Wood floor polish...

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
We are heading back to a fantastic new clients home tomorrow to clean and polish @ 1350 sq ft of hardwood on the main level.

We just finished cleaning 11 area rugs (various sizes) for this same client, in my shop today. They cleaned up great. I'm really trying to get this one right. She is thrilled that we were able to accommodate her as she gets ready for guests on Thursday. She loves to host guests.

Should I bring some or all of the rugs back tomorrow?

Does the polish need any time to breathe or dry before setting some rather large area rugs back on it?

Any tips on handle the cleaning? It's maintained well and is not terribly soiled. Ill make sure it's swept really well.

Ive got a box of white pads for my 175. I thought it might come in handy when cleaning or polishing, or both.

Should I have gotten some special bonnets? Ive got probably 3 new green stripe carpet bonnets but that's all.

It's in nice enough shape that I'd like to do it all by hand but I'm pretty sure she's looking for something special we will do. I thought I might just swing the 175 around a little and make it shine.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
If it is a water-based polyurethane, it will dry enough to walk on in 30-45 minutes. However, it will not cure for at least 24 hours. Bring the rugs back later and ask them to wipe their shoes very thoroughly on a mat until then. I haven't used a Bona product so cannot help beyond the generalities of: clean thoroughly, be positve all wax is gone (or it will fisheye horribly) and allow enough time between coats. Good luck!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Well, we did the best that I know how. The Cleanco is in the shop today so I loaded everything in our trusty Honda Odyssey.

I used a product called "Squeaky" to clean with a 175 and a white pad. Mel collected what little liquid I was leaving behind with a microfiber flat mop.

We went back over it with the 175 again when putting down the Bona Hi Gloss polish.

Again, Mel and I smoothing it out with flat mops.

It shined up pretty good but wasn't exactly uniform, like I expected.

IMG_0369.JPG

This is before we started. Mel has some during and after pics that I'll try to post later but this gives you the space we were in.

Reactions: Jimmy L
Name
Lee Stockwell
Water-based urethanes are getting better, and the negatives are far outweighed by the positives.

Any good brand name not sold at Walmart will do.

Reactions: Russ T.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Well, we did the best that I know how. The Cleanco is in the shop today so I loaded everything in our trusty Honda Odyssey.

I used a product called "Squeaky" to clean with a 175 and a white pad. Mel collected what little liquid I was leaving behind with a microfiber flat mop.

We went back over it with the 175 again when putting down the Bona Hi Gloss polish.

Again, Mel and I smoothing it out with flat mops.

It shined up pretty good but wasn't exactly uniform, like I expected.

View attachment 71105

This is before we started. Mel has some during and after pics that I'll try to post later but this gives you the space we were in.
I don't believe you need to polish the Bona. I think it is better just to apply with a flat lambs wool applicator. I am going to be quoting on a similar job and plan to tackle it the same way you did, except with a Spraybog. Not too soiled, the Sprayborg is more for show. I am planning to use a white pad for agitating my cleaning solution and switch over to a terry pad to absorb it all up. I will take some pics if I can and see if there is a difference by not polishing.

Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Does it usually dry more evenly, than what it looks like pretty fresh?

Like the next day...

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Bona may be the best source for information. But I think they say 24 hour cure time before covering with rugs or heavy traffic (light traffic is OK after about 1 hour). Also no buffing until fully cured, at least 24 hours. You will remove some fo the finish if you apply the pressure of a buffer prior to curing. That could contribute to being uneven.

You may want to touch up with a third very light coat to even it out.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
img_1907-jpg.71131

This is Pallmann "Pall-X 96" which is a non-yellowing single componant water-based finish. The floor was dull and very worn. This happens to be the satin, but as you can see it has a very nice soft sheen, not dull at all.

Dried, it is as hard as Kelsey's nuts. Retails for about $114, but at a wholesaler it goes about $40/gallon.

http://www.pallmann.us/products/product-search/details/pall-x-96-finish-1416/

Attachments

• IMG_1907.JPG
    IMG_1907.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom