Why Sapphire Scientific?

Discussion in 'Hard Surface Hub' started by Lee Stockwell, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    Given the wide range of established labels, and the current distress in the TM market, why did Legend Brands decide to debut a new label? Especially given that they owned a couple of the better known labels in the industry?

What they "didn't do" sends a message too....

Thanks,
    Lee
  2. Farenheit251
    Farenheit251

Bad economy or not,I still think there is an opportunity for a new player to dominate the industry by providing a well priced machine,simple and reliable in a 45/47 blower size. It won't be through interlink as that would negate the well priced part. Most builders seem to build one to three TMs at a time. If someone was was willing to invest $2-300,000 to build 50 TMs in a Henry Ford style assembly line negotiating prices based on the purchase of 50 engines/blowers/frames at a time, then price to move volume I think they could blow the competition away.
  3. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    Why go both directions?...buying established brands and then going through the pain of starting a new identity at the same time.

One or the other, but not both.
  4. Jeff Madsen
    Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member

Name:
    Jeff Madsen
    O.K. Lee,

I give up. What the hell are you hinting at? I, along with thousands of anonymous lurkers, read your posts, realize you're trying to tell us something - but we're too sloooooow to get it! Out with it man!
  5. rick imby
    rick imby

Name:
    Rick
    The big car companies went through this years ago and lost their money. Buying Volvo, kia, Jaguar, etc and then divesting them after dumping a lot of money into them.

This strategy does not make sense to me either but let us hear what you think Lee.

Rick
  6. Erik
    Erik

Supportive Member

Name:
    Erik
    Until then, we will all pay more. Ten years ago, there were three main players in the truck mount biz- Steamway, Prochem, & Butler. Now, you don't have enough fingers & toes to count the number of truck mount manufacturers out there. Comparing this to Henry Ford or the big three, mass production could happen to lower prices. This will never happen, as you will see more and more home made machines made by owner/operators that will kick ass and he/she, the builder, will know everything about the unit. Hopefully, with the purchase of Blueline and Vortex, Sapphire Scientific will be able to build enough units to keep the cost down. With all you big shot carpet cleaners, making .50-.60 Sq/Ft, what's the big deal on the price of the unit??? You are surely making more money than the manufacture. It's the distributor you need to watch out for. If everyone could buy directly from the manufacturer, we would all be singing a different tune.
    Matt Wood likes this.
  7. Duane Oxley
    Duane Oxley

Name:
    Duane Oxley
    Simple answer:

In the process of buying Blue Line, they acquired Blue Line's distributors.

Having national / international distribution essentially with the stroke of a pen is a huge value by itself.

The distributor market was already "full", with Prochem, Blue line, Hydramaster and White Magic. Getting another brand in to compete with them would be an uphill battle... unless replacing one of them was possible to do quickly and cleanly. And with enough money, it was possible.

My guess is that the original backer of Blue Line, the engine distributor who had so much to lose, in terms of engine sales when Prochem left his sales territory, didn't anticipate that the business would be so much of a distraction for him, and he soon began seeking a way out.

Enter Sapphire Scientific...
  8. Jack May
    Jack May

That Kiwi

Name:
    John
    Far easier to start a new business/equipment model for a new brand than change an old brand and fight current perceptions of it's business and equipment.

John
    Stevie Bs likes this.
  9. everfresh1
    everfresh1

Name:
    Jamie Cohen
    Wrong, Hydramaster is a fourth :mrgreen:
    Cleanworks likes this.
  10. Erik
    Erik

Supportive Member

Name:
    Erik
    Correct slip of the mind, and a few others . You have the point.
  11. Erik
    Erik

Supportive Member

Name:
    Erik
    HE HA
  12. sweendogg
    sweendogg

Name:
    David Sweeney
    Hey.. Shaggy... Thats my Line!!

k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG5Y3DR_F1kk]
  13. steve g
    steve g

Name:
    steve garrett
    this is just me thinking out loud and just that. I think what happened is they planned on the sapphire TM's and using the connection to drieaz to help them get some attention. I think the deal with blueline somewhat fell into their laps. I think it was an opportunity that presented itself, probably because of the economy. likely it was not the original plan to have 2 separate TM brands. I also feel like they want to get rid of vortex, I don't think they have long term interest in promoting the machines, hence the reason we see yorkie on this board way more and running some PR. it will be interesting to see what the future holds.
  14. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Rock Chalk

Name:
    Rico
    I assumed it was a opportunity to start with a clean slate.

Not just come out with a new addition to the line, but an actual new line with new designs.
    Stevie Bs likes this.
  15. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    Flash in the pan.
  16. Jim Pemberton
    Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.

The reason is very simple, and obvious if you think about it objectively for a bit.

But its up to Mr Bruders to answer that question, not me.

I will say, with no relation to this post, that last year through the next will be looked back upon as a time ofmajor changes in our industry. It reminds me very much of the late 70's and early 80's.

Not only was there massive changes in the manufacturing/distributing side of our industry, but it was also a time of change from the model of who cleaned carpet in the 70's to those who cleaned it by the time we reached the late 80's.

Few realize it when they are in the middle of a "upheaval/revolution", but we all are in the middle of one right now.
    Lee Stockwell likes this.
  17. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    I agree with Jim. My generation came in the mid to late 80's. We brought in a better educated, more socially acceptable element to the industry.

Then, Mikey's Board came about and brought the industry back down to the butt-crack generation of hell raisers again.
    Stevie Bs likes this.
  18. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Rock Chalk

Name:
    Rico
    Always glad to do my part! :wink:
  19. harryhides
    harryhides

Name:
    Tony
    Good grief !

In the seventies we switched from shampoo to Portys and in the late eighties we switched to truck-mounts and now in the 21st century we are talking to each other and using lots of tools instead of just one. Unfortunately the industry still has too many tools.
  20. cu
    cu

Supportive Member

Name:
    Cu
    was that another swip at me by marty