Wierd Oriental Rug problem

ScottsDryFoam

I've cleaned this one womans 7 Orientals for a few years now and the other day I cleaned them and one of them wierded out on me.

It looks like it wasn't brushed down properly though it was. It has those blotches where you only need to brush it back the other way and it's dark one way and light the other. Here's the thing: for some reason if you brush it all one way and stand on one end of the rug, it looks fine. Go stand on the opposite end and it's all blotchy like it wasn't brushed properly. Brush away the blotches from that end and they appear on the other end. Go stand to the side, instead of the ends, and it looks too bright in places. So for instance, I have one spot that from the right side looks fine, from the left side looks too dark and from the front looks too bright. Brush it to lay the other way and from the left side it looks fine, but from the right side and the front it looks too dark. There's no way to make it look good from every angle no matter how you try.

It's a 12 year old Kazakhstan rug and it was always fine when I cleaned it before. None of the other rugs have any problems.

This has never happened to me before since I started cleaning Orientals in 1997. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? Any solution?

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
Scott,try to get some pictures of the rug and some of the rug experts here might be able to help you

Terry

Nathan K

Well, it's hard to say why it started doing this all of a sudden - too many variables to go into. You may have already tried this, but try lightly recleaning, then grooming the rug first going with the secondary lay (usually side-to-side), then again going with the primary lay (usually lengthwise). Sometimes this is a static charge thing, in which case we'll bonnet in some Ultra-Catylist from ChemMax - a cationic product. I know, I know, using cationics violates the WoolSafe mantra. I'm just telling you what's worked for us. Besides, leaves the rug nice & soft... Just follow directions, in case it's one of those newer Kazaks with bad dyes.

ScottsDryFoam

I did a recleaning but only regroomed on the primary lay. I'll try that when I go back and if it doesn't work I'll try to get pictures to post here. I'm a bit hesitant to try the Ultra-Catalyst. Besides, I'd have to order some, having never used it before, and so there's the wait time involved. If all else fails, I guess I could give that a go.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
This sounds like a classic case of shading or pooling.. You may not have done any damage to the rug but just from its age and who knows what other factors, rugs and some carpets will simply develop these issues. The industry has spent millions trying to figure this problem out. The other possbility is that you caused felting buy over agitating with your equipment. One way you can attempt a fix would be to mist some acid rinse or acetic acid diluted and then use a counter rotating cylndrical brush machine or pile lifter to correct the texture. Run the machine like you would be vacuuming and then trun the rug 90degrees and repeat process.

You also could try steaming the face yarns and grooming with a carding brush being carful not to damage the face fibers.

ScottsDryFoam

rhyde said:
how did you clean it ?
I use a VS-2 with Von Schrader's Dry Foam. Mike over at Von Schrader's called me back just as I was reading this forum and he said the same thing: it's pooling. Funny I've never run into that before.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If this "Kazakhstan" is actually an Afghani, dry foam might be a good way to clean. Otherwise the rug should probably be washed. You may be working against a build-up of soil and low-moisture detergent, and getting the rug clean/warm/wet may allow you to properly set the nap.

Warren Wallace

Supportive Member
Sounds like pooling, but I have to say if you have been cleaning them for
12 years you should have run into this before.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I say Bryan is absolutly right. A rug needs a good washing by immersion cleaning. It is very difficult by other cleaning methods to get all the residue out.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
lThat’s where is was headed a buildup of cleaning residue can exacerbate nap reversals, pooling and texture change some of this possibly all can be worked out in a through wash

Ron K

So what everyones saying is Full Immersion Washing would be the only way to solve the problem and make sure it does not happen again.
Signed
Your local Poulsbo WA Full Immersion Hand Washer of Oriental and Area Rugs.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
ron, where did you purchase your fringe detailer tool? I'd love to be able to detail on the drying stand rather than setting up the tables to clean, dry, reroll and repeat..

Also not to hijack the thread.. but how many of you have had false dye testing? We recently had a bokhara that anticpated would be a bleeder, but the dye test revealed no signs of bleeding. I use a very similar method to your picture there Ron, I tested each shampoo and rinse and went to shampoo the rug after dusting and low and behold it was bleed city. Immediatly stopped, extracted and rinsed and dryed.. Prevented any bleeding to the other colors but I was like holy H***!!!

Ron K

David we got that tool from Phil Auserehl. So your butt cheeks puckered... aint it fun. Glad to hear you got yourself out of trouble.

First , Hello All!!!

I never heard of pooling but "rivering" which is caused bu heavy traffic patterns.
Do they look like furniture indentations?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom