will reducing agent neutralize chlorine bleach??

steve g

Name
steve garrett
while me and the wife were out the kids and the baby sitter decided they would spot the carpets, the only problem is they used a generic cleaner with bleach added, it is on a polyester carpet (it was here when we bought the house) so it does have some resistance to bleaching. so if I spray this with a powdered reducing agent will this neutralize any bleaching??

joe harper

Name
joe harper
steve g said:
while me and the wife were out the kids and the baby sitter decided they would spot the carpets, the only problem is they used a generic cleaner with bleach added, it is on a polyester carpet (it was here when we bought the house) so it does have some resistance to bleaching. so if I spray this with a powdered reducing agent will this neutralize any bleaching??

WHITE VINEGAR.....Will reduce the bleach..... :wink:

On Cotton fringes that are HORRIBLE....

I will use 10% chlorine bleach....&...follow immediately with a white vinegar RINSE...
It neutralizes the BLEACH... 8)

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Time is the killer.

Here are three alternatives for neutralizing sodium hypochlorite bleach:

bisulfite or metabisulfite,

thiosulfite,

or peroxide.

Use with caution, and DON'T use any vinegar as this can turn the bleach into a stronger destroyer and if enough, form a dangerous gas.

Ooroo,

:wink:

steve g

Name
steve garrett
come on here some people are saying yes use vinegar some saying it will make it worse?? it has slightly bleached the carpet I NEED TO KNOW SOMETHING to put on there to stop it, obviously I don't deal with this all the time. It needs to be something that I already have in my arsenal of cleaning products.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
the powdered reducing agent I put on it last night didn't work, I fired the truckmount up and ran some fabset through and rinsed the crap out of it, I have fans trying to speed dry it right now. if you guys have baby sitters RULE #1 don't put anything on the f ing carpets. I am so pissed right now as its right as soon as you come into the house and the idiots that put the carpets in left no extra carpet for repairs.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I would use something made for this purpose. I have found the bleach neutralizer sold buy the companies that make carpet dyes ( other than chem-tex )work the best. If it were me I would experiment with crayons to do the repair.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Steve..

If you have already experienced "color loss"...it is probably permanent..

Shorty & Randy are both professionals...and know there stuff.. 8)

HOWEVER....We have used "White Vinegar"...to neutralize 50% bleach BEFORE... :shock:

Because you never know how FAST bleach will STRIP color...We have the vinegar "ON HAND"
to stop the bleaching effects.."immediately"... :wink: ...Then COLD water rinse...!

I am aware of ammonia & bleach creating a deadly gas...But NOT heard of Vinegar creating
a problem... :?

AGAIN....This is a LAST resort...fringe cleaning process... :!:

Ok..I see where GOOGLE..warns of MIXING of bleach & vinegar produces a deadly GAS... :!:

AGAIN...This in a DIRECT mixing of LARGE quantities of the solutions...That is NOT your situation
you are simply trying to reduce a bleaching effect of a household cleaner...!

IMO...you are taking NO chance of creating this GAS....!
However...I did learn something today...Thanks for the INFO... :D

leesenter

Key to neutralizing bleach in carpet is to soak it with a reducer or neutralizer twice the size of the area you think need treatment.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
we always had bleach neutralizer on hand back in my rainbow days when we did some spot dying. however I don't mess with that stuff anymore, I also don't care if I form a poisonous gas because its either deal with the gas or have bleached out carpets. I think to an extent the powdered reducing agent did help alot, the problem is I wasn't aware exactly where all the cleaner with bleach was put on the carpet and missed quite a bit of it with my pump sprayer and reducer. I also wasn't sure just how potent the bleach was in this cleaner, it was very potent. I know polyester will resist some bleaching and I originally had thought it wasn't bad enough to really cause damage, I should have rinsed the crap out of it immediately with the truckmount and just flooded it. I have been pissed off all day as a result.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
steve g said:
the powdered reducing agent I put on it last night didn't work, I fired the truckmount up and ran some fabset through and rinsed the crap out of it, I have fans trying to speed dry it right now. if you guys have baby sitters RULE #1 don't put anything on the f ing carpets. I am so pissed right now as its right as soon as you come into the house and the idiots that put the carpets in left no extra carpet for repairs.

maybe it didn't bleach it.
maybe you just SUCK as a carpet cleaner and now have a CLEAN spot.... :shock:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Why are you pissed. ??

What have you been drinking. ??

Usually, if I want to get really pissed, I hit the Bundy O.P. (Overproof).

Boy, if I had your problem with that bleach mark, when I was pissed and laughing deleriously, I would have grabbed Stanley and chopped a piece out, then cut some from the wardrobe as a donor, and stuck it right back in there so no-one would know.

Until next morning when I woke up and sobered up. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ooroo,

:lol:

John Buxton

I attended a meeting years back with Jeff Bishop and he had a 25% bleach solution he sprayed on a red stained upholstery cushion, once the red stain lightened sufficiently he neutralized it with reducing agent and rinsed rinsed rinsed. It was an amazing demo.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
John Buxton said:
I attended a meeting years back with Jeff Bishop and he had a 25% bleach solution he sprayed on a red stained upholstery cushion, once the red stain lightened sufficiently he neutralized it with reducing agent and rinsed rinsed rinsed. It was an amazing demo.

A reducing agent will neutralize chlorine bleach. But neutralizing the bleach and correcting the color loss - the effect of the bleach - are two very different things.

Polyester is usually disperse dyed and pretty colorfast, so if it lost color, neutralzing the bleach prevents this from getting worse over time.

Contact your insurance company. Home-woners insurance may pay for new carpet after your deductible. I know that it has for a few folks who called me with similar incidents.

Also contact the maker of the product that was used on the carpet. Unless the babysitter ignored the directions, you may be able to put in a claim and get something better than polyester carpet.

Back
Top Bottom