Will a 100 volt pump work in a mytee porty?

R

rotovacguy

Hi guys, I recently purchased an older century 400 porty for very cheap. The 7.2" 3 stage lamb motor went out on it shortly after receiving it, but when it was working I noticed the pump had a lot more pressure than the little 200 psi in my Mytee. The gauge always read right around 500 psi when the wand was triggered. Since the vacuum motor went out, I decided to take out the pump and try to put it in my Mytee, since that extra power would come in very handy. As I pulled it out, I noticed it said "100 volts" on the motor. There are no visible serial numbers on the motor or pump, but I noticed it looked a lot like a pumptec pump, so I called them up. I spoke with Sean at Pumptec, and he assured me that it was indeed one of theirs, since they had a contract with century 400 back in the day. He also informed me that the motor was most likely a Leeson motor, and that he was the guy that did the installations, too. When I took out the pump, I noticed there were some extra wires mounted on the side of the base, going into some sort of module. Sean told me this was the converter for allowing a 100 volt pump to work with 110 volt power. He also said that it was very sensitive to vibration, and it might not be worth trying to make it work on my Mytee.

I guess my question is, does anyone know if there is another way to make it work on standard 110 volt power? It's a very nice pump, but if it's too much hassle, I'll just sell it on ebay. Why would they build a 100 volt motor? Where do they use 100 volts?

The Mytee unit I have is a 1000-dx200. It came with just one cord, but I juiced it up with a second cord to allow me to drop in a couple of 3 stage Lamb motors. Ultimately, I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum, and there is nothing wrong with the 200 psi Pumptec in it, I just want more power.

Greenie

100v is Japan

Just call up Sean again, and order a 110v motor for your 500psi pump....or...remove the other carefully, and reinstall it with some caution for now...you did say it was working, right?

R

rotovacguy

Greenie said:
100v is Japan

Just call up Sean again, and order a 110v motor for your 500psi pump....or...remove the other carefully, and reinstall it with some caution for now...you did say it was working, right?

Yes, it works great.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Telly;

I think you have a 100 VDC motor from a hi-press pump system.

The module is a Rectifier to convert the AC to DC voltage. You must use it with the Motor.

Hook it up correctly & it should work fine on 110 VAC.

Larry Cobb

Name
John LaBarbera
What Larry said.

If you run a 115 volt pump on a 100 volts in Japan it will run slower, less pressure and flow, but it will work. If you run 100 volt pump at 115 volt in USA it will run faster, more pressure and flow.

John

R

rotovacguy

Larry Cobb said:
Telly;

The module is a Rectifier to convert the AC to DC voltage. You must use it with the Motor.

Larry Cobb

Thanks for the input, Larry. What you said is exactly what Sean told me. But I must say, I'm still a bit confused. Sean said it is very sensitive to vibration...how so? It's mounted in a porty, it certainly needs to be able to get bounced around a bit. And also John from mytee said it would work, albeit slower. I didn't think you could hook up a dc motor to ac current. I'll be the first one to admit, I'm no electrician, but I didn't think that was feasible. I guess I just don't want to put it in if I have to coddle the darn thing.

Also, I replaced the two 2 stage Lamb motors with a couple of 116765 3 stage motors. What is the actual amp draw for these? I've seen as low as 12 and as high as 14, what's the real figure? I'm asking because I have no idea what current the pump will draw if I can get it hooked up. I'm guessing it'd be better to play it safe and put it on it's own cord. I do remember when the century 400 was working, one of the cords was a bit warm to the touch, but it did have a 7.2" 3 stage motor, heater, and an auto pump-out motor, as well. I do remember that the gauge showed about 600 psi when not on the gun, when you pulled the trigger, it would go down to about 500 psi with my 2 jet wand, and down to about 250 psi with my rotovac. The current pumptec model with those similar specs draws about 8 amps, does that sound correct?

R

rotovacguy

rotovacguy said:
Larry Cobb said:
Telly;

Larry Cobb

Thanks for the input, Larry. What you said is exactly what Sean told me. But I must say, I'm still a bit confused. Sean said it is very sensitive to vibration...how so? It's mounted in a porty, it certainly needs to be able to get bounced around a bit. And also John from mytee said it would work, albeit slower. I didn't think you could hook up a dc motor to ac current. I'll be the first one to admit, I'm no electrician, but I didn't think that was feasible. I guess I just don't want to put it in if I have to coddle the darn thing.

Also, I replaced the two 2 stage Lamb motors with a couple of 116765 3 stage motors. What is the actual amp draw for these? I've seen as low as 12 and as high as 14, what's the real figure? I'm asking because I have no idea what current the pump will draw if I can get it hooked up. I'm guessing it'd be better to play it safe and put it on it's own cord. I do remember when the century 400 was working, one of the cords was a bit warm to the touch, but it did have a 7.2" 3 stage motor, heater, and an auto pump-out motor, as well. I do remember that the gauge showed about 600 psi when not on the gun, when you pulled the trigger, it would go down to about 500 psi with my 2 jet wand, and down to about 250 psi with my rotovac. The current pumptec model with those similar specs draws about 8 amps, does that sound correct?

I guess I understand that the rectifier needs to be used, perhaps that's what John meant to say. The way I read it, it seemed as though John made it sound like I could hook it up even without the rectifier.

Name
John LaBarbera
Sorry I wasn't clear. The pump will run faster not slower. You need the rectifier like Larry Cobb said. The rectifier is about an 1 1/4" square. If you look at the four terminals on it, one is marked with a "+". Some time that terminal is designated by a notched off corner. That is the positive side that goes to a wire off the pump. The second wire off the pump goes kitty-corner to the first wire. The other terminals get the 120 power from your cord through your switch. I don't understand the vibration comment except it could be that he feels that the pump motor is so old the magnets might be ready to break. How this helps.

You're right on the amps for the vac's. Put the pump and one vac on one cord and the second vac on its own cord. If you need some help or parts let me know.

John

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Telly;

If it is the DC pump motor we use, it shouldl only draw about 3.5 amps.

We have them in at least 50 Century 500 PSI machines and the failure rate is about normal for a pump application.

Here's a photo of a rectifier I found on Google:
DSCF1919.JPG

There are 2 AC inputs &
a (+) and (-) output terminals.

The amp draw on the 3-stage vac will be about 11 amps in series connection.

Larry

R

rotovacguy

John LaBarbera said:
Sorry I wasn't clear. The pump will run faster not slower. You need the rectifier like Larry Cobb said. The rectifier is about an 1 1/4" square. If you look at the four terminals on it, one is marked with a "+". Some time that terminal is designated by a notched off corner. That is the positive side that goes to a wire off the pump. The second wire off the pump goes kitty-corner to the first wire. The other terminals get the 120 power from your cord through your switch. I don't understand the vibration comment except it could be that he feels that the pump motor is so old the magnets might be ready to break. How this helps.

You're right on the amps for the vac's. Put the pump and one vac on one cord and the second vac on its own cord. If you need some help or parts let me know.

John

Thank you for the input, John. One of these days I'll get out to the shop and pull it out of there. If I encounter any problems, I'll be sure to hit you and Larry up for some advise. Thanks again.

R

rotovacguy

Larry Cobb said:
Telly;

If it is the DC pump motor we use, it shouldl only draw about 3.5 amps.

We have them in at least 50 Century 500 PSI machines and the failure rate is about normal for a pump application.

Here's a photo of a rectifier I found on Google:
DSCF1919.JPG

There are 2 AC inputs &
a (+) and (-) output terminals.

The amp draw on the 3-stage vac will be about 11 amps in series connection.

Larry

Thanks Larry....Like I told John, I'll pull it out of there one of these days. I'm in no rush, but it would be nice to use it seeing as though it's just collecting dust right now. If I encounter any problems, I'll be sure to ask you guys. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom