Work Ethic

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Good luck, Brian. He didn’t ask for a refund and he didn’t ask you to fix it but he was happy to complain to the world before he even got a reply.

Sounds like a guy I ran into a guy into years ago. He didn’t like the $75 minimum to do the family room and got pretty nasty about it. He went ballistic when I added $15 to for the upstairs hall and master bedroom. As I was walking out the door to get started he screamed, “And, you better do a good job, I’ll tell you that!” Actually, it was more like”!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I left.

Not to criticize, but as a recovering anal-retentive carpet cleaner who will probably never hire subcontractors, and, in the Steve’s spirit of tough love, a few things in your response were curious.

“We don't give on time appointments...and they know this”

We’ve all heard about the cable guy, right?

Imagine walking into Olive Garden at 5pm for dinner and being told “Sir, your table will be ready sometime between 5:30 and 10pm.”

Nebulous appointment times are one of the biggest complaints I’ve heard about and an easy opportunity to shine.

“We don't move furniture...especially for the deal price ....they know this.”

Is Mrs. Piffleton really gonna discount her expectations just because we were gracious enough to discount the thoroughness of our work?

Pointing out a permanent stain is one thing. The nasty, smelly, EXCLUDED spots between, around, AND under the sofa, end tables and recliner -- you know, the ones Mrs. Piffleton forgets about until we’re gone -- are perhaps another.

Besides, imagine what the neighbors think of the lawn guy’s work because she liked the sound of his "no-weed-whacker deal price.”

Just saying…

“A little bit of debris on a tile floor does not mean it wasn't cleaned right.”

Okay, but even the lawn guy didn’t say the deal price meant the leaf blower had to stay on the truck the whole time.

“The wife wasn't happy with a few things but was OK enough to pay the bill.”

"OK enough"? This is where, eh hem, phrases like “Our goal is your absolute delight” become ineffective and overused. And, as Steve so often points out, it's one of those golden opportunities to create cheerleaders.

I couldn’t agree more with the 80% Principle. It’s key. And, I realize if I ever send employees out in my place I'm in for a huge adjustment and hope I can instill the value of being mindful of the little things.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I hear ya Wayne...and Richard.

I think Non-Ontime appointments are necessary. Waiting at at restaurant is one thing....Being home is another.
I'm not sure of one in home service industry that will give ontime appointments and make it every time...Unless you're leaving a huge amount of time to be ontime.

Anyway, The whole reason for the window is to give us (and the customer) an opportunity to get it done ASAP. Yes you can be early to an ontime appointment but that's just as bad as being late IMO. Maybe not AS bad ...but bad.

If I give a noon appointment but can make it by 11am....Calling to get permission to be an hour early is inconsiderate ...again ...IMO.

People understand (except this customer lol) that driving and the service performed is going to vary throughout the day.....It's rediculous to give ontime appointments for those reasons.

Not too mention, I like to get done as soon as I'm done....Nothing worse than waiting around to do a job.

I won't try to make excuses for the SUB...I know the deal with OPBs...."other people's business".....Sometimes it just doesn't mean as much to them.

But I have to say...it's fishy.

The customer hasn't returned my calls or emails....and no disputes to the credit card.....Yet.

I just think it's one of those things......slightly sloppy work, crap customer service.....a slightly unsatisfied client who blew it up to her hubby who didn't like the price.

It's a shit can either way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom