windex

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
had a call from a customer and they had windex spill on the carpet. he said it has left a stain. I am going to go look at it later today to see what I can do as far as cleaning, any suggestions on cleaning this type of stuff?

TimP

More than likely you have color loss. Windex is ammonia and doesn't stain as far as adding something to the carpet. It usually removes color from the carpet. The only way I think it could make a stain in the customers eyes is if it left a residue to attract soil, or color loss like I said. If it's a dark spot you can remove the soil but even if you do you still run the risk of removing color depending on how long the windex (ammonia) was left in the carpet. Chances are the customer wont be happy with the results unless you know how to fix a color loss problem. But you could always get lucky.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Bring a souring rinse (acid) Windex is colored and it may be as simple as rinsing.
Rinse with water, then a sour rinse and see where you are at

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Randy is right. You may be able to rinse it easily as long as the customer hasn't dumped all her "miracle" spot removers on the spot. If it doesn't remove with rinsing look at using Stain Magic.
The one good thing about ammonia is that it self neutralizes quickly. While it is a pH of about 12 it doesn't remain at that pH. That is why it is used in many household spotters.

Just remember to set her expectations low and remind her who caused the initial problem. You are trying to fix a bad situation.

rhyde said:
Bring a souring rinse (acid) Windex is colored and it may be as simple as rinsing.
Rinse with water, then a sour rinse and see where you are at

TimP

If it's a blue stain you and your customer are pretty lucky....as what was said above would work pretty good. And that's what I meant about being lucky.

My experience from windex in carpet is color loss. Like I said depending how long the windex stayed in the carpet, you could have trouble. Set your customer up for disapointment with color loss. Let them know it's a posibility, then rinse that way if you take the color out you aren't the bad guy. If the blue in the windex stained the carpet....which I find unlikely but not impossible. If you get rid of it, enjoy being the hero!!!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
If the stain does not rinse away, then try a reducer (Red Zone, Red Relief, Red Vanish, etc.) to remove the blue color. Those "red" removers do work pretty good on other colors as well.

Scott Warrington

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
thanks for the info guys. I have not seen it yet but when the customer told me about it he already expects it not to change. It is a rental house that he is selling and the new owners dont care what it looks like from the sounds of it. Scott I will try your new red remover on this if there is still a blue color visible.

Rex Tyus

Don't forget Windex also has a vinegar formula. Blue dye and acetic acid...refer to Scott's post.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom