Why Choose a Water Cooled Engine

Farenheit251

Alot of manufacturers going to water cooled motors to drive mid to large size blowers. What are the advantages over using say a Kohler 38 hp air cooled?

Scott Rogers

Advantages:

Longer engine life

additional heat source to add a extra heat exchanger too.

Cons:

Cost more

additional components add to cost and maintenance's

weight more

cleanex

Mostly life of engine, however, it is interesting that our water cooled engine uses less gas than our air cooled units. Water is a bit hotter with our water cooled units. Air cooled engines run at full speed while water cooled engines have plenty of spare power.

R

R W

I'd say that the water cooled engines, as in auto engines, are built to closer tolerances because of the ability to maintain and control consistent heat. That makes them more reliable and last longer, without the need to rebuild.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
BrianE;

The advantage used to be with water-cooled engines because of more even temperatures.

Computer-Aided-Design has enabled new air-cooled designs to become more reliable.

One disadvantage of water-cooling is slightly lower exhaust temp.

Exhaust from the engine is where most of the heat energy is obtained from slide-in TM engines. It has a higher temp differential which increases the transfer to the HX.

We like the substantial torque output of the 34-38HP Kohler engines. The longer interval between engine maintenance is also a plus.

Larry Cobb

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
I spoke with my Kohler rep about this very thing. In particular, I asked about noise (which is supposedly lower with a water- cooled) and longevity. He chuckled about both.

He said that they may be a bit quieter, but not so much that you can tell it without instruments to measure the difference.

And regarding longevity, he said that they don't last longer than air- cooled.

You have to keep in mind that the kind of HWE heating technology driving the carpet care market right now, depends upon system components for heat. And the larger the component, the more BTU's available for heat transfer. THAT's what's behind larger blowers and larger motors... not longevity.

Longevity is something that's engineered- in. If a motor is used that has more power than needed, then it can, "coast" (i.e., run at lower RPM), so to speak. And in being able to coast, it will last longer.

lance

I've talked to three TM builders and they all agree that an air-cooled engine will last as long. They also agree that you have to run them up to their max. rpm's where they cool the best (3400-3600).

A water-cooled does not have to be run at it's max. rpm so there is more flexibility for throttle control and some make their max. torque lower also. Well matched system will be able to run at a lower engine rpm making less noise. Lower max. torque rpm gives you more upper hp room for when you what to have higher Hg. and less engine lag for a kunkle/bayco valve.

A 28 hp water-cooled kohler, 45 blower, kunkle set at 18" of Hg. will give you a lot more flexibility for everyday CC'ing than most mass produced TM's will. Quiet and powerful which specs out to a single wand V/AT.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom