Why was my Cat purring?

Mikey P

Administrator
Today and once or twice in the past my Cat5cp was buzzing/vibrating like mad when I turned on the machine.
All the plumbing coming out of the pump that leads to the regulator then HXs was going wild. Plenty of water in the fresh tank. Raising the rpms and turning off and on the pump didn't help.

It went away eventually as we started wanding but it got me concerned.

Any guesses?

Bob Foster

"Today and once or twice in the past my Cat5cp was buzzing/vibrating like mad when I turned on the machine. "

It needs an exorcism.
adaff62a.jpg

Or may be a little air got in through a breather.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
It is quite possibly about an hour's run time from becoming a grenade. Look for water in the oil, or external oil or water leaks. The CPs are famous for blowing oil seals every thousand hours or less.

prime

your pump was out of prime, it got air in it somehow, you may say how do I know this, well I will tell you , it stop doing it, the pump went back in to prime .

I think it's time to put a seal kit in it.

Michael Ellis

Name
Michael Ellis
Mike did you recently top off the level? I realized the slightest overfill will cause pulsation but I suspect you know that. I drew out a little oil and it was all purr after that.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Look into this thing

I thought the plumbing was going to walk out of the truck

Ordered one of these and I could not believe the weight difference.......
the newer one was much lighter..
I put it on and I have not had a problem since..........

If I am not mistaken this is a vibrating/pulsating damper

101_3217.jpg

A. wilson

I agree with the replies so far. My take would initially be,

1)Air in the lines, bleed the air out.

2)I had vibration like that in the past with a Hypro pump. Changed the seals and it was good as new.

3)The dampener is a good idea.

4) Last probability as noted already, the pistons/seals are about ready to blow. Buy a new pump, they never seem to be the same when they get to that stage. Even if it's good, it never hurts to have a spare pump on hand to avoid any down time if/when one goes belly-up.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
ya know that thing was not put on there just because they had a open hole and they needed something to fill it with..........

you are probably looking at a rebuild and put the vibrating damper back on.....

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Wait until you go on vacation and let your helper fix it.

Mikey P

Administrator
It's been running w/o the dampener for two years or more with 0 issues.

I changed the oil today and no water to been found. No leaks elsewhere.

Ran puuurfect all day today.

It just needed to fart I guess.

If it blows when I'm in Florida next week I'll call Chuck to bail me out.

G

Mike,

Check your plumbing coming out of the pump. The pump may be starving but you may not notice it at the wand.

Dave

R

R W

Almost daily, my Cat pump starts at 0 psi, after I flip the clutch switch on. I usually pull out a short hose and open up the valve for a few seconds to establish flow. There is no pulsation damper on the Genny. I think it just loses it's prime sitting over nite, and the solution flows back into the solution tank.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I think ours has the damper because it has a threw and threw shaft........one side runs the clutch and the other is attached to a coupling for the therm pump

plus the chem pump is mounted (like most) directly one

G

No Tofu to be found in Atlanta.

3 hours just enough time to run from one side to other side.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think you may have killed it, or at least contributed to it's death! (

With out a dampener or accumulator you're putting extra stress on the pumping system. Put in a new seal kit and put the dampener back on.
Have the nitrogen charged first, I think it's to be charged to half the PSI of your operating pressure. :

Your Pump:

Mikey,

I noticed in previous post, That you took your pulsation dampener and your chemical injection off of your pump.
Are you fresh water rinsing only?
Also hypro makes a very good pulsation dampener that we have been using for a long time. It is a bladder type that's nitrogen filled.
A piston pump, actually pumps with pulses, this is not noticeable because the pump is running so fast. But the pulses will cause the pressure regulator from opening and closing smoothly. The regulator will actually have excess internal friction from the pulsing, it also puts un-necessary pulsing in the heat exchanger and it can cause the pressure hose to vibrate laying on the ground and also the pressure gauge needle to shake.

Les

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"I noticed in previous post, That you took your pulsation dampener and your chemical injection off of your pump. "

"Are you fresh water rinsing only? "

of coarse.
He had a Bulter before and now a V.
so he's used to POS chem pumps not working right

Most of the guys who tout clean water rinse, do so cause they can't get reliable chem feed with those fussy, temperamental POS chem pumps

..L.T.A.

chem pump

meAT
I've worked on a lot of truck mounts in the past with those injection pumps, but I never knew how reliable they really were. We have never used those pumps on our truck mounts. What we do is we have a mixed tank, that you can see on top of our TNT in the photos.
I add this tank to a lot of truck mounts that do not have chemical injection systems. The mixed tank allows us to draw chemical without an injection head. It does a couple of other good things too. By bypassing the regulator back into this tank it constantly keeps the pump primed. It also puts an air gap between the chemical injection system and the city water supply, this prevents backflow.
Also, I think that a pressure side Dema injector might work, now that you guys have high flow jetting on your wands. I will just have to play around with this and see if it will work.

I was driving down the road the other day, and I was passing a Ford dealership and what did I see, a beautiful new LCF sitting there cab and chassis only. So I slammed on the brakes, spun the car in a circle, just missed running over three people crossing the road. I went to the dealership to take a closer look. This truck is absolutely beautiful. I had a W-4 as a vacuum system demo truck for about five years. Compared to this LCF truck it's a lot more of a vehicle. It has af V6, turbocharged engine. It was an automatic transmission that had a plate on the side of the transmission that you could remove and add a PTO to it. It also had larger diameter tires.
Supreme bodies is in Atlanta, just an hour and a half away from me. I have purchased several boxes from them in the past. We are working on several different configurations for the box. I should have an absolute concrete price for truck and body in about a week.

The new Mitey Mike Tech will not have the known troublesome chemical injection head on the pump. It never was going to.
If someone spends top dollar with me. I'm going to at least give you your money's worth, and if I'm as successful as the other big truck manufacturers. And I'm able to buy me a nice new big building buy several new expensive cars and several new expensive houses. And I have a big pile of money heaped up about 10 feet tall, and it all came from you guys from doing business with me, and I sell you a system at top dollar and it has known parts on it that have given known problems in the past. I fully expect for you to throw gasoline on me and set me on fire. Get baseball bats and beat the hell out of me.

And as far as being able to contact me just because I'm a manufacturor of truck mounts, anyone that has ever done business with me in the past. This has never been a big deal. They have my home phone number and call me 24 hours a day anytime. It's always been that way.
Believe me, if it's four o' clock in the morning and you drove five hours to do a restaurant and you have a problem. Please call me anytime.

We have always minded our own business and have never copied anyone. We don't build equipment similar to anyone else's. We just do our own thing and so for, it looks like we've built the most reliable truck mounts that's ever been produced, the TNT. You may not have ever heard of one or seen a lot of them, because most of them are private labeled, but we have so many units that are still running after 25 years. They are so easy to work on, with common parts that we hardly ever have someone call us with a problem.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I'm some big time engineer know it all, and pretend like I'm involved in some kind of high tech industry that requires a lot of research and development,that requires thousands of hours of trial and errors, just to make myself look good. So you'll think I'm a big deal. So you will spend your money with me.

The only thing I can promise you, is that I'm for real and this industry means a lot to me. And you can call my Bluff anytime.

Thanks.
Les

ps.
the stament about you can call my bluff anytime is not directed to you personally, is was meant for anyone

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I fully expect for you to throw gasoline on me and set me on fire.
Get baseball bats and beat the hell out of me.

LOL!!!

I don't know you, Les,
but I think you're all'ite
:wink:

BTW, I'm about 1/4 of the way though my second gal
of O2 orange pre-spray.
I still haven't run into any rat nazties yet.
but so far I'm impressed with it.
It it passes the re-soil test, it's a keeper!

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom