Why arnt you a multi trucker?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
For me it was all about family drama. Deaths...............daughter getting pregnant right out of high school etc.
I started out on fire ready to conquer the world.....then life hit. I had no time to be at home , be the husband. the father.
Burning the candle at both ends made me realize that the struggle to succeed was just not worth it.
When my mother died back in 98 I realized I was becoming a workaholic like my father. Something had to change or I would have too many regrets on my deathbed. I then began to live life and let things take care of themselves.

And now I have no room in my garage for another van : )

Able 1

Name
Keith
I only have two trucks,but we eat up same day, or next day, I need it done now cleanings.. I have a part time guy and full-time guy...

I would say finding good help is the only thing holding me back.. I would add another van tomorrow if I found a great employee..

Reactions: TomKing

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
For me it was all about family drama. Deaths...............daughter getting pregnant right out of high school etc.
I started out on fire ready to conquer the world.....then life hit. I had no time to be at home , be the husband. the father.
Burning the candle at both ends made me realize that the struggle to succeed was just not worth it.
When my mother died back in 98 I realized I was becoming a workaholic like my father. Something had to change or I would have too many regrets on my deathbed. I then began to live life and let things take care of themselves.

And now I have no room in my garage for another van : )

Definitely have to agree with you there.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Marty.........just when you least expect it.............I will travel overnight.................to that HELLHOLE state you live in.
Then I will wait days in the local motel 6 for the right...................moment. You'll never see it coming...............waiting for you to go to your.......outhouse. In the woods I'll hide..................then quickly when you go in...............I will scamper and run a rope all around it. And as you make your animal like sounds..........I will set it on................FIRE!

HAhAhahahAhaha!

RICkY DO YOU HEAR THAT YOU INTERNET SCAMPOO GAWD!?

Reactions: SamIam and hogjowl
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
and the rooms Mike are usually the front if folks really make use of their front door, or the hall that leads from the garage to like an active living area.

Name
Danny Strickland
Marty.........just when you least expect it.............I will travel overnight.................to that HELLHOLE state you live in.
Then I will wait days in the local motel 6 for the right...................moment. You'll never see it coming...............waiting for you to go to your.......outhouse. In the woods I'll hide..................then quickly when you go in...............I will scamper and run a rope all around it. And as you make your animal like sounds..........I will set it on................FIRE!

HAhAhahahAhaha!

RICkY DO YOU HEAR THAT YOU INTERNET SCAMPOO GAWD!?

CLASSIC !!!

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Money stops me from growing. Since I am our only income, by the time I pay taxes and insurance and dog food I am broke. I am able to pay myself a decent salary but can't imagine trying to pay an employee and a van and truckmount payment. After crunching the numbers it would take a whole lot of vans to make it worthwhile.

And I prefer the simple life. So for now I will turn down many jobs in June July and August and enjoy a low stress lifestyle with low overhead and very little worry.

Reactions: Russ T.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
For twenty years I ran two Butlers, kind of the 1990 version of Mark Saiger. We always work hard to exceed customer expectations. Got tired of the full time employees who never got paid enough to keep up THEIR chosen life style. After our 3 children graduated from college I sold all the restoration equipment and told 35 restaurants to get someone else. I have 5 part time employees and very little stress. Life is good.

Last edited:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We've been deliberate in NOT getting too big while the kids were young and needed me to be more available, but were also fortunate to keep growing and build a very strong client base from referral marketing. But NOW, we are actively working on it! Have two trucks, but only running one full time at this point. We will have them both on the road in the next few months to cover everyone that wants in for the holiday season.

Now that both kids are in school full time, I can better do the things I need to take the business to the next level. First thing is getting the business out of the house. Talked with a few folks about this when I was in Little Rock last week. General consensus seems to be that employees, won't take the business as seriously as if we were off site and not working out of our dining room. It's been a good run...love having the low overhead, but it's time to get things out of the house!

I am going with the "If you build it, they will come" philosophy from field of dreams. Time to "build" our ideal location off site. Get some office/admin/CSR help and really ramp up the growth we've been having.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Honestly would like to add about $150-200k a year in encap work.

That would be perfect!

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
For twenty years I ran two Butlers, kind of the 1990 version of Mark Saiger. We always work hard to exceed customer expectations. Got tired of the full time employees who never got paid enough to keep up THEIR chosen life style. After our 3 children graduated from college I sold all the restoration equipment and told 35 restaurants to get someone else. I have 5 part time employees and very little stress. Life is good.

This right here is the way to go.

Under promise while over delivering. Be absolutely sure you are delivering the best service while commanding a good price. Build your client list and let the biz work for you, instead of you always working and killing yourself for the biz.

It is not about what you make it is about what you keep and what you are having to go through to keep what you are keeping, if that makes sense.

It is a privilege and an honor to be able to be self employed while providing employee and subcontractors work in order to provide for their families. Most guys find it a burden and it shouldn't be.

I very much enjoy when my people get new vehicles or they are buying their first home. It gives me a sense of accomplishment outside of my family circle.

I am not saying it is easy or simple, but I am saying that it should be both, financially and emotionally rewarding.

Almost nothing great and good comes easy, but that doesn't mean take it to the extreme and try killing yourself to get a good thing going.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Under promise while over delivering.
Mister Dealtime that sounds like a lot of damn work.

Whutt if you over promise and under deliver. :shifty:

I think in a big market you could go for years before they figure out what a slime ball you are. I'm thinking Mexico would be a nice place to land after that. too bad I don't speak Spanish.

Guess I'll have to find me a fine senorita that is bilingual. ;)

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
This right here is the way to go.

Under promise while over delivering. Be absolutely sure you are delivering the best service while commanding a good price. Build your client list and let the biz work for you, instead of you always working and killing yourself for the biz.

It is not about what you make it is about what you keep and what you are having to go through to keep what you are keeping, if that makes sense.

It is a privilege and an honor to be able to be self employed while providing employee and subcontractors work in order to provide for their families. Most guys find it a burden and it shouldn't be.

I very much enjoy when my people get new vehicles or they are buying their first home. It gives me a sense of accomplishment outside of my family circle.

I am not saying it is easy or simple, but I am saying that it should be both, financially and emotionally rewarding.

Almost nothing great and good comes easy, but that doesn't mean take it to the extreme and try killing yourself to get a good thing going.
I'm glad Lockhart's back!

ted mcfadden

Supportive Member
Name
Ted McFadden
I run a stone restoration firm in California.

I have four trucks in my Orange County Office and looking to get our second in San Jose. I work a lot of hours but still have time to spend with the family, do a little coaching for my kids, and help run a distribution company, Easy Stone Care. Cameron and I teach our stone restoration classes out of my office in Orange County. I haven't had a lot of vacations in the last few years, but it has been rewarding.

I still have issues with prioritizing tasks and conserving my only resource: time. I can get bogged down in minutia. The key I believe to building a business of any kind is writing down goals as if they have already been achieved. One truck, two trucks, ten trucks, goals must be achieved. If they are not written down and defined we can not know when they have been met and it's time to create a new goal.

If a boat leaves the port of Los Angeles bound for Honolulu and starts just one degree off in their heading, they will miss their destination by hundreds of miles. The navigator must constantly correct course to reach the destination. As we navigate our business we must know where we are going or we will end up off course or worse...

My business model is different and my clientele is different than carpet cleaning but the organization is similar. Though we have two truck mounts at the moment, I have never in my life cleaned a stitch of carpet or VCT. My focus from the start has been natural stone, then tile, then concrete, glass, etc...

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I dont want to be responsible for someone elses livelihood. Id stress to much.
Thats why You hire young guys put them on call tell them the nature of the business, Your part time, I'll let you know your schedule the night before. Theres alot of young men looking for thier first job and greatful to get it.

Then theres alot of young guys who find out its work and make excuses why they can't.

Obviusly building and developing your business and these employees is the key. my young guys get lots of tips and work hard.

One lady gave them both a $100 each. I was like what did you guys clean for free? had to fire my son!

Just kidding.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Perfect would be grout sealing!:rockon:

Even easier! Multi sprayer and a mop...

We do !!!
Those are great jobs.

The challenge is you need to be getting referrals from either installers or the retailers.

You definitely can run marketing campaigns for that service. Just remember relationship building takes time.

ted mcfadden

Supportive Member
Name
Ted McFadden
What are you doing in San Jose Ted?
That's a hefty commute..

I have a guy up there that is growing it. He has experience. He ran my San Diego office before his father had a stroke and had to move. He rehabbed his dad up there and called me a few years ago. We moved slowly but this year we expect to pick up a lot of steam.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom