Wool rug, I don't stand a chance.

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by foosballnerd, Nov 22, 2016.

1. foosballnerd
    foosballnerd

Name:
    Rick
    Getting ready to clean my gf extremely tight wool rug. After seeing pics of Springer's shop on this forum (props to the Huxley dude and Mr. Hugh), chance of success is against me. Wish I could figure out how to post pics. In one of the pics I seen at springers, was that a wringer like they use to use with laundry? Here's my game plan: prespray with solution at ph 9, agiate with my groomer (yes it does have a wooden handle), water extract (no chemicals), then rinse (acetic acid, ok yes I'm gonna use vinegar), throw in a ton of dry strokes, and my carpet fan. So I'm thinking this should dry by turkey day, gf leaves me, and I will be on match.com looking for my future X. I'm thinking it's really good that I have a normal job outside CC, that way when I screw someone's carpet up, at least I can threaten them with a payment plan.
    Bob Pruitt and Mikey P like this.
  2. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    Start by vacuuming both sides, back first then front, very slowly to remove as much loose soil as possible. Lower your pH of your pre-spray to 7-8 to be safe and use an acid rinse in your chemical injection. Keep your heat off and pressure under 500psi. Be sure to Groom the pile with the nap after extraction to help remove the wand marks and set the nap in the correct direction. Check for dryness with a moisture probe. When dry, vacuum again. You should get out of this unscathed.
    Lee Stockwell likes this.
  3. foosballnerd
    foosballnerd

Name:
    Rick
    Never thought to vac both sides, killer idea. 500 psi, I got a porty. Heat, I'm using tap water out of the sink. I used my upholstery tool to clean because the $3 utube super duper wand glide I made wasn't cured yet (and when it is cured, I'm betting it comes detached easily). The rug does look better. When I drained the water, it looked like I sucked my cat up in the machine. After I read your reply, I did run down stairs and make sure I had the nap going like you said. Thank you, advice is cheap, good advice comes with experience and is priceless.
    Lee Stockwell and T Monahan like this.
  4. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    Classic

Thanks for not getting all rugfaggy on him Jordan...
  5. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    Don't need a glide when using a porty.
  6. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    You're welcome .
    T Monahan likes this.
  7. foosballnerd
    foosballnerd

Name:
    Rick
    Hello Jimmy L,
    The glide I made did work better than not having one: the wand didn't bounce around on the back stroke like it did without it on the berber in my basement (and to my shock, the darn thing was still securely attached). I'm just trying to learn, and you and others are helping. Every 1 thing I learn, seems to make me realize there's 2 things I don't have a clue about. So how come I don't need a glide/slide for a porty? It seemed the previous 2 times I cleaned the same berber (yes, I have been practicing), I had to press down on the back strokes/dry runs to keep the thing on the carpet. Never mind the glide thing. Chemicals, where to buy, a sales rep perhaps with a bigger brain than mine (which isn't going to be hard). Here's the CC market I'm looking at: residential (people I know, friend, coworkers, none of us rich), people that probably will not call a professional fulltime cleaner ever, have faith in me (I honestly have been CCing before). I'm tired of typing, throwing my resume out, cyber stalking HWE, PH, rinse, mfgers, equipment, PSI, CFM. airlift, wands, powerwands, hose size (does this 1.5 inch I'm using...never mind I was a bad joke:), and chemicals. Throw me in the right direction with the chemicals. When I say throw, I mean, hook me up with some place with good chemicals. I pay my bills, I know I pay before I even use them. Did anyone miss the part about "help?" And "rugfaggy," what is that? I'm still waiting for you all to jump on me about the foosball thing, it's a game with...forget it.
  8. Matt Wood
    Matt Wood

Name:
    matt wood
    Can someone enlighten me on what an extremely tight wool rug is? Since you said this is your girlfriend's extremely tight wool rug, my immature sense of humor went down the wrong path.
    Old Coastie and Cleanworks like this.
  9. foosballnerd
    foosballnerd

Name:
    Rick
    Thread count/knot count, extremely thick. I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant. And did the carpet match the backing (oops, I'm meant drapes)? Nope. The gf is really happy with the rug though, and I wasn't, and will stay away from those jobs. Guess why I'm here bothering you fine folks. Wait for it...here comes the Punch line...it's information. Or if you like, my lack of knowledge, in CC. So Mr. Wood, do you know a good chemical supplier, or are we going to just copy and paste my first post and reply in regards to my gf? Why is it so hard for someone to say "hey bonehead, call these people, they got good product, knowledgeable reps, and so on and on?" Do I need to throw my full resume out? Join? I'm not going to embarrass the industry, compete with anyone, or say a bad word about another CC in my area. I already have my small little niche, which none, not a one, is going to call a professional carpet cleaning company, ever. I'm cleaning for friends, friends of friends, coworkers, nothing commercial, and because it interest me (it's in my blood, sorry, let me enlighten you, my Father was a vac saleman). So if you are renting out carpet extractors, selling chemical, and your clients are cleaning carpets themselves, I am going to compete with you (extractor rental is $30, chemicals are $20, upholstery tool $15, deposit ?, and they have to do the work themselves, and the machine is not a TM or even a good grade porty). I hope I do 1 carpet a week, for honest work and fair pay. Throw in some (not a bunch, I do have a full time job outside of this industry) upholstery, vehicles, and that's it folks. Chemicals, please throw some leads at me. Wow, I wrote another novel, sorry.
  10. foosballnerd
    foosballnerd

Name:
    Rick
    Yep, I joined. Don't everybody rush out and welcome me, just try to get my not so funny jokes, and point me in the right direction.
    Lee Stockwell and Mikey P like this.
  11. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Rick, there are some many chemical and equipment suppliers out there it is hard to know where to start. You will learn what you need through personal experience. If you are doing hwe, (steam cleaning) try your local Prochem dealer. They will have everything you need and the products are good. All of the other top suppliers are just as good and it comes down to a personal preference. You have to put in your time and make your judgements. Keep up the jokes. They may get funnier with experience, who knows. Welcome to Mikey's Board by the way.
  12. Bob Pruitt
    Bob Pruitt

Name:
    Robert Pruitt
    Welcome @foosballnerd to the MikeyBoard! You were able to keep your girl friend and soak a rug. You are qualified to be here...
    Just drag a picture from your desk top and once it shows up on your post click Full Size.
    Mikey P likes this.
  13. Matt Wood
    Matt Wood

Name:
    matt wood
    Hey bro, I'm just having fun with you. Stay around for a while, and you'll be entertained with our dry humor.

If I understand your post correctly, you have a rental setup that you supply to the public? If so, how's that business doing? Do you need tips to give to your customers on how to get the best results out of those setups?

Because if you do rent out those machines...technically those are our main competitors, and we try every day to make sure our customers know that our services are more valuable than rentals. But if that's all you want to do, then after we dry humor hump you for a bit, we'll have some great conversation. All I ask, is that you return the dry humor to keep us laughing with you

Welcome bro
  14. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    Do you how your portable around in a trailer or does it get first class treatment in a (real) van?

Real meaning not your wife's soccer wagon..
  15. foosballnerd
    foosballnerd

Name:
    Rick
    Prochem it is, thank you. No I'm renting anything to the public or anyone else. Still have the gf, although I keep wondering why she hasn't came to her senses and left. The vehicle is my daily driver, a jeep, which the porty EDIC fits in nicely. Putting it in out of the jeep, 80 pounds is a blast. Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated, promise.
    Matt Wood likes this.
  16. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Try Prochem ultra pak traffic lane cleaner for your prespray and liquid slurry for your extraction detergent. Buy some defoamer.
    Bob Pruitt likes this.
  17. foosballnerd
    foosballnerd

Name:
    Rick
    I bought the Ultrapac Traffic lane Mint, Liquid Slurry, All Fiber Rinse, XL333, and Oxy Plus (this one I'm going to gently try on my carpets). I didn't get any defoamer, the person who answered the phone couldn't tell me how to use it. She did call someone, and that person recommended I not buy Ultrapac TL and Liquid Slurry, and just buy XL333. The rinse part to neutralize the traffic lane and cleaner (if I'm understanding this correctly), means I got to clean the same carpet twice, is that correct? And...someone slap a profile pic on me, is that a girl? How come I can't make the pic big enough to read what it says. Well, at least the foosball table is a Tornado.
  18. foosballnerd
    foosballnerd

Name:
    Rick
    I bought the Ultrapac Traffic lane Mint, Liquid Slurry, All Fiber Rinse, XL333, and Oxy Plus (this one I'm going to gently try on my carpets). I didn't get any defoamer, the person who answered the phone couldn't tell me how to use it. She did call someone, and that person recommended I not buy Ultrapac TL and Liquid Slurry, and just buy XL333. The rinse part to neutralize the traffic lane and cleaner (if I'm understanding this correctly), means I got to clean the same carpet twice, is that correct? And...someone slap a profile pic on me, is that a girl? How come I can't make the pic big enough to read what it says. Well, at least the foosball table is a Tornado.
  19. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    You won't need the all fibre rinse yet. You prespray with the ultrapak and rinse with the liquid slurry. Some people will tell you that you need to acid rinse but they are wrong. Pay close attention to the mixing instructions. More is not better. When something doesn't clean up the first time, do it again. Stick to synthetic carpets at first, do not do area rugs with these products.
  20. Larry Cobb
    Larry Cobb

Supportive Member

Name:
    Larry Cobb
    Rick;

Don't worry about your initial cleaning abilities.

Most carpet cleaners started out the same way.

The trick is to keep progressing in this trade . . .
    Mikey P likes this.