Webinar Wooly Bully MBWebinar with the One and Only Ruth Travis!

Mikey P

Administrator
This week we have the one and only Ruth Travis on MBWebinars.

Ruth needs no introductions to anyone in the textile cleaning industry but if just landed here from Mars here it is..

Ruth has a B.S. degree in Textiles from the University of Tennessee and has attended most of the major cleaning and restoration industry courses.
She shares with her students and peers the unique perspective of a small carpet cleaning business owner, retail rug store owner and carpet inspector. She has over 25 years experience in maintenance and restoration of carpet, rugs and upholstery. In addition, she is a flooring inspector and performs corrections for some of the major carpet mills. She has traveled throughout the US and abroad sharing her knowledge with other cleaners, inspectors and restorers.
Ruth is an active volunteer in the cleaning, restoration and inspection industry. She served as the IICRC as Marketing Committee Chairman and President/Chairman of the Board of Directors for two years and is the past Chairman of the IICRC’s Color Repair Committee. She is also on the IICRC Rug Cleaning Technician Committee and was one of the editors of IICRC S-100 Carpet Cleaning Standard and S-300 Upholstery Cleaning Standard. She was a member of the S520 Mold Remediation Standard Committee.
Ruth also serves as Past President of the Society of Cleaning and Restoration Technicians.
After fulfilling her responsibilities as President of the IICRC, Ruth was named the Director of the WoolSafe Organization in North America.

In 1988, Ruth and her her partner, Ginger started their fabric care service in Chattanooga, Tennessee where she performed fabric cleaning, protection, and inspection and color correction services for her clients, interior designers and carpet mills.
In 1995 she opened a retail rug store, The Rug Exchange. After selling her share of the business to her partner in 2001, Ruth shifted her focus to training and instructing others in the fabric care industry.
- See more at: http://www.woolsafeacademy.org/about-ruth-travis/#sthash.VYQMTwf6.dpuf

Wool and only wool will be on the docket for discussion.

"Woolsafe"
What is it really?
Who does the testing?
What passes and what doesn't?
What does it take to be a Wool Safe Service Provider?

Wool Broadlooms.

Learn to identify Axminsters, Wiltons and Starks.
Learn how to safely and effectively clean the best of the best.

Woven Wool rugs
Ruth's new ID flash cards
A review of all the current wool guru classes

Fiber Protection

What brands are Wool Safe approved and which are not
Application dos and dont's
Selling tips

This Wednesday, May 4th 6PM PST
@ https://intercallsnh.adobeconnect.com/_a1084829614/mikeysboardwebinars/

Ruth is Rug Crazy!.jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
IMG_5303.JPG
IMG_1137.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
jack zerkie
I.m still not great at cleaning wool but I did play the drums for a few years with wooly bully in the Ft Myers Fl. We had a trio and played Fri & Sat.Wooly is now 84 and retired and just boats for fun. I.m trying to put another group together, but I need old guys over age 70 like me that knows the music. Carpet cleaning during the week and music on the weekends. I,m a better carpet cleaner than a drummer and enjoy doing both.jz.

Ruth Travis

Name
Ruth Travis
Hey Mikey . . . I'm sassy because I enjoy what I do and I love hangin' out with all the great people I've met in our industry . . . now including you and Mr. Thread Snatcher. I know we'll have fun on the program Wednesday evening. If anyone wants to talk specifics, please let me know.

Mikey P

Administrator
Well it's certainly an honer to have you here Ruth, finally.

I think it was that infamous home wrecker Tony Wheelright that use to tell me such horrible things about you.
You ate meat, drove a car that demands 92 octane, swatted flies, voted for Jimmy Carter and subscribed to the National Enquirer...

Now that he's gone all sort of wonderful relationship's like ours have developed.

Let me start the Wool dialog by asking if you support the idea of tub washing each rug like this video implies should be done?

Ruth Travis

Name
Ruth Travis
Mikey, too bad you listened to anything that person you mentioned said. All big fat lies!!!!

I believe there are many, many methods of cleaning rugs (I teach at least 12 or more in my class), it all depends on the number and type of rugs being cleaned . . . and, of course, the size the business. Tub washing is a way to give very dirty rugs more dwell time . . . just like a washing machine does. But if you're only cleaning a few rugs per week, then you can achieve similar results with a "rug pit," kiddy pool, horse trough or the new portable pit called the Marinator. I think Tom Monahan would agree, as your business grows, then you can add the "big" automated equipment. Obviously, the other consideration is the size of your facility. Although we have the volume of rugs, our old building in Denver can't accommodate a centrifuge or other large equipment. We did purchase "Lydia" the tumble duster last year, but she lives outside. That was one of the smartest purchases we've ever made! It save hours of labor when dusting rugs.

Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So glad you decided to come Ruth. You have such a wealth of information on rugs that can be shared here.

You also held your own on the Women's panel. Well done! :headbang:

Loved what I saw of the ID cards, very impressive! :cool:

Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes it was very informative.

Women’s Panel Discussion: Rachel Adams will moderate this panel which will focus on documentation, administration of job and getting paid. One of the most challenging areas of the restoration business is the paperwork and tracking what happened on the jobsite. Rachel will work with some of the real experts in the industry to share what they have learned over the years and help you improve your processes.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Ruth and I go way back to the days of SCT. I even attended her first rug washing gig in Florida after a convention for my RCT. In more recent years a group of us traveled to Turkey in 2012 and just last week we were at the ARCS Convention together. Some great old stories were told over the dinner table in Philadelphia by her secret admirer Bob Carr. She should have a good time tonight. Sorry, but I have a conflict of schedule and cannot join in. Carry on...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom