the recovery tank. That includes not having to touch the APO filter inside the tank either during these several weeks. Of course, I recommend cleaning the tank out more often, but during testing we pushed this envelope to see how well the vacuum tank and APO would perform. The intake to the vacuum blower uses dual 2" filters so it won't require much attention either, but if you notice the vacuum is down a bit, it is almost always the filters need cleaning (vacuum ports and internal piping is available in 2" or 2.5" hose configurations).

2. It's like that old Timex watch commercial - Out electric truckmount takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The vacuum motor(s) will easily last 600-800 hours, with a cost just over $150 for a replacement. The APO should last forever, with impeller replacement ($35) maybe every 2 years (a 10 minute job only requiring a screwdriver).

3. We have different vacuum configurations that we use. The single large vacuum motor will operate fine at 120' or less with very good vacuum. Over that distance, we use the booster at the van for up to 250'. Over that, the vacuum tank sits in a base, and lifts out in seconds (tank is 10" X 12" X 36" and weighs 41 lbs., and is easily moved forward to any point with the remaing equipment staying in the van). The truckmount is also very quiet when running. The heat is NEVER an issue at any cleaning distance, with our custom designed 220,000 BTU -LP electronic heater with no pilot light to mess with (it's automatic). Our heater is extremely reliable. Our own personal heater for our CC biz has over 3000 hours on it, and has never had any of the electronics replacecd in that time, nor has it needed to have the jets cleaned out in 7 years of operation (still as hot as when it was new, and never has been turned up all the way, even in Ohio winters). It will easily supply 240Âş to 2 wands if necessary, and can supply 280Âş to a single wand (we have a dual wand setup that uses this heater so we tested the dual wand heat capability too).

The BEST news is this truckmount now only requires a single 15 amp circuit to operate. No tangled extension cords to fuss with, or separate circuits to locate!!!

I have several electric truckmounts in Cali., and those owners have attended the MikeFest in the past.[/quote:27997dbc]

Wow! Pretty Impressive! With those kinds of spec's what's holding everyone back? I would love to see one demo'd. Thanks for the info.

Eric

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Bob, in my last few years i have found i would rather have the highflow over the other...

So can you do a pump that is adjustable up to 1000 psi and still keep in the power requirements??

running a 15 flow at 600-700 psi is freakin awesome, i couldnt imagien going back to a lower psi with jets angled into the fiber (this is where your distortion comes from)...give me a high flush ability and angled jets and i am happy as pig in slop...

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Doug,

A high flow wand is no problem when using our adjustable 1200 PSI pump. I carry both the 600 PSI and the 1200 PSI unit in my van. Here they are:

356injector2.jpg

1200 PSI system:
It comes complete with a very reliable chemical injection system, and thermal overload valve, and can operate from direct faucet pressure, or will draw from a fresh water tank, or will even draw from a 5 gallon bucket! This pump does require a separate 10 amps to run in addition to the rest of the truckmount, so the entire truckmount would need 2 cords when using the 1200 PSI unit.

PumpTec%206b.jpg

600 PSI system:
It also comes complete with a very reliable chemical injection system, and thermal overload valve, and can operate from direct faucet pressure, or will draw from a fresh water tank, or will even draw from a 5 gallon bucket! This pump and the rest of the truckmount will all run on only 1 -15 amp circuit cord.

In addition, this system is the most versatile truckmount a cleaner could want, as it also will come out of the van in 10 minutes, and go inside for high rises, lock-in jobs, etc. No need to use a portable so you can still enjoy the high production cleaning you are used to on the high rise jobs. No need to turn work down, because no matter the job, you'll still have your truckmount power and high production, regardless of distance from your van to the job.

When taking the unit inside, I use a specially designed electric inline heater, and feed the pump with hot water to begin with. You can still get "popping-steam heat" with the inside setup.

No one else makes such a versatile, powerful, reliable, and easily moved unit. Even a portable is bulky and not easy to manuever from the van to inside, where this unit will all fit onto a specially designed 2 wheel dolly and easily roll inside, including the wand and all necessary hoses and cords - all in one trip! All loaded up, this setup will NOT cause any real effort to move because the system is well balanced on the 2 Wheel, so no heavy lifting or manuevering.

G

Terje that looks awesome; Very impressive. I like simplicity in a system; I guess thats why I have a Recoil. I like the idea that so far only maintenance has been filter cleaning and pump motor bearing replacement. And thus far I can honestly say I have way more than 1200 hours on my system alone; Gas burners maintenance and breaks almost $4700 since last April when I got Recoil; Recoil $0; bearing failure was warranty covered.

Not fimiliar too much with Savage unit; sounds pretty nice; But kinda concerned with motor replacement so often. But the specs sound outstanding from what I have read and heard so far.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Re: Who's tried an Electric truckmount? (Terry)

Hey Terry,

You are running 220V to your truckmount. Right? Thanks to Les Jones.

Of course it would run on 2 cords.

Ours also runs on 2 cords when using the 1200 PSI pump, but not 220V - 110V.

So, what is the "enough is enough" comment?

Aren't you the one who called me, and picked my brain on the phone for over an hour a few years ago about how to make vacuum boosters, and told me that you were only wanting to help out Bane owners, that you had no plans to ever market them or a CC machine?

steve g

Name
steve garrett
having to use a fuel for heating the water on an electric TM. I don't see an advantage over a plain ole HX truckmount, I think its also more impressive for the customer to hear a fossil fueled engine doing serious grunt work. I also don't depend on electricity, from what I have seen the costs for an electric unit aren't that much cheaper than a regular TM

Name
Bill Soukoreff
I love my Savage TM. I choose it for different reasons than most as I do power it all with a 18 hp Vanguard. I do not depend on a distributor. I like that I can stock all replacement parts for a few bucks and repair anything on the fly in minutes with simple hand tools. Taking modules off the truck to work on them is a nice feature. One guy can do a complete install on his own with no help needed. I am very independent and like that feature.

The heart of the Savage is the heater. Insane heat, super reliable, and a real miser on propane. Once you use a fully automatic flow fired heater you are spoiled and it would be hard go back to a little giant. I was worried at first about the steel coil, but now it is my first choice. I have never had a problem and don't ever have to run water through it. I like knowing the steel coil will outlast every other part of my van and is way more tolerant to cold temps. Plus, you get a very nice belly tank and quality 2-stage regulator for a safe and professional install. Did I mention the insane heat?

It is been debated a lot, but I am firm believer that with electric vac motors, small waste tanks work way better. There is virtually no rise time with Bob's design. I did some testing with larger tanks some time ago, and Bob's design rocks. The APO is as reliable as you can get. Bob has never heard of a motor going bad on one yet. I agree with what he said, just a new impeller every few years for $38. I currently use very little filtration and so every couple of months I need clean hair off the impeller, but I will start using a modified pool filter soon to avoid or extend the time between that task.

Electronics, 4 years and no problems. Plus, everything would be easy to get local. Basic stuff to create a 24 volt closed loop.

Rickie, Bob's statement on the vac motors is conservative. They are made by ametek the same company who make the ones in your Recoil, just way more powerful. I have one that is 4 years old and still working. It has way over 1000 hours on it. But with electric vacs, you never know what your going to get. The good thing is they are cheap to stock an extra one on hand.

As far as electric pumps, I think pump-tec needs to come up with a better design for extended reliability between rebuilds. They are great for low amp situations, but since I don't have that need right now, I going over to a general pump. I really want to find a pump that can go 1000 hours before rebuilds. Then I will have it made.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
ODIN said:
total green machine

use wind turbine on top of the van to power the unit and solar generator to heat the water ( think it's called the sun)

In that case, you may be able to sell some machines to Californian hippies.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Bill Soukoreff said:
I love my Savage TM. I choose it for different reasons than most as I do power it all with a 18 hp Vanguard.

????????????

help me out with that one, Bill

why an 18HP GAS motor for a 'lectromount?

is that 18HP driving a generator?

an 18HP motor will drive a pump and positive displacement blower.

what am I missing?

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
John LaBarbera said:
a 18 hp engine will drive about a 10,000 watt generator.

I'm hip to that, John, Thanks

My thoughts are, "if" Bill is burning the fuel to run an 18HP genset, the luster of a lectromount is lost on me...
(Given the space, weight and fuel used to run an 18HP genset)

seems it would be more practical/efficient to utilize that same 18hp motor to drive a pump and positive displacement blower instead.
It would save valuable van floor space and get better performance from a PD blower compared to electric vacs and use no more fuel

what am I missing???

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom