Wood floor finish

TimP

What wood floor finish products have you guys used and what do you think about them.

I've got a customer with a bamboo floor in a kitchen and she put a wood floor wax of some sort from the grocery store on it. Has anyone taken care of getting it off and putting a proper finish on it. It's a prefinished wood and she just wants the kitchen with a finish on it and the rest with the factory finish. Is it ok to do it that way or should the whole floor be coated? Any recommendations on product. I think Interlink sells one, jon-don, and more I'm sure.

The following is a good video of refinishing w/o sanding

http://www.bona.com/upload/United%20Sta ... rep_BB.wmv

TimP

I contacted them with my info to get some information on the product and how to order and all. Seems like a lot of you guys recommend this stuff. And it seems easy.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
I've heard it doesn't hold up worth crap.

thats cuz its basicly a floor finish...either slightly thinned (less solids) or a different polymer..

I saw it and what they were doing, and damn near laughed in their face about it...

nothing more then a floor finish...

Yeah lets go and start putting floor finish on laminate flooring....ohhhhhhh what a PITA that is going to make..

TimP

I for sure don't want a vct floor finish.

Come on guys, what's good to use?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
They make one for vct and another for wood floors.

What you really want is to screen the floor, since most jobs require that. If the floor is in good condition and there are no issues w/ the poly urethane than it won't be a problem, i've done numerous jobs w/ the product and gotten great results, it will adhere to the poly as long as it's not bare wood.

Most of the jobs i inspect they need sanding done.

TimP

Prefinished floors aren't coated with poly that I know of. It's an aluminum oxide finish.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
tmdry said:
They make one for vct and another for wood floors.

What you really want is to screen the floor, since most jobs require that. If the floor is in good condition and there are no issues w/ the poly urethane than it won't be a problem, i've done numerous jobs w/ the product and gotten great results, it will adhere to the poly as long as it's not bare wood.

Most of the jobs i inspect they need sanding done.

UMMMMM why do you think it WONT adhere to bare wood???

cuz its a fooking vct floor finish...

I saw them both, tip a little out, looked at it, smelled it....

ITS FLOOR FINISH!!!!!!

Did you know floor finish adheres to alot of things??? makes them shiny to...

wait till it gets some wear and you try to blend it...

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
If you know of others why don't you tell the guy instead of trying to debate w/ me on a product u have just looked at, i'm not disagreeing w/ you, i've used it on clients homes and so has a bunch of ppl i know, so far no issues.

The vct floor finish is the deluxe product, the "restoration" is meant for wood floors.

You talking about the actual green bottle that is vct floor finish or the blue bottle?

Why would u want to have a floor finish adhere to raw wood though? Raw wood would look like shit, even the bridgepoint finish doesnt look good on raw wood, i sub most of my jobs out, every once in a while u get those recoat jobs.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
thats what i am saying...you DONT want it on bare wood...

I did tell them at connections in vegas...know what they told me??

Same thing everyother snake oil salesman says..."ohhhh no ours is different, its got blah blah blah in it"

I am sure it does have blah in it...but floor finish is floor finish...

sure it looks good..lots of people thought/think chem-dry looks good..but after a little while it sux like the rest of them..

Whats you time out of when you have done these, and then gone back and re-do them???

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
TimP said:
Prefinished floors aren't coated with poly that I know of. It's an aluminum oxide finish.
TimP said:
What do you recommend then?

Tim, I talked to a woman in my BNI and she built a house with all prefinished wood floors on the entire 1st floor, and she said they are starting to look like crap already and wants me to fix them so I started looking around for different products besides the stuff Interlink has.

I talked to the local distributer and he said a lot of guys in the floor refinishing business use and like the product. He said the guys us a 175 and a screen to prep the floors instead of the machine they show on the website. The also have a product used to prep prefinished wood floors that have the aluminim odixe finish you mention. The guy I talked with was very cool and not pushy. They've got water-based, oil-based, sealers, Green water-based products, etc.. Check out their site, maybe this might be what you're looking for.. maybe not but I thought I'd mention it.

http://www.basiccoatings.com/Pages/default.aspx

Regards- Bill

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
So Jondon sells it... you say that like it's a bad thing? I didn't mean to make it sound like I found some hidden treasure. I accidentally found the stuff I mentioned online. But after you mentioned Jondon carried it, I looked through a box of old sales fliers, catalogs, I found one on this product from Jondon.

I also searched on the board here and found a couple guys mention it too.

Can be too bad.. :| ?

TimP

No just saying they carry it. Not a bad thing. Just easier to get if I wanted it.

Their website says not to apply if wax was put on a floor so it's not applicable with this situation anyway.

SFC

You should check out the Basic Coatings Web site. The product they recommend is Tycoat and their finish. the scratches are caused by dogs, dirt, shoes etc. the Tycoat system allows you to recoat without sanding. The finish is hard and durable.

Some companies are pricing this service out at about 2.25 sq ft.

Takes about 4 hours and you should be finished the same day.

We did a gym this week with the product and an 8000 sq foot gym in 8 hours, 3 guys. 2 rookies included. And we get to go back next year. Great system

Name
Jesse
We also use Basic. Tycoat goes under Streetshoe if I remember correctly. It's a durable product, kinda has a fiberglass effect on your skin, but aside from that it's great. We did 2500sf last week, screen with a 175, clean, 1 coat of tycoat and 2 coats of street Shoe. Took 2 guys 1 day and used 3 gallons w/catalyst.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
We also use Basic. Tycoat goes under Streetshoe if I remember correctly. It's a durable product, kinda has a fiberglass effect on your skin, but aside from that it's great. We did 2500sf last week, screen with a 175, clean, 1 coat of tycoat and 2 coats of street Shoe. Took 2 guys 1 day and used 3 gallons w/catalyst.

Say jess did you guys just clean floor with 175 and red pad or did you screen with a 175?
Freind of mine in canada got into this tykote system and workin really good for him so far

SFC

I used lamanator plus on my laminate in our office. I am using office chairs and we roll around the room. I weigh 240 lbs and no marks on the finish. I am impressed. Still a nice satin glow to the finish. Nothing wrong with that.

Tycoat system is great, for hardwood including prefinished aluminum oxide stuff. Just make sure you do your pre tests. If there is wax on the acrylic or paste wax on the floor it won't stick and you are gonna end up coming back with a sanding machine to clean up the mess.

I am trying and new one coat poly this weekend in another room. I will post when the results are back.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
TimP said:

Wrong TimP... Almost 99% of the prefinished floors are Polyurethane.. here is where you are getting confused. Alot of the higher end prefinshed floors add Aluminum oxide to the polyurethante to get the same type of crosslinked metal polymer structure that is boasted in some VCT finishes. the difference is each layer of floor finished is baked onto the wood and repeated. The more quality of wood, the higher the number of applications of finish. I high grade of hardwood will have between 7-12 coats of finish.

Bamboo is a bit of different beast compared to a real wood product. Though often finished with polyurethane finishes with aluminum oxide or ceramic additive to harden the finish, ther are some "green" bamboo product that use water based finishes to produce a more earthen friendly product overall. However these products often suffer from wear alot soone too.

As for the recoat. The bona product or even the product from Jon Don as susgest above would work but do your research. You don't want to screen coat this simply for the fact that if its been carbonized. That treatment is only surface deep and you don't wand to risk removing that process. It can only be replicated in the factory. Also see if you can find out the actual floor manufacture. They have simple suggestions or evens strict guidelines on how to finish or refinish their product.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom